I'm looking for a Warm but Neutral sounding Over ear headphone under $700
Aug 27, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 36
I would also recommend MrSpeakers Aeon or the Meze 99 Classics.

Thank you for responding Wyllio. I tried the NAD VISO HP50 and the Meze 99 Classics on the same day. The Meze kind of grabbed my attention immediately. They reminded me a little of the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless but with a better seal. Thank you for the suggestions.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 36
It's a fairly massively modified Fostex T50RP. It is warmish with outstanding imaging and super-punchy bass. I like it a lot, but then it suits my tastes quite well. Some thoughts and YMMV, of course.

Thank you Serman005, I'll do my research on these as well.

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 36
Don't forget to search the classifieds for used headphones. Your money will go a lot further buying used. Plus resale is less of a hit to the wallet.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #19 of 36
I've been spending some time looking for the exact configuration. So far, my favorites under $1000 have been the HD600, Oppo PM-3, HiFiman HE-400s, and the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home. Of the bunch, the least fatiguing and versatile are the HD600 and the PM-3. So far, I've had a hell of a hard time finding something warm/neutral that can dethrone the HD600. They are the Super Mario of sub $1000 headphones.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 36
I've been spending some time looking for the exact configuration. So far, my favorites under $1000 have been the HD600, Oppo PM-3, HiFiman HE-400s, and the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home. Of the bunch, the least fatiguing and versatile are the HD600 and the PM-3. So far, I've had a hell of a hard time finding something warm/neutral that can dethrone the HD600. They are the Super Mario of sub $1000 headphones.
He wants closed back.... sadly.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #21 of 36
Try to find a used pair of either Mr. Speaker's Alpha Prime or ZMF Blackwoods.
The Alpha Primes are more neutral than the Blackwoods with more of an emphasis on the treble.
The Blackwoods are warmer than the Primes with more of an emphasis on the sub-bass.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #22 of 36
I have SE846s and love them. The ATH W1000Xs dont sound anything like them.

Oppo PM-1s do, kinda. The LCD2s have similar characteristics. I'd say try the Audeze EL-8s? I havent heard them, though, but if they have the Audeze sound, they might be worth trying out.

Otherwise, Senn HD650s. They are still amazing headphones and probably come the closest to meeting your requirements.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #23 of 36
I have SE846s and love them. The ATH W1000Xs dont sound anything like them.

Oppo PM-1s do, kinda. The LCD2s have similar characteristics. I'd say try the Audeze EL-8s? I havent heard them, though, but if they have the Audeze sound, they might be worth trying out.

Otherwise, Senn HD650s. They are still amazing headphones and probably come the closest to meeting your requirements.

Thank you for responding vkalia. I had previously owned the Audeze EL-8C, The LCD-2, and The Sine. I thought I would have kept the EL-8C but for whatever reason it always felt like something was missing. I didn't get the same sense of enjoyment like I do with the Elear or SE846. The only pair of Audeze's I haven't tried were the LCD-4, Sine DX, and LCDi4. The LCD-X, and LCD-XC are the only ones I've enjoyed thoroughly thus far. Based on a lot of the feedback and research I've done; It seems like I would be happy with the The Meze 99 Classic, Oppo PM3, or the Mr. Speakers Aeon. I'm strongly considering the Aeon. I find planar magnetic headphones to be a bit intriguing, I will probably wait until October to see if they are right for me. At the moment I'm trying out the AKG K872's. This is a rather interesting headphone.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #24 of 36
I wanted to thank everyone for contributed to this thread. I ended up with some AKG K872's and Audioquest Night Owl Carbon's. Definitely going to try all of the suggestions as well. Looking forward to auditioning the Mr. Speakers Aeon next month.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #25 of 36
If you have the K872's I agree they are interesting as they I think are song dependent not genre dependent. If you want them to blow you away with bass cranck up Griz "My Friends and I" It is a rap tune but with some funk and is totally awesome with the 872's IMO.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #26 of 36
Revisiting this years later... I went through all these headphones and IEMs just to find I really love Audeze, Astell & Kern Collaborations, Cavalli, TEAC, and Hybrid Tube Amps. I found my endgame, curated my gear and now it is time to leave this money pit.

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #29 of 36
No one got the right answer because the question is bogus.
If it's warm, it's not neutral
If it's neutral, it's not warm
The characteristics do not meet or intersect anywhere.

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #30 of 36
No one got the right answer because the question is bogus.
If it's warm, it's not neutral
If it's neutral, it's not warm
The characteristics do not meet or intersect anywhere.
You're entitled to your opinion. I posed the question years ago and found what I liked.. Keyword being "I". The answers in the thread steered me towards a sound signature I found most pleasing to my ears. I described it as being neutral with a hint of warmth. Meaning I didn't want sibilant highs. I found value in the answers provided. Your opinions added no value to the thread. But you're welcome to post. Carry on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back