Im in the market for some new IEMs, what do you recommend?
May 2, 2006 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
So
My first pair of IEMs were Shure e2cs,
a bit muddy and unrefined, so I got rid of them and picked up the super fi pro 5s.

Its been a while since i used the e2c's but if memory serves me correctly the jump in quality wasn't that great.

the super fis were still a bit too muddy and lacked resolution and precision.

However I do not like sibilance of bright sound. I like neutral, well represent sound that is refined, clear and not smeared.

any recommendations?

what would be a good step up from the superfis? sorry no audiologists in my area so custom molds is not an option for me.

Some requirements would be, good soundstage representation, balanced frequency response and good seperation between notes and instruments.

so far my last two seems to smear them a bit.

I was looking at the e4gs or the um2s,

do they sound like they fit the bill?

May 2, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 15
Resolution and precision? You ever try the ER4Ps?

May 2, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 15
I was thinking about those, but they are older techonology single driver IEMs right?

are they sibilant? Im worried about how seperation of notes would be on a single driver IEM.

the superfis were dual armiture, so im concerned the etys might be a step down?

the IEMs Im looking for also have to be tough, I dont take great care with my iems, I tangle them and toss them in my backpack or pocket unprotected.

the e2cs crack the first time I tried switching foamies, the shell on those break easily, the superfis have been very tough and as thin as the cable is, the superfis proved to be very high quality in terms of construction IMO

May 2, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180

any recommendations?

what would be a good step up from the superfis? sorry no audiologists in my area so custom molds is not an option for me.

I suggest waiting till Schure E500 and UEXXX are available in June, listening to both and picking the ones you like best. A good description of E500 is in this post

May 2, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 15
I currently own Superfi 5 pros, but I had ER4P. I listened to both for a time, but in the end, I chose the UE's.

I loved the Ety's clear sound, but to be honest, it was a little too much, considering the relative lack of bass compared to the UE.

I thought the UE seemed muddy too, at first. But the high end opened up nicely with break in. The bass settled down to, and is tuneful, yet powerful.

Toward the end of my comparison (I gave it a good 1-2 months switching back and forth), it was obvious to me that the UE was more satisfying to listen to for extended periods of time. I got into the music much more, is the only way I can describe it. I began to use the UE 90% of the time. It also was much better being driven by my ipod than the Ety was. I use it unamped about half the time, the other half being driven by my GoVibe (AD8620).

I should say though, that although I'm not a bass-head by any stretch, I do like the bass to be strong (I play bass). Also, I really DONT like a tipped up high end from any of my audio equipment, so I guess it was inevitable that I would like the UE over the Ety.

May 2, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Resolution and precision? You ever try the ER4Ps?

etysmile.gif
that was the first thing that came to mind when i saw "resolution and precision"

get the P -> S converter and it'll be even better.

May 2, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 15
e500s look interesting, I dont know much about it, it has something added to the chain of sound, what is it? I kind of am weary about anything extra added to the signal chain.

mid june still seems a long way off, not sure if I can wait that long. the price is kind of scarey too for IEMs. I dont know what Id do if I were to misplace them of break them
frown.gif

May 2, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

e500s look interesting, I dont know much about it, it has something added to the chain of sound, what is it? I kind of am weary about anything extra added to the signal chain.

It's called Push To Hear (PTH). It cuts out the sound and has a little mic to pick up someone talking to you. But it's a separate device that can be removed from the chain.

May 3, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 15
You're not going to find a universal-fit IEM that's resolving and not sibilant until the E500 comes out. The UM2 keeps sibilance only partially in check, and it doesn't quite have the resolution to match up to top cans. The E4 and ER-4P do, but they're far more sibilant than the UM2.

If customs aren't an option, then wait for the E500.

May 3, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
You're not going to find a universal-fit IEM that's resolving and not sibilant until the E500 comes out.

Or, if you don't want to wait, you could acquire the Stax SRM-001 MKII portable system. I'm surprised you didn't bring them up, catscratch.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

mid june still seems a long way off, not sure if I can wait that long. the price is kind of scarey too for IEMs. I dont know what Id do if I were to misplace them of break them
frown.gif

The PTH device in E500 is optional - you plug the headphones into it, and then you plug the device into your player/amp headphone jack. You can disconnect this device altogether and plug the headphones straight into the player if you wish.

I think UEXXX are supposed to be somewhat cheaper than E500. I doubt you can find something that is significantly cheaper and still satisfies your requirements.

May 3, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 15
from looking at your requirements, if you want precision and separation of notes, then i'd think hard about the ety's -- they do that in spades. that's why i like them so much . . .

May 4, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Or, if you don't want to wait, you could acquire the Stax SRM-001 MKII portable system. I'm surprised you didn't bring them up, catscratch.
biggrin.gif

What! How could I!
eek.gif

Eh... they're not IEMs. At least, not as far as I am using them. Still, sonically... well everyone has heard me rant about them, so yeah. They're good!

May 4, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino
What gear are you using your iems on?

anything I have handy with me at the time
biggrin.gif

I just need a pair of iems when I cant lug the senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back