I'm Craving a well recorded cd with amazing vocal harmonies
Jan 3, 2007 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

labelbassist

New Head-Fier
So I've always loved vocal harmonies, but the Pandora podcast about them got me thinking more about them. After listening to that compressed excerpt of 20 Minute Loop's "Cora May" (from the podcast) on my SR225s and getting a hint of the chills, I am craving some well recorded music laced with amazing and creative vocal harmonies. Does anyone know if the rest of this 20 Minute Loop CD has as much vocal harmony as this song does? I'd also appreciate any other recommendations of recordings matching the aforementioned criteria
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 28
I find i'm spending a lot of time listening to "Martha Wainwright" at the moment, her voice is amazing and the cd is well produced.

Jan 3, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 28
Norah Jones's album "Come Away With Me" might suit your fancy. Two female vocals harmonizing on a lot of the tracks.

Jan 3, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 28
Brian Wilson's 'Smile' is beautifully recorded and has some amazing harmonies.

If you appreciate slightly off-kilter but still gorgeous harmonies I'd also recommend:
Akron/Family - self-titled album
Midlake - Trials of Van Occupanther
Grizzly Bear - yellow house
Tom Ze
early Byrds albums

Jan 3, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 28
Jan 3, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by labelbassist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am craving some well recorded music laced with amazing and creative vocal harmonies.

Cantus fits that description perfectly, however their music sounds absolutely nothing like 20 Minute Loop.

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 28
Ben Harper & The Blind Boys of Alabama - There Will Be a Light & Live at the Apollo... if you're a big fan of strong vocal harmonies, you can't go wrong with either of those albums.

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 28
If you want nothing but vocals, you should try Trio Mediaeval, a Norwegian trio. They sing pre-renaissance music, and their singing is absolutely stunning. They have released two cds, as far as I know, Soir, dit Elle and Words of the Angel.

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 28
If you're not averse to Scots-Irish folk songs, I'd recommend the following.
  1. Many A Foolish Youth and Holly Wood by The Voice Squad.
  2. The Black Family Album by the five siblings of the Black Family, the most famous of whom being Mary and Frances Black. On each song, one of the sib sings the lead voice while the others harmonise. An endearing album overflown with warmth and fun. They have other albums as a group, but this one is the most interesting.
In recent years, EMI has been pushing a trio called The Celtic Tenors. They have fine voices, but the music is only mildly interesting. If you like Gilbert and Sullivan sort of thing, you may like them.

Jan 6, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Norah Jones's album "Come Away With Me" might suit your fancy. Two female vocals harmonizing on a lot of the tracks.

FYI, this album IS NOT mastered well. It has clipping, especially on the first song, which is very evident.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back