I'm done messing around.....
Feb 13, 2007 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sant430

500+ Head-Fier
I need to find a dedicated (read home) headphone amp that's going to drive my headphones properly and the way they were meant to be heard. My primary focus is my 701s and my 770/250s, although I still do use my HHF-1s, HHD580s, 770/80s, HSR225s, and TF10pro too.

Right now, my two amps that I use are the earmax pro and Xin's SMIV. The two main sources I use are my Music Hall CD25.2 and my laptop with an echo indigo DJ soundcard. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my EMP and SMIV very much, but I'm feeling/thinking I still haven't my headphones' potential.

I need some help finding an amp (either SS or tube) that will truly let my headphones sing. I figure my budget for a dedicated home amp would be maxxed at $700 on the very high end. I'm also very receptive to some of the amp builders here to create something along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions anyone??

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 20
I'm waiting on my darkvoice 332 based on extremely positive reviews...join the club?...xD

In short, what are you looking for? Whats missing in your setup thats keeping your phones from making em sing sound-wise?

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 20
I would get an used Music Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3. Then I would implement the PinkFloyd mods and one of his Little Pinkie PSU. Fantastic sound!

Other alternatives:

- Mapletree Ear + Purist HD: $600
- Heed CanAmp: $400
- Little Tube Micro Tube: $200

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 20
...to his headphones...its the most expensive gift the cans ever got.

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 20
Done messing around at only $700?
580smile.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to find a dedicated (read home) headphone amp that's going to drive my headphones properly and the way they were meant to be heard. My primary focus is my 701s and my 770/250s, although I still do use my HHF-1s, HHD580s, 770/80s, HSR225s, and TF10pro too.

Right now, my two amps that I use are the earmax pro and Xin's SMIV. The two main sources I use are my Music Hall CD25.2 and my laptop with an echo indigo DJ soundcard. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my EMP and SMIV very much, but I'm feeling/thinking I still haven't my headphones' potential.

I need some help finding an amp (either SS or tube) that will truly let my headphones sing. I figure my budget for a dedicated home amp would be maxxed at $700 on the very high end. I'm also very receptive to some of the amp builders here to create something along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions anyone??

700.00 won't get you very hi end sound.. But 700.00 will still go a long way inregards to SQ.. Some amps more so.. I know the 400.00 can hold its own with amps that cost twice as much.. Thats what I gathered from reading the very long Heed thread..
Headroom Desk top amp.. 700.00... Woo 6 for under 700.00.. Cordia aria for 450.00.. Cordia HA2 & GS-1 for 50.00 more.. Then 700.00..

Feb 14, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting on my darkvoice 332 based on extremely positive reviews...join the club?...xD

In short, what are you looking for? Whats missing in your setup thats keeping your phones from making em sing sound-wise?

I'm going to have to research the darkvoice...very cool. Right now, it seems like my amps aren't providing enough juice for my 580s, 701s and Darth Zebras. Don't get me wrong, the amps definitely do their job (esp. with the other cans), but if I'm still thinking I could find a dedicated amp for the power hungry headphones...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get an used Music Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3. Then I would implement the PinkFloyd mods and one of his Little Pinkie PSU. Fantastic sound!

Other alternatives:

- Mapletree Ear + Purist HD: $600
- Heed CanAmp: $400
- Little Tube Micro Tube: $200

I need to research the Music Fidelity amp most definitely. Is it PinkFloyd who does the mods? Did I read that right? I also thought of the Mapletree Ear and Heed CanAmp options too. Do you know where I could get a Mapletree?

Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you're like...getting engaged or something?

heheehe, yah and my wife's pissed too!
580smile.gif
etysmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...to his headphones...its the most expensive gift the cans ever got.

...and that's WHY my wife's pissed!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done messing around at only $700?
580smile.gif

yah, compared to the $350-$600 I've been spending.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
700.00 won't get you very hi end sound.. But 700.00 will still go a long way inregards to SQ.. Some amps more so.. I know the 400.00 can hold its own with amps that cost twice as much.. Thats what I gathered from reading the very long Heed thread..
Headroom Desk top amp.. 700.00... Woo 6 for under 700.00.. Cordia aria for 450.00.. Cordia HA2 & GS-1 for 50.00 more.. Then 700.00..

So do you think the CanAmp is a sound investment for my 701s and 770/250s? I've also read very very good stuff about the CanAmp.

Thank you all for the input....keep it coming! My gears are turning now......

Feb 14, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to have to research the darkvoice...very cool. Right now, it seems like my amps aren't providing enough juice for my 580s, 701s and Darth Zebras. Don't get me wrong, the amps definitely do their job (esp. with the other cans), but if I'm still thinking I could find a dedicated amp for the power hungry headphones...

I need to research the Music Fidelity amp most definitely. Is it PinkFloyd who does the mods? Did I read that right? I also thought of the Mapletree Ear and Heed CanAmp options too. Do you know where I could get a Mapletree?

heheehe, yah and my wife's pissed too!
580smile.gif
etysmile.gif

...and that's WHY my wife's pissed!!

yah, compared to the $350-$600 I've been spending.....

So do you think the CanAmp is a sound investment for my 701s and 770/250s? I've also read very very good stuff about the CanAmp.

Thank you all for the input....keep it coming! My gears are turning now......

From what I read, the canamp really opens up the 701's.. It's by far the best bang for your buck in regards to SS amps..Much better then the Xcan3, by the majority.. Even with the upgrades..

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I read, the canamp really opens up the 701's.. It's by far the best bang for your buck in regards to SS amps..Much better then the Xcan3, by the majority.. Even with the upgrades..

I'm in process RIGHT NOW of looking for a canamp distributor. I found blackbirdaudio, and I'll see if i can find a couple more......That CanAmp does look tempting.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 20
You considered selling some assets (HPs and amps) for more new amp? Would it be worth it to you?

If you haven't heard a tube amp yet with the 701s, try one. The 701s take on a different sound that I like. They tend to smooth out the pc sound. Also, keep a dac in mind for a future gift(s).
very_evil_smiley.gif

My amp was my christmas, valentine and anniversary gift. I'm reading up on dacs/transports for my next birthday, sweetest day, christmas present 07.
biggrin.gif

Once you decide on a unit, give some time to see if one shows up on the re-sale sites. Could be faster than ordering one (build time), cheaper and will be broke-in. Then, if you don't like it, the hit will be less to resale.

Good luck.

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 20
You can go two routes - keep upgrading and losing money or aim for the best for the bucks that will compete with the best at any price.

The K701 is the best headphone. Beats the K1000 according to many - see the last page in my AKG link below. At $255 it is non-brainer.

The Doge 6210 for less than $400 beats or matches any amp costing $1200 or less, and maybe matches any amp at any price. It is as good as The Bada PH12 overall and does not have any mosfet reliability problems as the Bada can have if not used properly and carefully. The Jolida JD 2A is another great amp that beats much more expensive amps but I think the Doge better meets your needs. Must use good tubes with any tube amp - the stock tubes with Chinese amps are not good.

The Rega Saturn uses new tech that makes it as good as any CDP at any price. For about $1600 or so it is another no brainer.

Good ICs, power cords, and power conditioning are the final touches. They do improve the sound.

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 20
this definitely has given me something to think about.

I'm thinking of either the Mapletree, the canamp, or the doge 6210. I was also recommended Cayin Audio's HA-1A tube amp. Has anyone had any experience with the HA-1A?

This is a great start. Any added input is still appreciated!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back