I'm looking for something new.
Feb 20, 2017 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Yurihellsing

New Head-Fier
Ok I'm wanting to buy some new heaphones soon but not sure what to get purely because I want to try some new ones. Right I'm going to list a collection of what may seem nonsensical adjectives of what sort of sound I'm looking for.

The bass
I'm looking for something that can deliver smooth “chocolate” bass smooth but DEEP and punchy.
The Treble
Clean and smooth not too harsh like something sharp but rounded.

Mainly used for music styles and genres of all types From rock and metal to house and Happy hardcore. Also not too scared of high volume.

Current Choice is ATH-M50x with Brainwavz pads.

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 10
  Ok I'm wanting to buy some new heaphones soon but not sure what to get purely because I want to try some new ones. Right I'm going to list a collection of what may seem nonsensical adjectives of what sort of sound I'm looking for.

The bass
I'm looking for something that can deliver smooth “chocolate” bass smooth but DEEP and punchy.
The Treble

Mainly used for music styles and genres of all types From rock and metal to house and Happy hardcore. Also not too scared of high volume.

Budget? Open or closed headphones?

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 10

The bass

The Treble

Just have to say just heard them once from a Schiit Stack and found the bass bloated and muddy to me. I'm sure some will disagree but that is audio we all hear what we hear. You might like them I don't know they do have a bit of punch and the highs and mids aren't too bad either. I would pick the Meze 99's over them but they are more expensive.

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 10
I feel you're describing the Denon D2000/5000's, though they're long discontinued. You may be able to find a pair on the marketplace near your budget. Can't think of an in-production equivalent.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Haven't tried the Philips Fidelo X2's but heard good things about their (edit) emphasized bass, plus they have a slightly but not overly v-shaped sound signature so they probably have good treble too. Fun sounding.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 10
I think you could be looking at two open options. One, the aforementioned X2 (doesn't require an amp) and two, the DT990 250 ohm (say) (amp required). Your closed options I think are the M50X or the mentioned DT770 (requires an amp). The only thing you have to know about the two Beyers is that both can be peaky in the treeble, esp the 770. If you are sensitive to treble, you may want to cross them off your list. There aren't that many seriously punchy-bass headphones in this price range, unfortunately. One more you might consider that I have not personally heard but have heard many good things about including its bass performance is the Samson Z55. You might check it out and see what you think.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 10

The bass
The Treble
Clean and smooth...

Audezee LCD-2F

It's like you're describing a sword that just got blunted trying to punch through armor, but can still stab through unprotected meat.

"Sharp" basically means that there's a peak or plateau in the treble that is much stronger than 1000hz, so when you have the volume set to hear the midrange clearly, the cymbals and some vocals will be piercing since they'll be several dB's louder. This like many Beyer headphones.

The opposite of that is if the treble rolls off early or the entire upper midrange to treble region is smooth but the overall response is skewed against it as the 1000hz and below region are much louder. And example of this is the HD650 and LCD-2 on some tube amps that stacks the same effect as their response curve.

What you're looking for is a well extended treble response with no peaks but isn't skewed vs the rest of the range, hence, the LCD-2F, or even the LCD-3.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 10

The bass
The Treble

Wow! I didn't know happy hardcore was still around! We used to have dedicated warehouse raves for that style of music here in the 90s! 

While not my preferred listen, I understand where you are coming from.I think the D2000 is going to be a bit too sharp for you. I know for me, it would be my choice for something that is versatile enough for those genres as has enough low-end to have some presence. For very good recordings the D2000s is going to perform better, so it depends on the quality of the engineering. 

I think the ATH-M50X is a good choice for a number of reasons. It's fairly portable, decent build quality. Not too harsh up top, good bass.

Similarly, the UE6000, discontinued has a nice rotund bottom-end, and is rolled-off on the top end, but still detailed enough. It has a linear signature that still allows it to play well with instruments and vocals, but it excels at bass music. 

My personal choice is the MDR-7520. Pricier, and you'd want to match it with an aftermarket cable for portability (it comes with a coiled studio cable). It bests the M50X, in detail especially. Strong low-end, perfect for metal, house, and happy hardcore. This is a tough headphone, with light yet strong magnesium cups. Some other tough headphones that are also very good are the Sennheiser HD25 1-II, and the Beyerdynamic DT1350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back