I'm Confused: Power Conditioners, Regenerators, Stabalizers... What's the Difference?
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
I've been looking into getting a/some/ some kind of power conditioning setup for my system for a while but in looking into I've kinda gotten confused over what's what.

PS Audio Power Plant 1000 is a Power Regenerator... Ok, what's that? My Monster AVS1000 is a Power Stabalizer which keeps 120 volts constantly running through my system. What's the difference between that and the Power Planet which pumps out 1000 watts of "balanced AC"? Would there be any need for both? Probably not I'm guessing. Is one better than the other?

Then it comes down to the Power Conditoners... I was initially looking into a Hydra but now I've got my eyes set on Audio Magic's top of the line monster PLC called the Transcendence. It looks really amazing and I've heard great things about their products overall. It requires two power cords for the digital and amplifier side so I guess that means it wouldn't be detrimental to the sound to plug both my amp and player into it (I've heard you shouldn't allow your amp and player to share the same power source)?

I guess I'm just asking what would probably be the best way to go with all of this. I really don't want to over-do it but I'm sooooo close to having my dream system completely set up. The power conditioning bit is just about the last detail left to be worked out

Aug 16, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 13
I think you would be very happy with either of those, though I'm uncertain why you're interested in a P1000 instead of a P300 when you only have 2 components... Power regenerators convert ac to dc and back to ac in a perfect sine wave though I believe that PS Audio is now adding a balancing transformer input stage to all its power plants. I'm not a big fan of the monster voltage stablizer as I've heard it kills dynamics, I believe (though I could be wrong) that you dont want analog and digital to share a common ground which isn't a problem in any of these devices which have isolated analog and digital receptacles. Ive heard good things about transformerless products so I would consider the audio magic or Isotek, I would also consider a Balanced Power Tech product, a PS Audio P300 w/ upgrade, and an APC S15 which I've heard good things about. Personally, I would save your cash and go for nice clean sinewaves out of an upgraded P300 which will run you 1000 used or 2000 new. Then call the electrictian over and have him run a dedicated line to your system. Hope this helps.

Aug 17, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Get a Power Plant with MultiWave II+, it has a Clean Sweep function that demagnetizes the system, I can't be without it more than 2 hours.

I removed the transport (computer) from the Power Plant and connected to an Ultimate Outlet and it was like taking a 1 year step backwards in tweaks, it had horrible background noise. When I connected it to a Power Plant it removed 50% of the noise, and when demagnetizing the transport it removed another 40%.

Remember to put a power conditioner between wall and Power Plant to further lower the noise. I would choose UPC-200, High Current Ultimate Outlet or Nordost Thor.

Aug 17, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 13
So exactly what is the difference between the PS Audio Power Plants that regenerates the AC and the Voltage Stabalizer which keeps 120 volts constantly running through the system? It seems like I wouldn't need both, though a PLC would probably still be useful with either one.

But then would it be better to go:

Wall -> Stabalizer/Power Plant -> Power Conditioner -> Player/Amp

or

Wall -> Power Conditioner -> Stabalizer/Power Plant -> Player/Amp?

Aug 17, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
So exactly what is the difference between the PS Audio Power Plants that regenerates the AC and the Voltage Stabalizer which keeps 120 volts constantly running through the system? It seems like I wouldn't need both, though a PLC would probably still be useful with either one.

But then would it be better to go:

Wall -> Stabalizer/Power Plant -> Power Conditioner -> Player/Amp

or

Wall -> Power Conditioner -> Stabalizer/Power Plant -> Player/Amp?

You don't need the Voltage Stabalizer if you have a Power Plant because it outputs constant voltages. You can even choose between 100-120 volts.
The Power Plant works better if it's being fed with clean power, so a power conditioner needs to be placed before it.

Aug 18, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
You don't need the Voltage Stabalizer if you have a Power Plant because it outputs constant voltages. You can even choose between 100-120 volts.
The Power Plant works better if it's being fed with clean power, so a power conditioner needs to be placed before it.

Well, that does clear things up a bit. I do have a few more questions if you don't mind:

The Audio Magic Transcendence is a beast of a PLC. If you've never seen it, here's a link (scroll down for pics): http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...ramblings2.htm

Now, a major feature of the Transcendence is the "filter matching" that you can use with your amp/player to find the right combination of filtered sound that sounds just right. Flip some on and the music has more weight and body, flip some off and the music is fast and more transparent, etc. Wouldn't this beast be kind of wasted just being plugged in from the wall and then just having the Power Plant plugged into it and not my components?

