I'm looking for a desktop DAC or DAC / AMP for speakers and headphones. Under $200
May 7, 2020 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Galeonero

100+ Head-Fier
Hello people of the forum, I am looking for a DAC or DAC / AMP for headphones and speakers more than anything for my PC(w10), I would like it to cost below 200 dollars. I do not know if it says so but I would like it to have a good presence of media and note the difference of using the 3.5 mm output of the notebook. I say this because I had several DACs like Hidizs HD Sonata II and Shanling UP2, it really does not show much difference against the dac of my notebook (acer spin 3) only note that they had more presence of low frequencies, more bass but other than that nothing, Then they seemed to me an unjustified expense and I ended up selling them.

I have in view FiiO K3 or K5 PRO, I do not know if it is worth paying 50 dollars more for the k5 pro. Or even if there is a better option from another brand.

May 7, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 18
Have you tried Foobar2000 with WASAPI, for playing audio files, it might have made a difference with using the DACs you tried.
I say to go for the FiiO K5 Pro.

May 8, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 18
What are your headphones? Not everything scales up equally with better equipment. Which software and what file formats are you using mostly? Ain't no use trying to make 128kbps mp3 sound better!

May 8, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 18
What are your headphones? Not everything scales up equally with better equipment. Which software and what file formats are you using mostly? Ain't no use trying to make 128kbps mp3 sound better!
Hello, I use YouTube and some albums that I have in flac from 16 to 24 bits. And I have some FiiO FA1 although surely later I will buy some over ear (very possibly beyerdinamic dt 770 pro)

May 8, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 18
Soundmagic HP151 headphones, they are like an improved DT770.

May 8, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 18
I was going to recommend you a Zen DAC from iFi but if you get the 250ohms DT770 pro, it might not drive it to it's full potential. It will certainly drive them loud enough but maybe not with much headroom left. Some entry level Schiit like the Magni/ Modi combo has all the required power and is a very good step in better sound. If you get the 80 ohms version or anything easier to drive like the Soundmagic HP151 or your IEMs, I stick to the Zen DAC.

May 8, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 18
Soundmagic HP151 headphones, they are like an improved DT770.
Thank you very much for the recommendation, I still have nothing decided. From what I'm seeing they are not as comfortable as the DT770 pro and that works against me, although it is not the only one I have in view, the Beyerdinamic is a possibility, although I am reading that they tend to put a lot of pressure on the ears and That means that I do not like it, if I already feel that these Sony xm3 are pressing on my ear, the beyerdinamic may make me uncomfortable.

May 8, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 18
Thank you very much for the recommendation, I still have nothing decided. From what I'm seeing they are not as comfortable as the DT770 pro and that works against me, although it is not the only one I have in view, the Beyerdynamic is a possibility, although I am reading that they tend to put a lot of pressure on the ears and That means that I do not like it, if I already feel that these Sony xm3 are pressing on my ear, the beyerdynamic may make me uncomfortable.
I own both the DT770 and HP151, I do not have a comfort issue with the HP151, which I was using just last night.
I have not used my DT770 in years.

May 8, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 18
I own both the DT770 and HP151, I do not have a comfort issue with the HP151, which I was using just last night.
I have not used my DT770 in years.
Great then, the only thing that leaves me in doubt is the headband reminds me of my ex ATH-M50x it breaks my head, is it more padded?
Where you bought it? In amazon they do not have stock.

May 8, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 18
I was going to recommend you a Zen DAC from iFi but if you get the 250ohms DT770 pro, it might not drive it to it's full potential. It will certainly drive them loud enough but maybe not with much headroom left. Some entry level Schiit like the Magni/ Modi combo has all the required power and is a very good step in better sound. If you get the 80 ohms version or anything easier to drive like the Soundmagic HP151 or your IEMs, I stick to the Zen DAC.
Thanks for the recommendation, it looks pretty good, although from what I am reading there is a failed batch from the factory in Amazon and since I can not return it because I import it to my country, I would not want a faulty unit to touch me and throw the money at trash.

May 8, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks for the recommendation, it looks pretty good, although from what I am reading there is a failed batch from the factory in Amazon and since I can not return it because I import it to my country, I would not want a faulty unit to touch me and throw the money at trash.

Don't buy anything you can't return, specially if there is no warranty if it's broken or has defects. Get a different reseller.

May 8, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 18
I have the k3, and it is a great dac/amp. But I also have a schiit magni heresy. I use hifiman he-4xx headphones. I have found that is the magic combination for me. I use the line out from the k3 to the heresy. I find the k3 sounds better than the 3.5 output of my laptop. It just doesn’t have the punch that the heresy has. If I hadn’t bought the k3 previously, I would have gotten the k5pro. Hope any of that helps.

May 8, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 18
Great then, the only thing that leaves me in doubt is the headband reminds me of my ex ATH-M50x it breaks my head, is it more padded?
Where you bought it? In amazon they do not have stock.
I think I bought my HP151 used,
It's mostly plastic, so it's fairly light, for its size.
I'm 95% bald on top and it does not cause me any issues.
Checked around, sometimes it's sells for new $125, but currently it's going for over $200 :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back