I'm in a dilemma here. audio technica ath m50 vs sennheiser 558
Nov 19, 2013 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Redprintz

New Head-Fier
This is my FIRST real headphones. thinking of buying steelseries siberia v2 frost blue or dota 2 edition or steelseries elite but I realize I can't use it with my phone since it is usb powered. But after reading posts here and there I disregard the 3 and came up with two possible choices. I live in a small town in asia and basically I can't wait to have my own set of headphones. These two are available at our local store so any other headphones doesn't really matter anymore. the two have the same price but I have a hard time deciding what to buy.

Things that I will be doing when I get my cans:

1.) dota 2 or games like this genre on my alienware m14x r2
2.) some online mmorpg
3.) I also love to listen to EDM with lots of bass. Gotta love the bass
4.) Hiphop/rap
5.) ska or grunge like 311, cake, nirvana, pepper, etc
6.) I'll be using it mostly with my phone(samsung note 2) when outside the house.
7.) watch movies/series with it
8.) Casual games on my laptop like batman arkham city, sleeping dogs, naruto shippuden, skyrim etc
9.) a little bit of FPS.

I have a chance to listen to the m50 for a couple of minutes but it's not really that comfortable and makes my ear sweat. but i'm leaning towards buying it for now. doesn't know anything about 558 yet since the store don't have any display for it. I'm aware that m50 have limited sound stage but does it really matter? 

Please enlighten me headfi.

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 5
  This is my FIRST real headphones. thinking of buying steelseries siberia v2 frost blue or dota 2 edition or steelseries elite but I realize I can't use it with my phone since it is usb powered. But after reading posts here and there I disregard the 3 and came up with two possible choices. I live in a small town in asia and basically I can't wait to have my own set of headphones. These two are available at our local store so any other headphones doesn't really matter anymore. the two have the same price but I have a hard time deciding what to buy.

Things that I will be doing when I get my cans:

1.) dota 2 or games like this genre on my alienware m14x r2
2.) some online mmorpg
3.) I also love to listen to EDM with lots of bass. Gotta love the bass
4.) Hiphop/rap
5.) ska or grunge like 311, cake, nirvana, pepper, etc
6.) I'll be using it mostly with my phone(samsung note 2) when outside the house.
7.) watch movies/series with it
8.) Casual games on my laptop like batman arkham city, sleeping dogs, naruto shippuden, skyrim etc
9.) a little bit of FPS.

I have a chance to listen to the m50 for a couple of minutes but it's not really that comfortable and makes my ear sweat. but i'm leaning towards buying it for now. doesn't know anything about 558 yet since the store don't have any display for it. I'm aware that m50 have limited sound stage but does it really matter? 

Please enlighten me headfi.

Thanks!

the ATH-M50s are good, but they do have a limited soundstage for FPS games, they are better for music, but yeah, you could get more comfortable models. it is possible to stretch out the band if they clamp down too much, it makes them a lot more comfortable. it's tough to get a good sense for games, as you need positional cues more than mids and bass, and each headphone has compromises.

you might try the HM5/FA-003's , or for a bit more, the MA-900, IMO beyerdynamic are better for extended listening as they are lighter headphones, though the build quality is laughable on the sony.

YMMV.

have a look at the gaming headphones guide on http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added as it should help you along with reviews in the price bracket.

outside of the Mad Lust Envy review ... IDK.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 5
The Sennheiser HD558 is very comfortable, have a great soundstage and fine natural sound, but I don't think that they meet your requirements because they are open phones, leak sound and aren't isolating. Also they have a believable bass which is great for classical, jazz or classic rock, but are considered bass light by fans of the music that you mention. They aren't generally considered to be gaming headphones. Use the search function for the uses you find most important. Senn Momentums may fit your needs but they are much more expensive.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 5
The Sennheiser HD558 is very comfortable, have a great soundstage and fine natural sound, but I don't think that they meet your requirements because they are open phones, leak sound and aren't isolating. Also they have a believable bass which is great for classical, jazz or classic rock, but are considered bass light by fans of the music that you mention. They aren't generally considered to be gaming headphones. Use the search function for the uses you find most important. Senn Momentums may fit your needs but they are much more expensive.

for closed headsets, it becomes a bit more limiting, but that's OK.

Edit: thought about this a bit, as i was looking at getting a new phone for xmas, and earphones/IEM with a mic that will work with it.

the HD598 is a good choice too.

for portable use, you may enjoy a cheap IEM like the Dunu DN23 for portable use, http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-23-landmine-headphones-earphones/reviews/9247 which i'll probably get based on that review.

though, the probably gaming choice so far, IMO, is the A900x as it's more comfortable, and it's a gamer oriented headphone.
if you want to make it into a headset for teamspeak/mumble, you can attach a clip on mic (zalman) or a magnetic mod-mic for $10/$20 to upgrade it easily enough.

in the same budget as the M50, the cheaper FA-003, brainwavz and the shenzen clones if you're looking at cheaper closed headphones. I'm biased to the HM5, US $100 ~$130, the FA-003, Brainwavz HM5, or the NVX XPT100, sometimes $100 on special. They fit the bill for universal headphones, bulky, comfortable for hours, though people will comment if you wear them in public and its not winter :)

open headphones, while better for outdoor use or general quality, are going to be circumaural like the HD558. I tend to have a bias against Senn, and avoid the senn range as they're about the same as the sony for cost, you really have to know what you want (to spend) with the sennheiser range, some are awesome, others are US$400 for $40 headphones.

alternatively, the AKG k550, AD900 or A900x, a good review w/ a gaming response is http://www.head-fi.org/t/650499/comparison-review-ath-a9x-ath-a900x-akg-k550-three-way-shootout

for comfort, the beyer DT770 or 770 pro is great, with variations for the 880/990 80 ohm models, or T70 /p
(IMO, beyer's make great second hand sets, you should probably get the beyer headphones if you can grab a pair for a 2nd person to listen to. they're comfy and distinctive.)

for outdoors/phone use, the brainwavz R1/R3 are cheap and have some of the bass wanted for EDM, the dunu reviewed above is great too, and, you can get the slightly cheaper brainwavz m4. check through the reviews for EDM, and you should find some fans/reviews/converts to save you some time.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the response. Appreciate it. It already bought m50 and never regret anything about it. When it tried it with my note 2. It's really good. But when it plugged it in laptop my oh my. If was blown away. ******* amazing. The sound card really boost it's performance 10x. I'm exaggerating. But you get my point. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back