I'm getting a new Subaru!
Aug 24, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #31 of 50
Hahah, man, I didn't know anybody cared..

Actually the answer is yes and no. Let me go into the story:

June/July: I went to various dealerships trying to buy my car, but no one had it in stock in the version I wanted. I finally talked with Diablo Subaru in Walnut Creek, CA and they were going to get me one for $600 over invoice. I didn't want to order it though and told them to give me a ring when one showed up. I didn't really want to deal with them though because the salesman was not too knowledgeable about the car.

July 16: After receiving some recommendations from my coworkers regarding the quality and dedication of Santa Cruz Subaru, I decided to order the car since they were going to sell it to me for $300 over invoice. Even though they are 90 miles away, they have 3 years/36,000 free maintenance (oil changes) and 20 percent discount on service. This car is an Atlantic Blue Legacy GT Sedan, with the STI Short Throw Shifter and upgraded security alarm. Price would have been $25,000 before Tax and License.

Aug 13: Call Santa Cruz, and no word yet, they tell me to call back Aug 20 to get a firm date.

Aug 20: Before I can call SC back, I get a call from Diablo Subaru telling me that a car very similar to the one I wanted had arrived the previous night. This one is a Regal Blue GT Sedan with rear spoiler and upgraded security. I tell them that I'm getting one from Santa Cruz for cheaper and they tell me they are having a promotion, and I can also get it for $300 over invoice. I tell them that actually I went to a Car and Driver event the previous weekend, and everyone who went is supposed to be receiving (within the next week or so) a coupon that would allow them to buy a Legacy at invoice price for the next 45 days. They check and say that they will honor that and give it to me for that price without the coupon. I then say that I don't even want the rear spoiler because I want to get a Japanese spec spoiler, and I want the short throw shifter. The guy goes and talks with his manager and they come back with the offer of the same price (invoice) with a short throw shifter added in for no extra charge, and 3 years free maintenance. I couldn't refuse this offer since it would have ended up being about 200 under invoice given the addition of the short throw shifter. Price was 25,111 before tax and license.

So to summarize: I am now in possession of a Regal Blue Legacy GT Sedan with spoiler and upgraded security, that is awaiting the installation of short throw shifter. I am currently still awaiting delivery of the Atlantic Blue Legacy GT Sedan in manual transmission with short throw shifter and upgraded security. I'm going to have to cancel that order and get my $500 order deposit...

On the bright side, if anyone wants to buy that car, it'll probably be arriving the first or second week of Sept... It can be yours for $25K flat before tax and license...
biggrin.gif

I'll get up some pictures soon I guess.

My opinion of the car so far, after 135 miles: This car ROCKS. It's got good power, and I'm trying to hold back and give her a gentle break-in, but it's so hard not to give in to the temptation. Yeah I've given in a couple times. Or more.
biggrin.gif
The car is smoooooth, and the engine is fairly quiet. Suspension is pretty good, not as tight as say the WRX, but it's more comfortable, has more space, and is quieter. I should also say that this is my very first car with a stick, and I have never driven stick shift before, but considering that, I'm doing quite well. In fact, when I got the car, I had had only 2 30 min lessons from friends. And I had to drive the car home. And I live on a hill. Scary, but I did it. Anyways, it's a testament to the smooth clutch on this baby. My friends have tried it out and the clutch action is easier than on the WRX and even on the Honda Civic, which was surprising info to me. And the best part is, I haven't even seen one other 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan on the road yet. Yeah baby! Talk about unique. Debadge the sucker and she looks almost like a Camry from the back, as long as you don't look at the subaru emblem. This is a GREAT car and I'm so glad I got the GT version over the 2.5i model.

Aug 24, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #32 of 50
Sounds good! I care, because this car is on my short list for next car. I've had a WRX in mind forever, but the new Legacy GT came along and made things interesting. I'll be living/working near D.C. and dealing with heavy traffic on a daily basis, so it'll be automatic for me. The GT has comparable power and a better automatic than the WRX, not to mention that the extra half a liter should make it more driveable with a slushbox. I like the looks of the WRX, but it's starting to show up everywhere (can't tell you how many middle-aged or older people I've seen driving WRX'es very slowly) and the GT is quite stylish while having a bit of a sleeper look. I also like that it's a little bigger and has the Limited package (I'd probably go for the leather and moonroof if I can afford it - they're nice, plus they help resale value).

I'll have to go test drive those two as well as some others, but I'm holding off for now because I don't want to torment myself. I won't be in a position to buy for at least another 6 months. The Legacy GT seems to fit the bill for fun, fast, and practical. Fortunately, I can't talk myself into a GT wagon for really practical
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #33 of 50
Yeah I hear ya. WRX's are getting to be a dime a dozen. Believe me, you won't be disappointed with the Legacy GT. The power is awesome, and the manual gear shifting with the autobox on the Legacy's are awesome. With the auto you have 3 choices of driving styles: Full auto, Sport auto, and manual. Full auto is self-explanatory. Sport auto it holds the gear longer which makes it feel more powerful as you hit the higher rpms. And manual holds whichever gear you're in except if you're stopping. People have given good raves about it.