Also, it would seem kind of a waste just using one side of the Transcendence (it's two PLC's in one - one for the digital side and one for the amp side, I'd obviously plug the Power Plant into the amp side).

So perhaps there's a better way to go? Maybe a Nordost Thor or Hydra? I was really looking forward to hearing that thing though.
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 13
I wouldn't use any filters to change the sound, it will make the sound worse one way or another. Putting it in front of the Power Plant could reduce the dynamics, especially since you need another power cord.

You can change the sound using MultiWave II of the Power Plant which outputs clean power at different random frequencies to optimize the power supply of the components.
I like MWAVE4 the best because it gives the highest resolution and more solid mid-bass. If you want the smoothest and warmest sound you can get that with TubeWave, I liked it better than tubes because it's smoother and has higher resolution and less sibilance.

If you want to use different MultiWave settings for each component you need many Power Plants. I liked MWAVE1 for source and MWAVE4 for amp the best, it had the highest resolution and sounded relaxing. I also liked MWAVE2 for source and TubeWave for amp, it had great speed while sounding warm like tubes, I didn't think it could sound like that!
Then I found out that MWAVE4 also works great for DACs so I use MWAVE4 for everything now.

I would definitely get Nordost Thor even if I haven't listened to it. I'm already saving up for it to replace my Ultimate Outlet...

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

I wouldn't use any filters to change the sound, it will make the sound worse one way or another. Putting it in front of the Power Plant could reduce the dynamics, especially since you need another power cord.

You need two power cords because the digital side and analog side (amp/player sides) are completely isolated. The filter matching can be completely turned off or completely turned on to the user's liking. From what I've heard so far, everyone has really liked the filter matching feature. Some don't like to mess with it and keep it turned off, some just keep them all on, but none have complained about it.

Quote:

You can change the sound using MultiWave II of the Power Plant which outputs clean power at different random frequencies to optimize the power supply of the components.
I like MWAVE4 the best because it gives the highest resolution and more solid mid-bass. If you want the smoothest and warmest sound you can get that with TubeWave, I liked it better than tubes because it's smoother and has higher resolution and less sibilance.

If you want to use different MultiWave settings for each component you need many Power Plants. I liked MWAVE1 for source and MWAVE4 for amp the best, it had the highest resolution and sounded relaxing. I also liked MWAVE2 for source and TubeWave for amp, it had great speed while sounding warm like tubes, I didn't think it could sound like that!
Then I found out that MWAVE4 also works great for DACs so I use MWAVE4 for everything now.

I would definitely get Nordost Thor even if I haven't listened to it. I'm already saving up for it to replace my Ultimate Outlet...

It seems to me like using the Power Plant from the wall then the Transcendence wouldn't be such a bad idea either (maybe I could get both then experiment?). I mean, the power would come through to the PP, the PP would take it in, regenerate it, and pump it back out balanced all nice like, then the PLC would take it, clean it up, and pump it out balanced and cleaned into my components...

Of course maybe the other way would be better. The power would come in, be cleaned by the PLC, go through to the PP, be regenerated, balanced, and then be spread throughout my components.

But like I said if I wouldn't end up using both sides of the Audio Magic Transcendence or the Filter Matching I'd probably be better off either getting a Hydra or a Thor...

Aug 18, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 13
One idea (and it's just an idea) is I could buy two P300s, plug them into two outlets (luckily I have two handy near my system), then plug them into the Transcendence, then my player/amp into the Transcendence... I could try that combo out. If that doesn't work maybe something like the Hydra/Thor -> P300/500 (which would my system need?) would be best...

Aug 18, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Go with Thor -> P300. You can also connect many P300 into the Thor. I'm planning Thor -> 3 Power Plants.

If you've never heard it, why are you so sold on the Thor? I've heard some of Audio Magic's products (their previous line was just as good as Shunyata's venerable Hydra's I thought) and their newer ones look even better....

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
If you've never heard it, why are you so sold on the Thor? I've heard some of Audio Magic's products (their previous line was just as good as Shunyata's venerable Hydra's I thought) and their newer ones look even better....

Because of the silver plated circuit board paths and Valhalla internal wiring.

Read the review.

Aug 19, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Because of the silver plated circuit board paths and Valhalla internal wiring.

Read the review.

They seemed to rave about it more in lower end systems rather than high end.

I'm thinking what I could do is just go ahead and buy and try maybe from MusicDirect and see what setup works out the best. I'd have 30 days which would be alot of time to test them out. I could try out the Thor, Power Plant, and Hydra in different combinations and see what works best...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back