I'm Looking for an MP3/CD Player.. Help?
Mar 17, 2004 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cs1323

100+ Head-Fier
AH! Hello :) Thanks for taking the time to read this!

I'm trying to find a MP3/CD Player that has these features (I'm pretty picky about them too) but so far I've had no luck :frowning2::

-Remote Control /w LCD (Illuminates) and displays ID3 Tags!
-The battery life lasts atleast above 50+ hours
-The player is pretty lightweight & not bulky
-The price is not too expensive
-The player looks cool!
cool.gif

-If its possible, maybe it comes with a li-ion rechargable batter?

That's all! I hope I get a reply
redface.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 11
all that features are too much to ask for a cheap price. cd player todays dont really use Li-on batteries either. the only thing that comes close is the iriver imp550 which is sold for around $140-$150. i does everything you ask for except: li-on bat, 50hours, and is expensive.

or you can wait till the newer model of iriver come out: imp900
http://www.irivernordic.com/products.php?pid=29

Mar 18, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 11
iRiver SlimX-150

it's got a backlight remote with tags (buttons are a bit goofy at first)
The player is light, only costs ~$100.
I think it looks nice, and the sound was pretty good too (Although i did not A/B it with anything, but it seemed pretty good)
there's a built in rechargable battery pack

plus you've got FM reception.

I think it can run 50 hours if you use an external battery pack, but seriously, does it need to run for several consecutive days without recharging the batteries?

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 11
Yea, imp 550 comes the closest to those requirements. It says it can go 55 hours, but that's kinda pushing it... why would need such a long playing time anyways?
Personally, 10 hours is all I need... I mean, I'm awake for 16 hours each day, and 7 of them I spend at school (or if you have a job, at work) but I guess it be nice for vacations and stuff (if you're going out for a long time)

$130 is not a bad price... just depends if you can afford it.

imp 350 is a slightly tonned down version (in terms of ability)

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by oneeyedhobbit
What are the differences between the higher and lower end iRiver CD/mp3 players?

I think most iRiver players have similiar interfaces/functions... I would venture to say that it's mostly size of memory/storage. And in the case of new models that's yet to be released, color screen vs one color, and probably video play and not and such...

Mar 18, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Zuerst
I think most iRiver players have similiar interfaces/functions... I would venture to say that it's mostly size of memory/storage. And in the case of new models that's yet to be released, color screen vs one color, and probably video play and not and such...

Whoa, I didn't know MP3 CD players had storage and color screens!
tongue.gif

Think you're confusing them with MP3 hard drive players.

I looked around irivers site, the higher end ones have a few more feautures, are smaller, more skip protection, etc.

Mar 18, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 11
Also newer models have more flash memory, so - whenever they release the firmware - they'll be able to play both mp3, wma AND ogg, whereas the older model only will be able to play mp3 and wma OR ogg.

I think the imp-550 is pretty damn good soundwise, maby even better then my iPod, but that might be because it wav vs mp3.

Mar 19, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 11
Yea, there are insane CD players coming out with color screens (like my cell phone) and that have onboard internal memory for firmware... and maybe for extra music if they're that insane.

550 is top of the line (maybe the best CD player out there - the sound quality)
350 is midrange, and 50 is low end. Those under imp350 just suck... sure, if you don't have any high capacity music players, then the imp 50/150 with their 700 meg per CD cap. would be nice, but if you already got one that plays mp3, then you should consider 350 and higher.

150 and 50 both have a reverse CD loading system. The only two reasons for this is;

Safer LCD screen and controls, because they are on player base, not a flimsy cover.

Smaller size.

They got the durability part right... but 150 is like fat. Same with 50. You'd expect they be smaller considering that everything is on one side of the player, instead of two... but instead, they made it even bigger... I have no clue how that happened, but oh well.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 11
Sounds like you may want to invest in a Sony Walkman CD. Outside of the higher end models of iRiver products (450, 500, 550), the Sony's D-NE1 is the only one that'll come close to meeting your needs:

1) Slim Design, reminiscent of their Walkman CDs
2) Insane Battery life, 150 hours with 2AA and 2 Gumsticks, 50 with 2 Gumstick Batteries. Rechargable with its own recharging stand.
3) Backlit remote, compatiable with other Sony Walkman products.
4) Optical Out for your home deck or MD recording.
5) Looks pretty damn nice, especially when its standing on its stand.

The only hitch... Price is $200, you know Sony and their premium products.

The MP3 decoding is somewhat lacking vs. iRivers, but then again, I rate iRiver as about the best there is when it comes to portable MP3 players, CD, HD, or whatever.

I've also heard some good raves about the new D-Sound range from Panasonic though I haven't tried it myself. They have several models, ranging from $50-$70 last time I checked. I think one model even came with free alkaline batteries too.

Also, if you can track it down, the iSlimX-350 was going for $129 ish at Best Buy a while back. I haven't seen them since, but I'm sure they're still floating around out there somewhere. They also meet all your needs as well, with less battery time vs. the Sony.

Finally, to comment on the iRivers, I believe the iMP150, 250 (Rios 250 included), and 350s are one and the same (same DSP, different sizes and features), the 450, 500, and 550 would be iRiver's 3rd gen CDMP3 players. Aside from using different DSP vs their 2nd gen players, they also have more flash memory, which allows it to handle other codecs more gracefully vs. the previous players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back