I'm looking at buying open-back headphones
May 3, 2023 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Donut

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking to buy a new set of headphones. Open-back. Budget is preferably in the $400-600 range, but I can stretch depending on if it would be worth the money.

Some background: my main source is a bit of a limitation: I listen and watch almost everything through my computer. I am running a Topping DX3 Pro, so I have that at least. But movies, tv shows, music - which are largely mp3s - those are all through my computer. Not a separate system. My main headphones are currently a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro [80 ohm]. The headphones I buy would almost certainly be run through the Topping. Music choices consists of everything, but leans toward metal, hip-hop, and various types of rock.

Since these are for at-home use only - and I already have a set of closed-back - I'd like to vary things by getting a set of full size open-back over-ear headphones. My first inclination was to go for the Sennheiser HD650, as I've owned Senns before and have an idea of what I'd be getting into. Then I started thinking the HD660S2 might be more my speed, as I'd want more of that low-end sub-bass. Then I started reading further, and thought the Hifiman Edition XS sounded incredible, but I have heard things about build quality that make me recoil some. In theory, I'm debating between the HD660S2 and the Edition XS. Kinda leaning towards the Hifimans and hoping for the best with regards to build quality. They sound like a real best-value prospect at their price point. I have owned a set of Hifiman IEMs in the past and they were fine.

But then I started looking at higher price tiers, wondering if it would be worth it. Meze 109 Pro came to mind. Maybe Audeze LCD-2 or LCD-X.

So I need some advice. Is my thought process on the right track? Or is there something out there I haven't thought of?

May 3, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I was kind of a similar situation as you, with a DT 990. I went for the Edition XS. It’s a solid to great headphone for the price, and a great introduction to planar magnetic headphones.
I ended up getting the upgrade itch and purchased the LCD-XC though. I love it on another level! Think you’ll enjoy the LCD-X and planers in general based on your genre preferences.

Edit: I did have some issues with creaky-ness and build so ended up returning my first pair of Edition XS. The 2nd pair is great though--feels more solid!

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 13
Since you already have the DX3 Pro Plus (I could not find the DX3 Pro) and it is single-ended-only, you should check out the Audeze MM-100 for $399:

https://www.audeze.com/products/mm-100

At that price, you could also pick up a Drop x Sennheiser HD6xx, but in that case, you should wait until a $180 sale with Black Friday being the latest. :wink:

May 3, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Audeze LCD X, Hifiman Arya & Focal Clear MG are mine recommendations

May 3, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 13
If you have the money go for Audeze.

May 4, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 13
Beyerdynamic T 1.3. You can get them for around $700 on sale or B stock.
For your use case it's a great option.

May 4, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 13
I got the meze 109 pro, some weeks ago. But havent listened to them much yet. Havent got the time. But i had the edition xs a short time. But for me the build quality was really poor. Plasticy and cheap looking. The sound was good though. I was skeptic at the look of the meze's. But once i got them, i thought they looked really nice. I also like that you can buy spare parts. So it can last really long.

May 4, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 13
Ps: Also the comfort is really,really good on the 109 pro. Only some slight pressure on the chin/cheeks.Maybe one of the most comfortable headphone ive tried alongside with the beyerdynamic amiron home.

Maybe someone else can coment on the sound. Since ive just got these short while ago.

May 4, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 13
I'm also a huge, huge fan of the ATH-R70X for comfort -- weightless -- and clarity. But two caveats for the OP -- they are more analytical than roaring, and it looks like your music choices want some roar.

They can run straight out of a headphone jack but definitely benefit from an amp. Aren't you running your computer audio through the Topping?

If you do want to try the ATH-R70X, best price in the US and probably Europe is Thomann, which has a 30-day return policy. Be careful opening the outer box/sleeve since you may want to return them; I had to look at an unboxing video on YouTube.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

May 4, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Double checked, just to be sure. I indeed do have the DX3 Pro, not the Pro Plus. Mine was the predecessor to the Pro Plus. I'm specifically running just my headphones through the Topping. My speakers have a direct line to my computer. Found a link to it:

https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx3-pro

The Audeze MM-100 isn't out yet? Sounds fascinating though. I could even get a HD6XX on top of that. Kinda makes me want the MM-500, though that's spendy. Still fascinated by the Edition XS and 109 Pro. I've always wanted a pair of Audio Technicas, and the R70X sounds interesting, but as you said, analytical may not necessarily fit a lot of my musical choices. T1.3 sounds interesting, and I *do* like the Beyerdynamics I already have. Might have to wait and see about the MM-100 before I make a decision, because the HD6XX at that price point is seriously tempting.

Secondary question: would it be worth it to upgrade the amp/dac I currently have? I used to run a Schitt stack, but a power surge during a storm sadly fried the equipment. Bad surge protector. Never. Again.

May 5, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 13
If you want more lively sound hunt gor used OG Clear, it can get hot in higher mid/lower treble region
Darker signature, yet technically very capable with good timbre and slightly better bass NDH 30

Forget all the rest like hifimans/audezes for 400-600$ they are not in the same league

May 5, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 13
look at JM Editions XTC. Close to your budget and it will be tuned exactly to your preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back