I'm confused....do I need a sound card?
Jan 27, 2012 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ammarmalik

New Head-Fier
Firstly, this is the motherboard I have:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7H55V/
It has SPDIF and HDMI. Currently I'm using a Z5500 attached to Creative Soundblaster Xtreme Music through 3 pin analog connection for 5.1. The sound card doesnt have SPDIF.

Now I'm looking to sell the Z5500 and purchase a home theatre system (i use my PC as a HTPC). I will be connecting the HTS through a digital connection. Now as per my understanding, through digital, my HTS will be doing all the work and the digital output from the PC will be just the output and nothing else. So do I need a dedicated sound card with SPDIF or will the SPDIF on my motherboard be all that I need for 5.1 audio?

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 13
You are correct. Don't waste your money on a soundcard if you already have the S/PDIF output that you require.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 13
You don't need a sound card only if you have absolutely no need for gaming DSP features. While you could keep your X-Fi XtremeMusic for that, it won't be easy to find the required S/PDIF Flexijack adapter. (It would've been much easier if they just used mini-Toslink.)

However, there's no point in paying big bucks for higher-end sound cards either, because their main benefit is a better analog output stage...that you're totally ignoring with digital output since your A/V receiver is the DAC in this case.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 13
Why not just sell off the CL XtremeMusic and plug your motherboard's S/PDIF straight into the Logitech Z5500 S/PDIF input, save a few dollars.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Why not just sell off the CL XtremeMusic and plug your motherboard's S/PDIF straight into the Logitech Z5500 S/PDIF input, save a few dollars.

Because I'm under the impression that my sound card can handle audio processing better than the DSP in my Z5500. That being said, can you confirm if the S/PDIF on my motherboard outputs 5.1 or just stereo? Because I cannot find this information anywhere

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Because I'm under the impression that my sound card can handle audio processing better than the DSP in my Z5500. That being said, can you confirm if the S/PDIF on my motherboard outputs 5.1 or just stereo? Because I cannot find this information anywhere

I do not have your motherboards manual handy, but I've never heard of an optical output that did not do 5.1.
Your CL Xtreme Music does do stuff like EAX that your motherboard's audio can not, but when you use the S/PDIF, it bypass the audio processing of the Xtreme Music anyway.
Try removing the CL Xtreme Music, run the optical from the motherboard to the Z5500, inable the built in sound card (in the BIOS), update to the latest audio drivers (Realtek), go into the control panel > Sound, set the audio to 5.1 and see how you like the sound.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Your CL Xtreme Music does do stuff like EAX that your motherboard's audio can not, but when you use the S/PDIF, it bypass the audio processing of the Xtreme Music anyway.

Incorrect. All DSP effects such as EAX and CMSS-3D Headphone go through S/PDIF on X-Fi cards. I've verified this myself.

It's just the analog output stage of the sound card that's being bypassed.

The question is how important those DSP effects are to the OP; they're mainly for gaming, which may not be much of a priority on an HTPC.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 13
EAX is not needed. I've disabled it anyway. I just need to be able to output 5.1 surround to a HTS. And I've searched a few forums with people complaining that S/PDIF on this motherboard only outputs stereo to their receivers :/ Why dont they just make HTS with regular 3pin analog connectors?

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
EAX is not needed. I've disabled it anyway. I just need to be able to output 5.1 surround to a HTS. And I've searched a few forums with people complaining that S/PDIF on this motherboard only outputs stereo to their receivers :/ Why dont they just make HTS with regular 3pin analog connectors?

Well, I don't mean those room presets that add tons of unnecessary reverb to every sound played, but if you're not gaming at all, it's a non-issue and there's no real reason to have a sound card in the first place.

For movies, though, the S/PDIF output device shouldn't even need Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect if the player application can bitstream the track directly. The question is how to set that up, in that case.

As for home theater systems not having analog connectors, it's probably because of the divergence between computer interface standards and consumer electronics interface standards...though I think I've seen a few A/V receivers with individual RCA jacks for each surround channel in analog, so if you don't mind buying a bunch of extra cables and adapters, it might work out that way (at the cost of being at the mercy of the source's DAC, and motherboard audio isn't known for clean analog output by a long shot).

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 13
Well, "regular 3 pin analog" is not actually regular - it's something you find on PCs and nowhere else. You can purchase AV receivers that come with 5.1 analog inputs, it'll be RCA, and you use adapters. Some of them get very spendy, and there's lots of trade-offs to doing things that way until you spend major bucks (five figures). I do not like analog mch as a solution because of the problems it presents (namely, aside from a few very expensive platforms, there is no ADDA stage for the multi-ch inputs; while this may seem like a "good thing" at first blush, remember that modern AVRs and SSPs do all of their processing in the digital domain exclusively - you lose all of that (which includes bass management, channel leveling, and room correction; that more or less defeats the point of having the AVR/SSP with those removed)). The cheapest solution I'm aware of that does bass management/etc for multi-ch analog is the Parasound P7 (but it does no digital processing or room correction), "up" from that would be the McIntosh MX150, and Accuphase VX700 ($10-$20k), I think the Levinson 502 gets you everything and a bag of chips (and at $40,000, it should). 

You won't lose anything going S/PDIF, and you aren't "offloading" processing - you're just changing how the data is sent. The computer is still processing. You need DDL/DTS:C to send a non-Dolby/DTS signal as multi-channel via S/PDIF; I'm aware of NO onboard solution that does this. If you've got a DVD though, the computer should send the AC-3/DTS digital signal straight out and let your external decoder handle it. That said, why bother replacing the Z-5500 at all? What you have works for what you're doing across the board, and you've side-stepped the whole DDL/DTS:C question (and we won't even get into lossy vs lossless, because you're already "there"; same for things like bass management).

Anyways, if you insist, you'll need to find a soundcard that can do DDL/DTS:C - it may be available for your X-Fi with an upgrade pack (few dollars driver). Digital out is via TRS; you just take a TRS to RCA adapter - I can never remember if white or red is out (one is out and one is in, try it one way, if nothing, try the other way - you won't hurt anything plugging an input to an input, you just won't get a signal). If you need TOS, get a coax to TOS adapter (few bucks). Then you'll put that into your AVR, and let it decode. This won't "hurt" for games (they use lossy audio anyways), for music you'll want to run in stereo (PCM, lossless) and make the AVR do the matrix up-mix (if that's your thing; basically if you want to take stereo into 5.1, do it in the AVR, so you're sending PCM @ 1411 vs DD @ 640; Neo:6 is my pick from the commercial stuff). For movies it should do passthrough, I know VLC can be configured this way, I believe WMP can be as well. No idea about other players, but basically you want a "S/PDIF Passthrough" mode where it bitstreams the AC-3/DTS audio out to the receiver. 

Again, I'd just keep the Z-5500, as it sounds like everything works for you, and any HTIB package you buy will have similar quality speakers. If you're stepping up to better speakers with the upgrade (and a real AVR), that's another story, but that's also a lot more bucks.

Quote:

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 13
I like my Z5500 but its subwoofer has suddenly started making 'rattling' noises under some bass frequencies. It's the kind of noise that would come if I place something on top of the enclosure and because of the vibrations of the bass it would rattle on top. I dont think the woofer is blown or anything because the bass performance is still like it was before. It's a completely sealed box and the only way to access the woofer is to cut through the wooden panel. My only other option is a Z906 which from what I've heard is slightly inferior and Z5500 is no longer in production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back