Im having trouble understding all of this, replacment for sound card.
Apr 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zoltan99

Head-Fier
My sound card Audigy 2 ZS died and I need something to replace it with. I could go with a soundcard as recommended here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/au...gaming-485004/ , but want to explore an external option.

My headphones are the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 (64 Ohm) and will be using all of this on a Linux system. I just want incredibly good sound quality and as little internal interference as possible. Though I am having a bit of trouble understanding how a Dac replace a soundcard and the benefits it gives, other than it being external.

All I do is watch tv/movies and listen to music. I dont play any games. I likely would prefer a portable unit if possible, but that forum seemed rather small.

What are the benifits, other than the Dac being external?
Do I still need a sound-card?
Does having a good sound card help at all?

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 7
A sound card basically is an amp and a DAC. You can purchase an external Amp/DAC such as the E-MU 0404usb and it is connected via USB and bypasses the amp/DAC of the sound card.

Now then, you can also add another amp into the equation specifically to improve the performance of some headphones and that would be connected between your soundcard and your headphones (or between your external soundcard and the headphones). These headphone amps supply more juice to your headphones than the soundcard can typically provide. However, not all headphones need an additional amp but there are those that say the extra amping will still improve the lesser demanding phones.

Hope that helps...

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Ok, thank you but id also like to ask, what offers the best sound quality?

Just a Dac over USB
Dac fed by regular soundcard

I see the reason for it, but dont really understand how they compare to the different combinations, and if they are better what is good?

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoltan99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, thank you but id also like to ask, what offers the best sound quality?

Just a Dac over USB
Dac fed by regular soundcard

I see the reason for it, but dont really understand how they compare to the different combinations, and if they are better what is good?

1. DAC: digital-to-analog converter. These are usually connected to the computer by USB. These doesn't provide headphone connection possibilities. They produce line level audio signal.
2. Amp: stereo amplifier, which amplifies the audio signal coming from a DAC.
3. Soundcards are DAC and amp combinations providing some limited headphone connectivity, however there are some soundcards dedicated for headphones.

Which is better? It depends on quality of the components. Good DAC and a good AMP can be better then a single soundcard.

Greeting from Hungary.
wink_face.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by schawo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. DAC: digital-to-analog converter. These are usually connected to the computer by USB. These doesn't provide headphone connection possibilities. They produce line level audio signal.
2. Amp: stereo amplifier, which amplifies the audio signal coming from a DAC.
3. Soundcards are DAC and amp combinations providing some limited headphone connectivity, however there are some soundcards dedicated for headphones.

Which is better? It depends on quality of the components. Good DAC and a good AMP can be better then a single soundcard.

Greeting from Hungary.
wink_face.gif

So what would you call something like the Ibasso portable dac's. They offer an amp, Dac and headphone out.

any product recommendations?

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 7
Depends on whether you actually need portability and whether you'll upgrade headphones in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back