I'm getting a puppy!
Jan 5, 2005 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Murdoch

500+ Head-Fier
Actually he's about 6 months old according to the shelter staff, so more of an adolescent than a true puppy. He's a cute little guy, looks to be a beagle, shepherd, smooth fox terrier mix. He's got a short beagle coat, fox terrier stature and ears, and german shepherd-ish tail and head. He's what our shelter calls a "Dixie dog". He's been transported from the South as part of an atrempt to reduce the number of euthanizations down there, since I guess the South has a larger problem with stray dogs than there is up north.

On Friday (after he's been neutered and given his shots) our long wait for a dog will be over. We're going to name him Rocket. I'm freaking pumped!

biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like some major "awwww" factor. Make sure you post a picture of your new family member.

Jan 5, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Good for you! I'm starting a new "apprentice" spaniel this winter. Heard just before New Years that the pups from three litters were on the ground and there would be five females to pick from. I sorta liked this one spaniel mom, Kate, and she had two females in her litter of five, one black-and-white and one liver-and-white. I've always had liver-and-white, so maybe it's time for a change. Pups should be ready to go at eight weeks around the middle of February. So we know just what you mean about pumped!
icon10.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 8
Nice one and I'm so glad you're getting him from a shelter, those dudes really do deserve a good home. I'm waiting for two to arrive at my local shelter as I think it only fair to keep dogs if they have dog buddies as well as human companions.... my last 2 dogs Lassie and Muttley were mother and son and Lassie was a much happier dog with Muttley to keep her company..... Her other 8 pups were given good homes but Muttley was such a character I had to keep him (I'd have kept all 9 of them if I could have!)

Lassie died 2 and a half years ago and Muttley followed her a year later
frown.gif
There's not a day goes by where I don't miss those little bundles of joy and I'm thinking about adopting a pair of dogs from my local kennel this year.

There's not a lot of abandoned dogs there at the moment (thank god) but the ones that are there have been there since last year and I feel really guilty for holding out for a pair.... I may well go next week and see how Lucy & Meg take to me they're older dogs and all the more reason to give them a good loving home.

Jan 5, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Big congrats, and as Mike mentioned, it's great that you're getting a pound puppy! My wife and I lost our beloved Beagle/Shepherd mix 'Indiana' to liver cancer a few months ago, and the first thing we did (well, after crying for 5 days straight...) was head back to the animal shelter. We now have an adorable Rhodesian Ridgeback/Shar Pei mix named Lula, and she's an absolute joy to have around.

Dogs rule
deathmetal.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back