I'm looking for a new IEM under $150
Dec 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Qnfauf

New Head-Fier
Head-Fi helped me on deciding to get a DT880 last time, but I am now looking for a pair of IEM to carry around.

So here are some things I am looking for
- Under $150
- Good noise isolation
- More or less neutral sound
- Will be used without an amp

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 11
I guess from my perspective it depends on which, if any, in-ear monitor you're accustomed to at present and what other headphones you own. I have owned 2 pairs of Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10s and I'd struggle to live with anything with a lower level of sound quality. The new ones are a bit above your budget though. However, if you would consider buying used, I see Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10s on Amazon.com at $150.

In my opinion they're a fairly neutral in-ear monitor that offer solid isolation provided you find the right tips for your ears. There are a good selection of tips available so you should find something to suit. In terms of future upgradeability, for the ultimate fit, you can have custom in-ear sleeves made up for these. I got my sleeves off ACS in the UK and they made a big difference in the sound quality and isolation.

If you would consider buying used, you're getting good bang for your buck with these.

I couldn't really recommend anything else because once I got used to these, less expensive monitors just wouldn't cut it for me. That said, I did have a pair of Shures a few years ago (the E2C which are now defunct) which were a fairly good step up from ear buds and the likes - though the Triple Fi 10s are a lot better. If you want to buy new, the likes of Shure 215s may be worth a look.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 11
The Rock It Sounds R-50 is balanced and quite neutral with a price tag of $120.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 11
The UE700's for $75 at Amazon would be a nice, detailed set - accurate and will work great without an amp.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 11
I guess from my perspective it depends on which, if any, in-ear monitor you're accustomed to at present and what other headphones you own. I have owned 2 pairs of Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10s and I'd struggle to live with anything with a lower level of sound quality. The new ones are a bit above your budget though. However, if you would consider buying used, I see Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10s on Amazon.com at $150.

In my opinion they're a fairly neutral in-ear monitor that offer solid isolation provided you find the right tips for your ears. There are a good selection of tips available so you should find something to suit. In terms of future upgradeability, for the ultimate fit, you can have custom in-ear sleeves made up for these. I got my sleeves off ACS in the UK and they made a big difference in the sound quality and isolation.

If you would consider buying used, you're getting good bang for your buck with these.

I couldn't really recommend anything else because once I got used to these, less expensive monitors just wouldn't cut it for me. That said, I did have a pair of Shures a few years ago (the E2C which are now defunct) which were a fairly good step up from ear buds and the likes - though the Triple Fi 10s are a lot better. If you want to buy new, the likes of Shure 215s may be worth a look.

Thanks! I currently own a pair of JBuds J2, so it should be a significant improvement whichever I end up buying. I actually bought DT880 used, so I don't have anything against buying things used.
Also, thanks for digging this thread up. I thought I wasn't going to get any replies :D

Keep an eye open in the deal section . There are some great pre Christmas deals happening

Thanks. I am thinking of this as a Christmas present for myself haha.

HiFiMan RE262 is pretty good value for $150, but I'm not too sure about neutrality. 

The Rock It Sounds R-50 is balanced and quite neutral with a price tag of $120.

The UE700's for $75 at Amazon would be a nice, detailed set - accurate and will work great without an amp.

RE262 looks great, and both R-50 and UE700 look like a great value. I think I am leaning towards R-50 for now after reading some reviews. I haven't heard of Rockit Sounds before, but everyone here seems to say that they sound great, especially for the price. Their design looks a bit dull for me so that might make me look at other options, but it's not the most important thing either.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 11
Dec 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 11
If you like a mid-centric sound signature then yes the BA200 is the way to go but since you say you want a neutral signature the R-50 would be a great choice.  Don't let the looks fool you they're a top-tier IEM where it counts and that's in sound quality.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 11
Personally, I think these are the best bang for the buck that can be found:
TDK BA-200 Dual Balanced Armature In Ear Headphone
ir

Read all about it here.

If you like a mid-centric sound signature then yes the BA200 is the way to go but since you say you want a neutral signature the R-50 would be a great choice.  Don't let the looks fool you they're a top-tier IEM where it counts and that's in sound quality.

Thanks for the inputs. I think I'm going to get the R-50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back