I'm getting audio sent to both headphones and speakers.
May 31, 2018 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gloomba

New Head-Fier
I have a Schiit Asgard 2 that I run into my AVR (to use it's DAC). When I plug my HD650's into my amp I am getting sound out of my speakers as well. When I mute the AVR, it mutes the headphones too. I just want to listen to my headphones. I'm not running Zone 2 or the like. I have a picture of where my speakers and amp plug into. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/ZVrM9q4

May 31, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 6
To clarify, your chain looks something like Digital Source >> AVR >> AVR Front RCA>> Asgard; and AVR Front Speakers >> Speakers?
I'm not familiar with your AVR, but my guess is that the front RCA and Front Speakers are probably not really meant to be used at the same time. If you switch the Asgard to the Zone 2 or 3 RCA outputs, can you mute the speakers then? I used to have an amp a long time ago that would allow me to do something like that, but I know that some keep the main speakers active all the time.

May 31, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 6
To clarify, your chain looks something like Digital Source >> AVR >> AVR Front RCA>> Asgard; and AVR Front Speakers >> Speakers?
I'm not familiar with your AVR, but my guess is that the front RCA and Front Speakers are probably not really meant to be used at the same time. If you switch the Asgard to the Zone 2 or 3 RCA outputs, can you mute the speakers then? I used to have an amp a long time ago that would allow me to do something like that, but I know that some keep the main speakers active all the time.

Sounds like you have it right. Red/White RCA cable in my Asgard's input going into Onkyo front pre out, and speakers into Onkyo front. I'll try Zone 2 and/or 3 later tonight when I get home. Thanks for the reply.

May 31, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 6

i set it up as you suggested for Zone 2 and I am unable to changer the Zone 2 AVR volume. The AVR screen says "not act" when I try. When I have the AVR volume down to zero, and my Asgard volume cranked, I hear very, very faint music that I'm playing from Youtube. This is so bizarre. I've had these devices play along exactly how I wanted them to (and could've swore it was with the 'pre out' setup.) I'm beginning to wonder if I hit a button on my remote that changed things. Can't think of what that could possibly be, though.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Huh. I'm stumped. I looked up your user manual and there seems to be only minimal information about using the pre outs. I even poked around to see if there is some obscure setting you may have inadvertently changed. Nothin'. Maybe contact Onkyo directly or check their forums?

Good luck!

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 6
i set it up as you suggested for Zone 2 and I am unable to changer the Zone 2 AVR volume. The AVR screen says "not act" when I try. When I have the AVR volume down to zero, and my Asgard volume cranked, I hear very, very faint music that I'm playing from Youtube. This is so bizarre. I've had these devices play along exactly how I wanted them to (and could've swore it was with the 'pre out' setup.) I'm beginning to wonder if I hit a button on my remote that changed things. Can't think of what that could possibly be, though.

You're supposed to send the Asgard a fixed voltage line signal, not a variable voltage preamp signal, since it has its own preamp. You'll really just have to spend a few calories getting up to move that dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back