I'm finally converted to no input caps on my amps.
Oct 10, 2001 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Daniel Pumphrey

100+ Head-Fier
Well I resisted the PPL idea of not using input caps for some time because I had some good very well matched 1 uf WIMA caps.
I finally tried removing the caps on my most recent hot rod amp and must say the bass response has improved. I put some custom ferrite cores which have 6 holes with wires through them in the old capacitor spaces. I think this also helps RF.
I will use this method for all my amps now. Guess I'll use my WIMA's for power supply bypassing now.
Dan

Oct 10, 2001 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 2
Glad that worked out for ya. Those ferrite Beeds are great for keeping RFI out. I use the Kind that has just one hole because i have a bunch of these. I gess the others like you are using will work Better. I also now use a Ferite Beed with leeds attached like a resistor has, On the Input to Buffers now. Greatly improves stability over just using a resistor between the Opamp output and Buffer input. Now use Both with the Beed right next to the Buffers input pin. I have always as you pointed out Been a fan of DC Coupling and evean though some folks hear are not as fond of DC coupling as i am. I have yet to hear anyone say that a Coupling capacitor sound better than a striaght wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back