I'm Launching A New Website
Jan 26, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Pretty cool, Mick - but is the font change on the lower part of the general description page intended? And maybe you should include a FAQ section: My first question would be, whether MT stands for motor trawler. And I'd also like to know where the name Jacinta originally comes from (apart from the ship with the same name before...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Some smoother fonts and a more marine color scheme could be nice, too...

Thanks for the comments Lini,

Yes, MT is the usual abbreviation for Motor Trawler. The name is a spanish Girls name. Back in 1911 the Marr family were holidaying on the mediteranean coast and they took a liking to the girls names that were use at that time so when got around to building new vessels they adopted the names.

Other vessels are Gavina, Lunda, Irvana, Vela, Hildina to name but a few.

Thanks for pointing out the font change. I'll see that it gets changed to match the rest of the site. That's the sort of stuff i've been looking for
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Other vessels are Gavina, Lunda, Irvana, Vela, Hildina to name but a few.

If an Englishman were picking up women in Spanish pubs would that be called 'PUB TRAWLING'?
biggrin.gif
redface.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 23
Very interesting site! Lots of great information.
On the home page I'd suggest putting a bit more info as to where and what it is. Since the Web is global, it's helpful to know up front that it's a UK site, so I'd at least put the town, shire and UK. (Make sure on ALL addresses you have that "UK" is on it. It sounds silly to have to be so specific, but many people may not have a clue.)
Also on the home page perhaps a tagline relating to the preserved status of the vessel. So when you come upon it, you have some clue as to what or why this site exists. (ie, it's not a commercial business...) I assume you'll submit to search engines so people will get here from various means.
I went through some pages and on the "Virtual Quick Tour" the nav selections on the left went to a miniscule font. Not sure why they changed so dramatically on that drill down.
I admit that a softer background than bright white would be easier on the eyes, but don't make it busy since you have so many nice images. Just maybe even a softer shade (off white maybe?)
At a later point you might like to add a search capability within the site.
I wouldn't get too fancy on graphic design, as this type of vessel is a nice straightforward boat. So I think that clean design works with the whole tenor of the information etc. If that makes sense. I've dealt with a lot of corporate web design projects, and you want the site to have the right feel. I think a clean feel like you have is excellent!
Hope this was helpful...

Jan 26, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #21 of 23
nicely done, but needs more visually. Add some color in the sidebar and change the links to different font/color maybe???

smaller opening page (when running explorer in windows, not maximized i had to scroll to open the page)

Bolder titles

I'm not a graphics person, but thats just some basic stuff that IMHO i think would help the site visually.

Jan 28, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #22 of 23
From your custom status, I'm guessing you live in England... you might be interested in this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3117050.stm

Quote:

Ensuring web sites are easy for disabled people to use is no longer an option - it is a legal obligation.

The Royal National Institute of the Blind in Peterborough is warning that anyone running a site faces prosecution if they fail to comply with the law.

The new legislation applies anyone who runs a website - individuals or companies.

So remember those alt tags
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Thanks for the comments Lini, (...)

You're welcome - and thanks to you for the further info!

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back