I'm joining the ranks
Jul 1, 2004 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tuckers

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I have a pair of HD 650s and an ASL MG Head DT/OTL MKIII on the way. I haven't had a good headphone since my pairs of Stax Lamba pros in the eighties!

I need them to do some critical listening to some circuits we are developing, and it's a good excuse to jump in.

Can anyone point me to threads that discuss NOS tubes for the ASL?

I'm really looking forward to hearing the great sound available today.

Cheers all,
Tuckers

Jul 1, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Congrats, and welcome to Head-Fi... I'd say sorry about your wallet but at least you went straight into something very nice... Now get outta here before we help you spend, spend, spend!!!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 12
I had some outstanding credit with a dealer and he carried both, so I paid very little. But yes, I have to control the urges to spend spend spend!
rolleyes.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by md01
Now you need cable upgrade and a better source... oh and maybe another pair of cans with an alternative sound signature.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Let's say it together now... "we don't need Head-Fi..."
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 12
biggrin.gif
I got some NOS from Upscale Audio, Mullard 12ax7 CV4004 and a couple of NOS russian 6BQ5s (can't remember what brand).

I'm going to pick up the rig today, and should have the NOS by Wed. Very Exciting.

I'm looking forward to tube rolling. I had a lot of fun and was rewarded with great sound when I tweaked my Audio Note 3.1 balanced DAC.

The dealer I have credit with has Cardas cable replacements. How does Cardas rate for cable?

What is the maximum length one should use before the sonics are compromised? I could use up to 25 feet in my situation.

Jul 3, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 12
So, when are going to get another pair of Stax?
lambda.gif

Jul 3, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 12
I only had the cheapo Stax transformer box at the time, but Stax sound has always been a bit too lean for me. I've heard some of the more recent Stax at shows (in the music seller booths) and I haven't heard much to change that. Have they progressed much in the last twenty years?

Jul 3, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuckers
The dealer I have credit with has Cardas cable replacements. How does Cardas rate for cable?

You might want to read this comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back