im looking for headphones for hq music on pc which don t need amp. or anything else
Apr 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

pixote

New Head-Fier
hi
im new here
i wanted to ask you all a question
i listen to music on my laptop (hp compaq nc8230)
i want to buy headphones for my laptop  for music listening
the most important to say is that i want to buy just headphones( no amp.  no loudspeaker with headphone jack and nothing else)
i have already made  2 wrong shopping
about 2years ago i bought sennheiser hd 380 pro (at that time i was a complete amater)
that was my first mistake because that are not headphones for music listening that are
headphones which are more oriented for studio use,
and my second mistake was when i bought headphones panasonic rp-htf 890
(on the user guide i read that they are for monitoring ,i don t know what that exactly means since my english is not so good) when i listen more than half an hour on them to music my head hurts, they have a little better sound than the first sennheiser hd 380 pro,
but i m not satisfied mwith their sound too
the sennheiser hd 380 pro where easier to wear the the panasonic haedphones
before i bought the panasonic headphones, i ve tested the sennheiser hd 558 from the new sennheiser audiophile series and they were great to where ,but they are headphones that need an amp, i ve tested them in the store on my ipod, and the salesman has told me then that they are headphones for hifi system,so i din t bought them since i listen to music on my laptop , if i head an hifi than it would be the ideal headphones for them
when i tested the panasoni headphones i listened to music  30 sec to them and i didn t then felt that they are uneasy to wear
ok i wont make now the third mistake so i ask you
which are good headphones for music on my laptop which dont need any amp or anything else ,so i wanna just connect the headphones with my pc and the listen to music
i want that the sound is very good and quality and that i can get a great sound without any amp or else other
i listen to rock ,easy listening music and instrumental
i want to spend not more than 250 euros for the headphones
so please people give me now the right answer that i don t make my 3 mistake

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 31
Are you interested in in-ear headphones? they blow away full-size headphones in comfort and are easy to drive, and you don't look like a dork on the go :wink:

Otherwise take a look at ATH-AD700. People say they do well un-amped and audio technica headphones sound very pleasant with extended highs and lows and have great comfort. You should think of what kind of sound you like so we can filter which headphone to recommend you based on your preference in sound signature. Ie: do you like lots of bass - or rather a light sound with high quality treble and neutral bass?

Grados are good for rock because of their exciting / aggressive sound but they are not quite as comfortable.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 31
The Sennheiser HD 428's I had were really comfortable, IMO. Sounded pretty darn good too. I've also read ( never tried ) that the Grado SR60i's are great for rock music and are good unmapped, but you may sacrifice some in the comfort department.

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 31
i dont want earphones to buy that go into your ear,just headphones
what about denon ah-d 2000, do they need a special amp
i want extended spatial sound field  , so when i listen music on my headphones, that i have a feeling like im on a live concert(so i want to get that level  of sound without any special amp if its possible)  i dont know if you have understand me because my english is bad
i found on the net some intersting headphones denon ah-d 2000 , sennheiser hd 598, grado sr 60 and 80, but where i live there s no store so i can just buy them on the net online
i like to listen to bossa nova,easy listening music,classic,rock, everything what good is
please people give me the right advice so that i don t make another mistake again

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 31
The Sennheiser HD598 and HD558 are definately an option. They are very allround and give a nice balanced sound. Their highs are very clear but not fatiguing and the bass is also good but not overwhelming. Mids are forward and smooth.
Also they are not hard to drive but they do scale up well with some kind of amp so they're pretty upgrade proof.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 31
melie i supose you didn t read careful what i have written at the beginning
i ve tested sennheiser hd 558 , that are headphones more fo hifi not for laptop,
they need an amp ,i ve wrote already that im looking for headphones which don t need any amp , and i want to use them for music on my laptop

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
melie i supose you didn t read careful what i have written at the beginning
i ve tested sennheiser hd 558 , that are headphones more fo hifi not for laptop,
they need an amp ,i ve wrote already that im looking for headphones which don t need any amp , and i want to use them for music on my laptop

Strange. I know 2 people who use the HD558 straight out of an iPod. If that works I think a laptop will be able to drive them also. But if you tried it and it didn't soot your needs I'm not going to argue with that. 
Also you said; "i found on the net some intersting headphones denon ah-d 2000 , sennheiser hd 598, grado sr 60 and 80, but where i live there s no store so i can just buy them on the net online". If you didn't like the HD558, you won't like the HD598 either as they have the exact same drivers.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 31
Hifi, listening room, laptop, it doesn't really matter. I've seen people that use Senn HD 800s/Tesla 1, on their computers. Any headphone can be used however you want. The nicer ones are going to need an amp to do their job well. Others, not so much. My M50 have been assigned for "Studio Use" by their manufacturer, but, I listen to music on them... On my computer. Just a thought..

