I'm looking for warm, musical compact bookshelf speakers and an active subwoofer
Jul 10, 2005 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

taymat

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own a videologic sirocco 2.1 system:
http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/...o/sirocco.html
It's nice and they're the best pc speakers I've heard, but what I'd like is more of the same, especially in the bass area where I feel my current setup is lacking. The bookshelf speakers will be on my computer desk so they can't be wider than 17cm and must be magnetically shielded. My preferences are warm and musical over neutral and accurate. I have a maximum budget of £300 (about $500) and will probably be buying 2nd hand, it's hard to find good stuff on ebay that I think will work well together and sound good to me, so I'd like some suggestions please.
BTW I know about the m-audio studiophile lx4 and the swan m200s, I don't want either. Also I know about the videologic sirocco pro, but it's very rare. Also if it makes it easier for anyone, suggestions for just bookshelf speakers would be good.

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 7
For bookshelf speakers, I would heartily recommend a pair of Klipsch B3's. You might not even need a subwoofer. Those 6.5" woofers put out some great bass, and thanks to a nice port and solid enclosure, it's nice, even, and noise-free. $330 retail.

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 7
Since you're in the UK, you might want to check out the Tannoy Fusion 1s as possible small bookshelves that are supposed to sound nice.

I have the Fusion 2s, which I love, but they are 20,4cm wide and quite high and deep. I managed to squeeze them onto my desk with a little trickery, but they are going to get the stands they deserve in the future...

/JF

P.S. These ARE passive, so you'd need an amp for them... I just reread your post and you might be looking for actives?

Jul 11, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
Since you're in the UK, you might want to check out the Tannoy Fusion 1s as possible small bookshelves that are supposed to sound nice.

I have the Fusion 2s, which I love, but they are 20,4cm wide and quite high and deep. I managed to squeeze them onto my desk with a little trickery, but they are going to get the stands they deserve in the future...

/JF

P.S. These ARE passive, so you'd need an amp for them... I just reread your post and you might be looking for actives?

Thanks for this input, I was strongly considering the tannoy fusion 1 and ts8 sub anyway so they are no 1 on the list right now. I can't get klipsch in the UK MD1032. The main speaker brands in the UK are Tannoy, Mission, Kef, Castle, B&W, Monitor Audio, Dynaudio and Mordaunt Short.

Jul 11, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 7
I recommending getting some Monitor Audio speakers. It may just be me, but I find their tweeters to be the best sounding. Very smooth and silky but not overly bright.

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio18
I recommending getting some Monitor Audio speakers. It may just be me, but I find their tweeters to be the best sounding. Very smooth and silky but not overly bright.

I had monitor audio bronze B2s a few years ago and they sounded too bright for me with a pm7200/cd6000. The cd6000 is a brighter and thinner sounding source than something like a nad521, but I'd still prefer a soft dome tweeter because they usually are softer sounding as you'd expect.

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 7
I feel that the fusion series offers the best bang for bucks (or pounds, as in your case) at the moment. I think it's pretty obvious that they did all the right cost-cutting (the tweeter and woofer come from two previous models, they just combined them, hence the name fusion. They are assembled in china, and the vinyl finish is spartan to say the least). Still, I practically sleep with my arms around one of mine, so draw your conclusions from that.

The fusion 1s look tiny, though, so I'd make sure to listen to them first.

/N

Users who are viewing this thread

Back