I'm going to Washington DC
Mar 15, 2009 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone. My girlfriend and I are going to Washington DC on Friday for a week. I've been there a couple times before but this is the first time I'm going on my own (not on a family vacation or school trip). Does anyone have specific places I should visit besides the obvious (monuments/memorials/museums)?

I'm not really into bars or clubs. I like trying new restaurants and food. Shopping is okay as well.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vault 101? :-D

naw, visit Vault 108
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

but seriously, there wasn't much in DC that overly interested me at the time, the national zoo was cool, but very expensive, and then of course the smithsonian institute in general, beyond that, can't really suggest you much

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 24
Hey man...welcome to DC!

The best thing about DC is lots of stuff is free.

I'd spend a day at the National Zoo, on Connecticut Avenue...free.

Also I'd stroll around the Mall, and check out any of the Smithsonian museums that light you up...American History, Natural History, Air & Space, National Gallery....all free.

If you have a car and a nice day, Great Falls is excellent. In MD, do the Billy Goat Trail. 3 parts...from insane to moderate to EZ. Small fee.

Haines Point is cool too. Especially if you like buying crack.

Church lover? National Cathedral will make you feel like it's Christmas.

Old Town Alexandria is excellent...very cool and fun.

Taking a run? Rock Creek Park.

Biking? The Capital Crescent Trail.

But the best of the best is Georgetown. Night or Day, G-town is where it's at. Stroll along the Potomac, shop at the best places on Earth, then drink at Nathans, and Billy Martin's. And Clyde's if you want a nice dinner too.

If you're killin' it financially, do the Capital Grille, or DC Coast or Kinkead's for dinner.

If you're gettin' killed finacially, go instead to the Tune Inn on Capitol Hill, or Whitlow's in Clarendon.

Also...no matter where you're from, you can call your Congressional Representative and get hooked up for a tour of the Capitol, and even buy a US flag that flew above the Capitol.

Oh, and if you have time for headphone fun, Sound Works in Kensington keeps the whole Grado line!

Have fun, dude!

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 24
You have to go to Alexandria, lovely place !
I also liked Georgetown, the Spy Museum, the Air & Space Museum. And of course, walk around the Mall and the Memorials
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 24
If you want to have a good time, stay in Chicago :wink:

Pretty much the only fun I have here involves drinking, cycling, and/or live music. Often all three at the same time.

You're staying in Georgetown, which kind of sucks. That's where rich white people breed. There's tons of good shopping there, as well as a bunch of restaurants. Not really my scene.

I'd recommend everything HD_Dude said. If you're in my neighborhood, go to Ben's Chili Bowl. Again, lots of white people looking for an 'authentic DC experience.' St. Ex is a great little cafe/bar on 14th. There are lots of cool jazz clubs around here, too.

Just about any night of the week there are nationally touring bands at Black Cat, 9:30 Club, DC9, and Rock and Roll Hotel. And Wonderland Ballroom kicks ass

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard DC is boring, is there actually anywhere "fun"

Boredom is a symptom of a lack of intelligence.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to have a good time, stay in Chicago :wink:

Pretty much the only fun I have here involves drinking, cycling, and/or live music. Often all three at the same time.

You're staying in Georgetown, which kind of sucks. That's where rich white people breed. There's tons of good shopping there, as well as a bunch of restaurants. Not really my scene.

I'd recommend everything HD_Dude said. If you're in my neighborhood, go to Ben's Chili Bowl. Again, lots of white people looking for an 'authentic DC experience.' St. Ex is a great little cafe/bar on 14th. There are lots of cool jazz clubs around here, too.

Just about any night of the week there are nationally touring bands at Black Cat, 9:30 Club, DC9, and Rock and Roll Hotel. And Wonderland Ballroom kicks ass

do you have an issue with white people specifically? if not, I'd edit the post

@ hd_dude:
"lack of intelligence", what a class act, lets start a flamewar purely because you don't agree with him

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #14 of 24
One thing that I like a lot is the Millennium Stage at the Kennedy Center. Free concerts at 6PM, 365 days a year. All types of music.

Georgetown doesn't do to much for me. It's mostly overpriced bars and restaurants and chain stores. U St corridor is much nicer for both shopping and night life.

If you want an interesting experience, go to an Ethiopian restaurant. There's supposed to be good ones on 9th St I believe. I've never been down there because we have decent one's near where I live in Arlington.

Edit: Etete 1942 9th Street, NW is the one that gets good reviews

Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the national zoo was cool, but very expensive

How can something that's free be very expensive
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can something that's free be very expensive
confused_face(1).gif

have you ever tried to get food there? or any of the other "touristy" stuff, like the gift shop?
tongue.gif

if you're like me, and just wander around places that are free, and do the whole "sneak food in" (to movie theatres and whatnot), then its great, but if you do the "touristy" thing (like my parents would), its very far from "cheap"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back