I'm kind of afriad to buy expensive IEMs
Oct 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

seanwookie

New Head-Fier
I'm kind of afriad to buy expensive IEMs because the ones i've had before broke within a month of getting them. Granted they were cheapos and ibuds. WIll Shure products last a long time? Because I want longevity and good sound. Also what are good IEMs under $100?

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 19
Shure don't exactly have a good reputation when it comes to cable issues, but the customer service is supposed to be good. If you buy 'expensive' IEM's, i'd say; take the time and go to the manufacturers website, pick an authorized dealer, pony up the dough and don't try and grab a bargain from ebay, keep the receipt.

I preferred the westone UM's to the Shure's, and my Triple.fi's have yet to suffer any problems, and not reported issues for the UE 5EB's i had or the metro.fi's that i've had for nearly 2 years.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 19
I wouldn't say I treat them badly but I'm kind of clumsy. I'm used to using $6 buds from the grocery store when my ibuds die. It seems Ibought a pair at least once a month. I just want something that I can just shove in my pocket and will still last.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 19
shure is known for their cable splitting after some time so it is best to get it from an authorized dealer in case that does happen which means u will have to pay a bit more but definitely worth it. and yes shure definitely has great customer service

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say I treat them badly but I'm kind of clumsy. I'm used to using $6 buds from the grocery store when my ibuds die. It seems Ibought a pair at least once a month. I just want something that I can just shove in my pocket and will still last.

Hmm... Shure's cable aren't that durable so if you shove them in your pocket I don't think they will last longer than couple months for you. Maybe you should start treating your earphones better, like storing them in a case when not in use (Shure and other IEM manufacturers do supply a carrying case/pouch).

Maybe you should look into ones that have better cables such as Westone, or with replaceable cables like UE.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 19
actually regardless of what u get i wouldnt shove them in my pocket...iem's especially the ones that get suggested around here can get expensive relative to what u are used to so its better just to keep them in a case

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 19
Go with Klipsch, they have 2 year warranties. I just sent my x10's in recently because i was having some issues, and the warranty process was hassle free so far. Also I hear their s4's are the bomb for under $100 iems.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 19
Oct 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 19
Ya, no matter how large the price tag is on a pair of IEMs if you just shove them in your pocket they will give out in a couple of months, i know this form experince; ive went through around 3 pairs of 20 dolalrs IEMs in about 1/2 years because I just shoved them in my pocket

get a good pair of IEMs and a case; and when you're done using them carefully wrap them up and put them in the case.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 19
I agree with the general sentiment here; if sound quality is important to you to pay for, it's important enough to commit to marginally careful treatment of your phones, and a good case.

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 19
I've owned my UM1 for 3 years and I carry them around in my pocket all the time. I've also sucked the cable into the intake of a leaf blower that the guard has fallen off of. They're still going strong.

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 19
To the OP...under $100, no doubt the Klipsch S4 is a clear winner. But read the threads, they need burn-in, 100 hours seems to be the magic mark. Otherwise, they may seem somewhat harsh. I didn't even like them out of the box, but now, I've sold off all my other phones save the $379 UM3X. Those two pair are enough for me, and I have owned dozens.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 19
Shure has pretty good warranty, they are a good company. IEMs should last quite a few years most of the time. I have heard many good things about the S4 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back