I'm look for a specific type of Jazz style...
Jul 6, 2008 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

montell

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I know nothing and I dont know where to start but I was looking for a specific type of jazz style. Its played in lots of movies from the 80ies. Saxophone player is prominent and its non vocal. It kind of reminds me of cyberpunk movies like Blade Runner. Dark abandoned alleys with lots of smoke, detectives in trench coats, 80ies.

I could explain it the best with this example...
YouTube - Cowboy Bebop OST 3 - Road to the West

What is this type of jazz called? And any got more recommendations??

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 11
That sounds much as "smooth jazz". You might like artists as Dave Koz, David Sanborn, Chris Botti, and groups like Rippingtons, Fourplay, Yellowjackets... In the softer side of that it would be Kenny G and in a more funky maybe George Benson or Grover Washington Jr.

Rgrds

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 11
I just listened to a few tunes from those artists. I havent listened to all but thats the kind of jazz you hear in shopping malls or elevators. Whereas I was more thinking of jazz you hear in the movies.

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 11
Perhaps if you turned the light off in the elevator and ate some popcorn...

See ya
Steve

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 11
It's not a style of jazz, per se, just a saxist improvising sort of balladic choruses over a keyboard. "Smooth jazz" is a bit more innocuous. It's not going to be easy to find a record of someone doing that, because it's conceived as a background scenesetter. But I think some of Charles Lloyd's early comeback records in the late '80s/early '90s (on ECM) have that lone sax kinda vibe, though, without being mall-type music.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I know nothing and I dont know where to start but I was looking for a specific type of jazz style. Its played in lots of movies from the 80ies. Saxophone player is prominent and its non vocal. It kind of reminds me of cyberpunk movies like Blade Runner. Dark abandoned alleys with lots of smoke, detectives in trench coats, 80ies.

I could explain it the best with this example...
YouTube - Cowboy Bebop OST 3 - Road to the West

What is this type of jazz called? And any got more recommendations??

Do you like this? Amazon.com: Charlie Parker with Strings: The Master Takes: Charlie Parker with Strings: Music

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Blade Runner Blues and Love theme from the Blade Runner soundtrack nails it. I'm kind of looking for something like that. But I guess the song in my first post is really unique. I still have to check Charles Lloyd though.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 11
You want soundtracks. Look for contemporary romance movies.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back