I'm looking for an equipment review website
Oct 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Punchy71

New Head-Fier
Is there a website I can visit where I can read audiophile consumer reviews (not magazine, blog or website editor reviews) of equipment (preferably with some kind of rating system such as star ratings or numbers or percentage ratings)? I saw a few ratings and reviews on Amazon but only for very few new equipment and no vintage.

Thank you

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 6
I would recommend head-fi,org, there are a lot of reviews on the forums.  :D

Honestly I find that forums are the best place to get consumer reviews, a lot of consumer review sites have fake reviews from sellers on them to boost scores.  Sound is a subjective thing so number based rating systems are over rated.  Just search out the product you are looking at on one of the many audiophile forums, chances are someone has reviewed it.

Just my thoughts.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 6
Depending on what type of audiophile equipment your looking for, check out innerFidelity.com, headphonia.com  or Stereophile.com is where I get many of the online reviews I'm looking for but they are of course website editor reviews.  Perhaps check out Audioreview.com for more user reviews than Amazon but it's hit or miss there. 

For home based audio/video reviews that I can't find here, I'll spend my time over on avsforum.com.  Like here at headfi, AVSF has tons of actual user information pertiaing to specific home audio/video equipment. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 6
+1 on the suggestions above. I would be a little less concerned with strict number rating systems, though. Even when people try to be objective, they could rate the same experience differently on different days just based on their mood, how much earwax is in their ears, or the weather.

It's better to read many reviews from different sources, read all the reviews by a particular reviewer so you get a feel for what sort of gear they like (and how it compares to your own taste), and experience as many different pieces of equipment as possible so you always have at least a somewhat applicable reference (e.g. I've heard X, and X is supposed to sound like Y, and Reviewer 1 says that Z sounds like Y). Also, knowing how to read objective measurements can be very useful for those times when the written review just doesn't touch on something you'd like to know. That said, misreading measurements is worse than not reading them at all, so be careful.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Depending on what type of audiophile equipment your looking for, check out innerFidelity.com, headphonia.com  or Stereophile.com is where I get many of the online reviews I'm looking for but they are of course website editor reviews.  Perhaps check out Audioreview.com for more user reviews than Amazon but it's hit or miss there. 

For home based audio/video reviews that I can't find here, I'll spend my time over on avsforum.com.  Like here at headfi, AVSF has tons of actual user information pertiaing to specific home audio/video equipment. 

I think Head-fi, Headfonia.com and innerfidelity.com are the 3 main ones to go to

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 6
I've found innerfidelity to be good. Very good infact.

Never ever ever use gizmodo, engadget, cnet, or any such sites for reviews. Most of it is biased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back