I'm gonna puke
Jun 2, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 39
if you want to know more about triple j, or want to hear it online, try out http://www.triplej.net.au/

i recommend the j-files with richard kingsmill, on thursday nights. it's a profile of individual bands. last week was a show on jeff buckley. actually i think i recommend anything hosted by richard kingsmill. he knows what he's talking about, and runs a damned fine interview.

for program info, go to http://www.triplej.net.au/guide/

i'm not kidding when i say that triple j makes australia a better place to live. we still have the ****ty commercial stations, but 99.3 (in perth) is the saviour of the radio dial. it's what you tune in when you're tired of ricky martin.

the way i describe it to people is that they play all sorts of things, so while you may hate some tunes that come on, you may as well stay tuned, secure in the knowledge that the next thing is likely to be different again, and you're broadening your musical horizons.

the show unearthed - http://www.triplej.net.au/unearthed/default.htm - has one purpose: to find good australian bands without recording contracts, give them some exposure, and get them signed. what more could you want from a radio station?

i will never EVER go back to commercial radio.

__
other topic: to those who hate eminem based on 'the real slim shady' and the like, do yourselves a favour and try these tracks:

if i had
rock bottom
song to hailie
sing for the moment
marshall mathers

i'm of the opinion that you shouldn't form an opinion based on singles. because singles are chosen geared towards top 40 radio, they are seldom his best work.

but if you don't want to listen, that's cool too. tone down on the bashing though, because you're flying blind.

lucien

Jun 2, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 39
I don't have any of his albums, and rarely listen to the radio (other than ESPN Radio), and absolutely never watch TV. So I don't get much exposure, but from what I've seen and heard, I think he has alot of talent. Probably one of the most talented artists out there... And I understand he's just expressing himself, but I can't relate to anything he raps about, so that's probably why I won't buy any of his albums. I respect his talent though... Just my feelings on Eminem
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #20 of 39
I like Eminem's music.

I don't consume... "MTV, websites, E-zines, periodicals, and almost every pop station".

I don't have issues with being burned out on pop culture because I don't spend a lot of time soaking myself in its crappiness. I don't have to dislike something simply because it's popular because I'm not impacted by its popularity or lack thereof. I only have to be annoyed by things that make it into the trailers at movie theaters and most of those are brief.

Kind of funny to see people watch MTV and then complain. What were you expecting, exactly? Shakespeare and Mozart?

Jun 2, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #21 of 39
Speaking of movie trailers, has anyone else noticed the disturbing trend of putting scenes in trailers that aren't actually in the movie? That should be illegal. I think I first caught it with "A Beautiful Mind," but it's been happening for quite a while, and ever more frequently. ...

kerleybonto

Jun 2, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

I don't have to dislike something simply because it's popular because I'm not impacted by its popularity or lack thereof.

Unfortunately, unless I work really hard at it, it tends to jump right into my face wherever I go, thus the sourness.
tongue.gif

Jun 2, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Speaking of movie trailers, has anyone else noticed the disturbing trend of putting scenes in trailers that aren't actually in the movie? That should be illegal. I think I first caught it with "A Beautiful Mind," but it's been happening for quite a while, and ever more frequently. ...

kerleybonto

This is because the ads are developed prior to the test screening. This has been common for many many years and is not a recent trend. Check out the trailer to Patriot Games sometime.

Teasers are developed sometimes before the basic plot is even finalized. For a good example of that, check out the original Alien 3 trailer: "On Earth, everyone can hear you scream."

Jun 2, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #24 of 39
nick -

a good friend of mine shares my feelings about commercial radio -- the 'we love triple j' conversation is something of a recurring theme - but works in retail.

as a result, he's forced to listen to top 40 all day, and has gone so far as to throw the radio across the room on occasion.

i pity the poor person, but i must admit it's amusing hearing his tales of anger directed towards the current flavour of the moment.

i'm sure it wouldn't be so funny i had to listen to that ****.

__

one of the greatest things i ever changed in my life was the way i buy cds. about 5 or 6 years back, i decided it was ridiculous to be buying an album for a few tracks. if an artist can't produce an entire album worth listening to, i'm not interested - an mp3 will do*. so now every cd i buy gets listened to in its entirety**, and i get to know an artist's work much more thoroughly.

it also take a lot of time to get through so many cds when you're not just selecting a couple of tracks, which means i'm constantly occupied with music. i have at least a dozen albums that have enever so much as been in the my cd player, simply because i haven't gotten to them yet. result -- never a shortage of muscial choice.

__

i have some advice for those of you who listen to the radio to hear new music...

ask your friends about what new stuff they've heard lately. go to local concerts. read about your favourite group's influences and explore from there. or use google sets - http://labs.google.com - and put in a few of your favourite bands in a genre, and see what else pops up.
__

*no, i don't feel bad about downloading the odd mp3. if it's good, i buy it, and a glance at my cd shelf will prove it.

**except Massive Attack: Protection and Eminem: The Eminem Show -- both of these albums have atrocious final tracks, bad enough to spoil my entire listening experience. if i could somhow just remove the last track on each, i would. grrr.

Jun 2, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #25 of 39
I watch enormous amounts of T.V. and I listen to pop music. As a result, I don't have a sore shoulder from patting myself on the back.

Jun 2, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #26 of 39
touché, jeff

but like i said, i find that i actually have to defend myself when i say i like eminem's stuff.

in theory, commercial radio could be fine. it's not he concept that's wrong -- it's just that my taste seems to be very different from the focus groups that must tell them what to put on. very different indeed.

Jun 3, 2002 at 12:59 PM Post #27 of 39
IMO Eminem (what the hell kind of moniker is that?) is a talentless moron who is as responsible as anybody for the pathetic state of music these days. I wish these MTV cartoon characters would just disappear or do something useful like collecting garbage*

*The above is an opinion only and is not meant to offend those who actually find something entertaining about these "artists". It is your right to enjoy what you enjoy. However, if something is given an immense amount of hype and publicity, it deserves to be trashed by those who find it has no social redeeming value and is therefore undeserving of such hype in their opinion.

Jun 3, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
However, if something is given an immense amount of hype and publicity, it deserves to be trashed by those who find it has no social redeeming value and is therefore undeserving of such hype in their opinion.

I don't really care whether any of you guys like music I like or not, but THIS is exactly the statement that I entered this thread to fight.

I do not believe that because a product has received hype and publicity that it "deserves" a harsher judgment. I think it's just as silly to rebel against something advertised as it is to blindly follow it. If this is your philosophy, I don't see how you differ from any of the "masses" you align yourself against. You both make critical decisions on a products worth based on its hype rather than judging the value of the product itself.

I'm sorry if my previous post came across "anti-TV" enough to inspire Jeff to take offense. I'm not anti- any form of medium. I read comics if you want to talk about an "intellectual taboo." The only thing I intended to cause you to question is why you consume things you claim to dislike. Ie, I watch two TV shows a week when they're not reruns--they're the shows I like. Otherwise, my TV is used for video games and DVDs. This is the information age. You now have the ability to directly control the content you're being fed. Vej in front of the TV if you want, I'm just saying that you don't have to "break your arm patting yourself on the back" to have the sense to change the channel or pop in a video. Consider it.

Jun 3, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #30 of 39
As a humorous aside, there's a track on the new Pet Shop Boys album called "The Night I Fell In Love" which is a parody of eminem -- it basically tells the story of him having a secret gay affair with one of his fans (if you've never listened to eminem, the story is funny because he's so homophobic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back