I'm feeling quite lost, I'd appreciate some help please...
Sep 24, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #16 of 21
I have sprung for the D1, since it has a great DAC and I would utilize it alot, plus its also quite portable. So I might as well get it.
I'll start saving up for the Opera after I get the D1. Well, after some thought, I think this was the best route for me...

If there is one thing I've learnt from Head-Fi, is always try to buy the best you can afford, even if it means having to save up for some time.... There is no point going half way and then upgrading later.... Just IMHO anyway...
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

I have looked at your other 3 options for myself at one time and decided against them all for various reasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to tell me what were those reasons? I'd really like to know if you don't mind?
confused.gif

To be honest I don't remember all the specific reasons. I did read every post on head-fi about the items, as I do with most things I buy (Ahh!, So that's where my life has gone!) plus I sent a fair few PMs asking specifics from people who know. The I made my decisions based on that.

Importantly, what was important to me will not be the same as what is important to you, and what is important to me changes on a regular basis anyway!

Just the fact that I seriously considered all 3 of the units shows they looked good to me.

The reasons had to do with sound quality, connectivity, size and features.

Anyway, all that is moot now if you're getting a D1. Well done, it's a vice unit I hear.

By the way, I amconvinced that separate amp and DAC will give better sound than an Opera, but that's a personal decision.

Quote:

Seems to me you should nothing now, save $500, then wait until the Headamp Pico is released and gets some more reviews (by me for example!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that sound like a good option.
icon10.gif

Truth be told, I'm leaning towards collecting some $$$ and living witout an amp for the time being...
frown.gif

Any links to info about the Pico amp m8?
Thanks
wink.gif

Here's the Pico thread but most of the impressions are in a big meet thread somewhere:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257961

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #18 of 21
Thanks for the link. I'll go read up.
cool.gif

Yeah, I'm getting the D1 because it has quite a good DAC... the amp feature on it is just a bonus for me, something for me to use temporarily, then when I save up enough, I could even get a very good standalone amp and use the DAC function of the D1 to feed it.
icon10.gif

But that will be a topic for another day somewhere down the future
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #19 of 21
Good choice. It's hard to know what features you're going to want in future as needs and wants change. The D1 is a similar kind of thing to the Pico, only much more flexible etc. It can be handy to have a portable amp.

I'm sure you'll love it.

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #20 of 21
Just go with the hornet for now, and enjoy. Then slowly and methodically start a headfi-based savings account. Let it grow. Be patient.
I learned this the hard way, as I was always so close to buying things, only to have unexpected bills come up and ruin everything. Honestly, you'll go nuts otherwise

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #21 of 21
I loved the Cantate when it is paired with the MS-pro. Totally blows away my K601 and CD5001 set-up.

How about a nice mini^3 (you could do-it-yourself or get MisterX to help you make one). It'll cost much less than the Hornet, with (probably) similar performance (check out the headwize thread), but lousier aesthetics. You can then save up till you can afford an Opera (which is one of my dream amps, the others being the B52, SinglePower ES1 and 4-channel Beta22).

Headwize thread:
http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php?fnum=3&tid=7062

PS: I didn't vote at all. Haven't heard either the hornet or opera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back