I'm Getting Blued...
Oct 1, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 37
I'll second the opinion. If you have a Corda HA-1, Kurt's the man to unleash its potential. Or do it yourself. Now that i've had mine for several weeks, I remain impressed by its capabilities. The stock HA-1 is quite good, but it really shines when Blued.

Oct 1, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #17 of 37
ChenaynayC,

Can you offer any more insight on this amp with the 325's? I have been talking to Kurt about getting a Corda Blue but am also considering the Madriver Ear+ to use with my 325's.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #18 of 37
mercid
For what it's worth, I thought the Corda Blue outclassed the Ear+. The Ear+ is probably worth considering if you'd prefer a slower, smoother, more relaxed sound. The Corda Blue has much better depth presentation, detail and lower overall noise floor.

Oct 1, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #19 of 37
kelly,
with what cans(I got SR325s)? I am on the fence on the corda and ear+
thanks,
md

Oct 1, 2002 at 12:52 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
kelly,
with what cans(I got SR325s)? I am on the fence on the corda and ear+
thanks,
md

I did listen on the SR-325 but to be honest, the SR-325 is too bright for me on either system. I preferred the Corda Blue on every headphone I tried - SR-325, RS-1, HP-1000, HD600.

Oct 1, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #22 of 37
Keep in mind that a Corda HA-1 with Kurt's "Blue" mods puts you above the price of the assembled Ear+, well into the mid-$400. (Correct me if I'm wrong -- I'm not exactly sure about the price of the mods.) Plus you have the extra two-way shipping charges. So if you're going to spend that much, you have other options as well, such as a well-equipped Kevin Gilmore Dynamic, which is supposed to be one of the best amps in any price range for Grados.

(Hint: I'd love to see an Ear+ v. KG Dynamic comparative review when antness ships his demos.)

kerelybonto

Oct 1, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by mercid
ChenaynayC,

Can you offer any more insight on this amp with the 325's? I have been talking to Kurt about getting a Corda Blue but am also considering the Madriver Ear+ to use with my 325's.

Thanks!

I'll do some more listening tonight with the 325s tonight to make sure what I'm hearing is real and not just 'new toy' syndrome. I was very impressed last night!

Catch ya later! It's been one of those days when I actually have to work at work. I hate it when that happens!

Oct 2, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #25 of 37
I remain impressed on Day 2. Silky. I've spent the evening listening to my current favorites and I like what I'm hearing.

Mercid, I used the 325s most of the evening. Mine have the flat pads and I've never considered them 'bright'. That could be because I primarily listen to R/B, Funk, and Hip-hop. But, whatever you listen to if you like detail, separation, articulate bass, a deep and wide soundstage and all the emotion of the singer and instruments - you'll like this amp.

The bass is deep. It has punch and seems to move the air in the earpieces, and it isn't just a big blob dropped on you-it has texture. It wasn't a blob before the mod, but it's even clearer now. I've got to listen to some kettle drums roll! The Tower of Power horn section sounds fantastic. Drums deliver not only the initial hit, but the echo/resonance that follows. Guitars are present with all their twangs and the finger moving sounds. Everything is just clearer.

I haven't heard the Ear+ so I can't do any comparisons and I'm not real good at that anyway. I don't think you can go wrong with Kurt's mod on the Corda though. I'm certainly not regretting it.

Oct 2, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #26 of 37
Thanks for the reply! Your comments have pretty must put this amp as #1 on my list. The only other amps i have really considered are the Ear+ and MG Head, however i am not sure if a tube amp is for me.

-Mercid

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #27 of 37
Hey, let's be a bit more fair to Jan here... You are saying the mods really let the corda achive full potential... And that it's a whole different amp... The way I see it Jan wanted to make a great amp for little money. He could easily have made the Corda probably even better than the "blue" with the extra money you are paying Kurt. (re: the components Kurt replaces wouldn't go to waste)

Lol, I don't even own the thing, All I'm saying is, the corda is perfect. OFCOURSE it get's better with the upgrade because more money is spent..

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

The bass is deep. It has punch and seems to move the air in the earpieces, and it isn't just a big blob dropped on you-it has texture.

I agree 100%.

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
Hey, let's be a bit more fair to Jan here... You are saying the mods really let the corda achive full potential... And that it's a whole different amp... The way I see it Jan wanted to make a great amp for little money. He could easily have made the Corda probably even better than the "blue" with the extra money you are paying Kurt. (re: the components Kurt replaces wouldn't go to waste)

Lol, I don't even own the thing, All I'm saying is, the corda is perfect. OFCOURSE it get's better with the upgrade because more money is spent..

Flasken
I admire the spirit of your post. I'm a fan of Meier's work also and think the stock Corda HA-1 is a great value.

I think he would agree with me, though, that he could not produce an amp commercially to include the components Kurt did for a price as low as Kurt's. Kurt is doing this for fun, isn't paying himself much for labor and has no overhead. The parts are very expensive and for Meier to include them, the price of the Corda would be raised dramatically. Mods are often a good value for this reason but especially so in this case.

One could argue, though, that some of the mods (such as the Cardas jacks) are expensive and produce little if any sonic improvement. In this case, yes, it is possible to design something cheaper that sounds as good--and I have no doubt that newer designs will eventually displace the Corda Blue even for its size and pricepoint -- and if Meier himself does this someday it won't surprise me too much.

I just wanted to make clear, though, that what Kurt is offering is a good deal.

Oct 2, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #30 of 37
Flasken, I agree with you. The Corda is a great amp at its price point and I got mine used. I think we all understand that compromises are made to achieve certain price points, and the stock Corda is often described as a lot of amp for the money. And it is. What I did was pay Kurt as much as I paid for the stock unit so I've doubled its value to me. Based on the reviews I'd read I expected it to sound better, and I'm very impressed with how much it did. There's that law of diminishing returns ya know.

I think the mod gives someone looking to purchase a new amp another option in the $500-$600 range: they can spend the bucks up front and go for all the gusto they can, or they can be like me and start out spending $250-$350, and make their next decision from there. I already had the Corda, so my choice was to spend $500 - $700 and acquire a whole new amp to satiate the ever growing curiousity, or mod the unit I had.

Anyway, I certainly don't mean to take away anything from the stock Corda. Hell, I liked it plenty and I'd still recommend it for folks looking to spend 300-400 for an amp. And if/when they get curious about 'how good can it get' - there's Kurt to move 'em on.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back