The GT is a total sleeper car, except for the hood scoop. But then again, people wouldn't see that from behind... And as I mentioned before, from the back it is easily mistaken for a Camry... Plus it has more room than the WRX, has less engine/road noise, is more comfortable to drive, etc etc. I say if you're interested, here's what you should do. I see you're in Illinois. Dunno how far you are, but if you can make it go to this link:

http://www.rideanddrive.net

and sign up for the test drive that compares the BMW 325i, Volvo S60, and Subaru Legacy GT. It's an awesome event, and you get some free Subaru stuff, like a really neat CD holder and a keychain. They put you through 3 course in all three cars: Performance, Traction, Handling, or something like that. It looks like there's one in Chicago, IL being held Aug 28 and 29, so if you hurry you still may be able to sign up. It may be full though, and if so, try calling the phone number ( 1-877-DRIVE41 ) and see if they can squeeze you in. I went, and it's highly recommended. Also, supposedly after the event they will mail you a coupon that allows you to buy the car at invoice within 45 days. Seriously, it's a good event..

Otherwise, be careful of test driving the Legacy GT because it wants to be bought. And it will be hard to resist after you get behind the wheel....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: oops, fixed the link. it's www.rideanddrive.net not rideanddriver. My mistake.

Aug 24, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #35 of 50
Result dude! A stick is always best for a car like this. Believe me, there's no greater satisfaction than when getting a throttle blip & downchange perfect before a corner. Enjoy your new toy & don't forget to share the photos this time!

Aug 24, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #37 of 50
Aug 24, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #38 of 50
Subarus have been under-rated for many years despite their solid core engineering. Past Subarus were plagued by not-so-good-looks, but now such problem was fixed by recruiting an ex-Alfa Romeo chief designer. Results are already seen through New Legacy, Face-lift Forrester and Impreza.

Another great heritage of Subaru is long and deep aviation history. Once Subaru ruled over Pacific Ocean during WW2. Kinda like Porsche-VW connection.

I'm thinking about getting New Legacy 2.5i or Forrester X... Have Fun!

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #39 of 50
I've been driving Sube wagons for 18 years now; latest (and best) iteration is a 2002 Outback H-6 VDC with McIntosh stereo. Drove the 05 H-6 wagons when Sube sent me an offer of a $25 debit card to do so. The 05 models are significantly improved in every way. SWMBO really likes the 2.5GT sedan with the 5 speed. The dash gauges light up and cycle through a wave on start up; very cool. Wish they had better paint color choices on the sedans. I see a 2.5X Outback with 5spd in my future in four or five years.

Aug 25, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #40 of 50
BigD: I was looking at the 2.5i as well. Don't even bother. The difference between the 2.5i and the GT is not that much (about $1800?) but the performance difference is in a different league. It's still powerful, but the GT will put that smile on your face...

OldPa: I totally agree with you. There are so many cool features on the GT, and it's so smooth and easy to drive. It's an awesome amount of car for the price you pay, it's totally undervalued. In fact I heard on one of my Subaru boards from someone who works at Subaru, that they are raising the prices of the 2005 models by $100 for all the cars shipping in September... But yes, the color choices are not exactly the best.. But contrary to what I had originally thought, the white and red colors are actually quite nice in person...

PS, for a second opinion on my car, you can ask Raif. He had the opportunity to test drive my car tonight.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

The difference between the 2.5i and the GT is not that much (about $1800?)

Well, I got my 2.5i down to 20K flat with automatic trans. Everything else is pretty much included. Of course, dark blue or black for exterior. Can you match that???

One of the reason why I'm looking at 05 Forrester X (silver) is that I got $5000 off deal on them. Just too good of deal to pass!

Aug 26, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #44 of 50
I don't get it but uhh...ok.

Chinchy: Glad you like the car, that color looks very sharp. I like silver because it looks good even when dirty, but isn't right for some kinds of cars. Black is gorgeous when clean but hard to keep that way. I'd probably opt for no spoiler if ordering, but I'd take one with if that's how it was on the lot. Smooth seems to be a key description for this car. Almost everyone who has driven one comments on the smoothness and quietness of the car/engine, along with how it is deceptively fast or too easy to get up to high speed without realizing it. That's more appealing to me than a WRX that you need to wind out (with an automatic, somehow) to get at the power under the hood.

re the McIntosh: Apparently it is an option on the Australian version of the Legacy GT (called the Liberty) but not available here. Sounds like people are hoping and praying that Subaru brings it to the US models next year, but who knows if that'll happen.

Aug 26, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #45 of 50
Elec: Yeah go for the no-spoiler option. Then import the JDM spec lip spoiler (a pic is at http://www.kingofimports.com/product...&idproduct=149 ) which is very understated AND functional. Actually generates 18 kg of downforce at 90 km/h unlike most of the cosmetic pieces out there.. Plus the small size plays off the lines of the car very well IMO. That was my original plan until I got this car that had the spoiler on it..

You can see another pic from japan, second picture on the page:
http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=122

Man, that Legacy STI is beautiful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back