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 31
Also, I read that you want to spend up to 250€. Why don't you buy the HD558 + some cheap amplifier / DAC like the Fiio e7? I know you said that you only want a headphone but there really is no reason to not buy an amp if you are willing to spend up to 250€. Also, the Fiio e7 is portable so you could even use it with your iPhone/iPod. Also, you can later upgrade it with the Fiio e9 when you have some spair money.
You can get a HD558 for 129€ and a Fiio for +-99$. This is well within your budget.

http://www.thomann.de/nl/sennheiser_hd558.htm
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #10 of 31
What about something like the Superlux HD668B? That'll leave you with a lot of money too, in case you want an amp or w/e. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 31
ok lets say i will buy sennheiser hd 558 (or maybe denon ah-d2000)
which amplifier should i buy for them, so that i can connect those headphones with my laptop or ipod and that i can get the maximu good sound
lets say i would give money just for the amp about 250 euro ,if the amp is a little more expensive i can deal with that
i know that the sennheiser hd 558 are great headphones but they need an amp i listened to my ipod with them and saw that they need an amp,the salesman told me that they are more for hifi
so what must i exactly buy that i can connect with the sennheiser hd 558 on my laptop or ipod and that then i can get a high quality sound like when someone uses those sennheiser hd 558 with an quality hifi
i must just say that music that i listen is mostly  in mp3 or wma format or original cd albums
and i must say that my laptop is hp compaq nc 8230 ,my father used it before me so i think he is 5 or 6 years in use,just to let you know
can someone give me the right answer
can i buy an amp that i can connect wit senn hd 558 and ipod and than get a high quality sound like when i use those headphones with a hifi
please help
(sorry for bad english )
thanks in advance

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 31
The two solutions that would work with your laptop and iPod, off the top if my head are the Fiio E7, which a lot if people seem to enjoy, or there is the HeadRoom Total Bithead. Both work as a USB DAC/AMP ( computer use ) and a portable amp ( iPod use ).

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #13 of 31
I would stronly suggest the Yulong u100. Everyone who reviewed it is extremely happy with it. It's also not only an amp but also a very good DAC. If you don't know what a DAC is, a DAC is the electronica that 'makes' the sound. Like your soundcard inside your laptop does but only much much better. It's regarded as the best bang for buck there is at this moment.
I garantie that you'll love the HD558 combo with the Yulong u100.

Review => http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-recommendation-the-yulong-u100-usb-dac/
Shop => http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=92

About the poratbility..
The Yulong is NOT portable. 
If you want something portable you can try the Headroom TotalBithead => http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/headroom-total-bithead.php
Or the Fiio e7 =>
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E7-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003E6K1VK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302280687&sr=8-1
The nice thing about the Fiio is that you can upgrade it with an even better amp, the Fiio e9. This way you put the e7 inside the e9 for even better sound quality =>
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E9-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00470Q76K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302280728&sr=1-1

But, again, if you don't really need something portable, just go for the Yulong u100. It's still better in sound quality than the portable stuff and it's also better if you ever wish to upgrade.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #14 of 31
i listen to the music just at home
to me the most important thing is that i can listen with that to my ipod and laptop
can i with the yulong which you first recomended  and fiio e9 conect to ipod and pc and listen music
at some fiio e7 review( on croatia sites) i read that when i turn the music volume maximum on him that than some
bad murmur,noises come( i don t speak english very well but i hope you have understand me, when i put the volume maximum on that the sound then is unclear what im trying to say to you)
i don t want that to happen
i want to be sure when i bought that ,when i listen to maximum music volume that i get a quality sound
please give me the best advice what should i buy of all this product which you mentioned
i will sure buy one of those headphones:denon ah d2000 or sennheiser hd 558
which amp of those you mentioned are the best of them and which go together with the heads i mentioned 

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #15 of 31
an one new question
is it possible to find an high quality amp for headphones that has two headphone jacks
so that it is possible to connect 2 headphones to the amp so that i and my girl can listen to music together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back