I'm going to get an ulcer.
Feb 18, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I appreciate all the help. I guess right now I'm leaning towards one of DJ phones, and to be honest I trust AKG more than Ultrasone. ...

I wouldn't trust AKG for bass quality...

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 24
I am not aware that HD25-1 can be used with any pads other than their default leatherette. Which, as you correctly point out, can be uncomfortable after a while. Furthermore HD25-1 are uncomfortable for long periods due to pressing directly onto ears (supraaural?). However they are extremely portable, durable and lightweight. They look cheap but that's a benefit on the go as it reduces their chances of being stolen. Cable is easily detachable and both price and selection of aftermarket cables is better than of any other headphone due to use of standard sennheiser connector.

Most importantly, sound quality is excellent and they work great with portables. And, they isolate. Really well. So you'll be listening at a lower volume. I don't recall experiencing bass weakness but I do think they can be a bit bright which may be an issue for electronics, though I also heard that it can be tamed by using a replacement cable since default one is made of steel.

I think main negatives are long-term discomfort and price. Especially price.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 24
Filburt: Thanks for the info! I had just about eliminated the 240s and you bring them right back from the dead. I feel that the form factor is a major issue with them. I may try to buy a used pair for fun separately from this decision.

aos: The HD-25-1-IIs actually come with the velour earpads in the box now. They have won DJ mags headphone competition for the last 2 years in a row as well, so I have no doubt they are a superior headphone. If I get them they may end up supplanting even my Grados for other genres as well!

Ultimately though, it is the HD-25 form factor which holds me back. High clamping force, non rotating (except 1) cup, and non foldable + the fact that they are supra-aural. Price is not an issue, there is only about a $30 difference between the HD-25 and the DJ1p.

DJ1p wins by default, but it is a weak win. It doesn't win because it is clearly superior, but because the other phones are somehow (very minorly) flawed for my intended use.
Good thing they are the least expensive.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #19 of 24
I'm about 75% sure they where with velours when I tried them. (and they where recabled and I tried them out of my Solo
biggrin.gif
... they sounded great but you may want to add an FWIW)

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD-25-1-II
Most of the DJs creating this music have these. I know they are excellent quality and offer good 'do everything' all around sound. I'm not quite sold on the bass because the other contenders feature larger drivers (I believe). Also not sure how these sound at low volume. Ugly.

That's because of the isolation they provide in a loud club environment.

Out of the four you have listed I would opt for the Senns. They offer solid sound and portability in a nice package.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #21 of 24
Nevermind: 550s don't have velour pads either.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #22 of 24
One more vote for the Senns. All the points have been made, really. One note on the foldability: If you're concerned because you want to pack them, HD25s can be chucked into a bag, no worries. You can treat these like crap.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #23 of 24
I was in the exact same predicament as the OP and decided on the Senns. I think I made the right decision. The bass is full, tight, and extended. (although not for super bassheads). The mids and highs communicate well with the bass in electronica and any very full studio recorded music with some synthesizer aspect to it. I have an AKG 701 and it blows me away with acoustic, vocals, and live stuff. But the Senns really do electronic music justice. I use them with my cowon Iaudio 7 player which powers them really well and I use them at home on my KICAS caliente amp which produces intense clean bass with the Senns. The HD25-II comes with the foam pads which I think is not only more comfortable, but pulls back the bass ever so slightly to and the balance in the end is perfect for me. Go for the Senns!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back