I'm concerned about my new SR-225 purchase PLEASE HELP!!!
Apr 23, 2005 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ajt976

100+ Head-Fier
So, I’m just a tad worried about my new Grado purchase. I received my new SR-225’s on Tuesday from HCM Audio. I immediately started the burn-in process after I got them back home. So they cans have roughly 36 hours on them. I just popped in for a quick listen to see how they were coming along; this is the first new pair of headphones I’ve purchased so naturally I’ve wanted to check in on them now and again to hear the noticeable changes in the sound. I’m now terrified of what I heard!!! Listening very closely I can hear little “pops” coming from both drivers every so often and some mild distortion can be heard at low points in the songs I’m listening to. So the first thing I do is check the files on my computer, hopefully I’m just listening to a bad mp3 right? Wrong, these were lossless tracks I was listening to and I tried several. However, it could be my source because as of right now I’m listening off my onboard audio on my Asus motherboard. Could this be the cause?

On top of all this, upon further inspection of the drivers and housings I noticed some marks on the housings. The odd thing is the marks seem to be in the same general locations. Is this normal? One mark looks like a scuff right under the “D” in GRADO LABS, and one looks like some one shaved off part of the lip that holds the pad’s on. Plus the face of the driver’s plastic housing is kind of scraped up in areas. Are these markings from the factory assembly process? I’m so confused.

Like I said, I bought them from HCM Audio brand new. They shipped in a standard Grado box that was sticker sealed. Also, HCM Audio is a factory authorized Grado dealer with a valid 1 year factory warranty.

Questions:
1.)Is there anything else I can do to test the headphones to see if they are really defective?

2.)How worried should I be about the popping? Should I contact HCM or Grado and try to see if I can get them repaired or replaced under warranty?

3.)Are the marks on these headphones normal for brand new cans? Should I address this with HCM?

I’m really starting to notice how great these headphones really are. The highs are taming down a bit and the low end is coming out great. The sound is freakin AMAZING!!! It’s just every now and again I hear those pops.

Fellow Head-Fier’s, PLEASE HELP ME!!! I need to hear that lovely sound again without the distortion
icon10.gif

Thanks in advance for your advice and comments.

Andrew

Apr 23, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 19
are you running your cans from a headphone out or a line out from your soundcard?

Apr 23, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
However, it could be my source because as of right now I’m listening off my onboard audio on my Asus motherboard. Could this be the cause?

Yes, that is probably the problem. I have this issue with one of my other computers, too (onboard audio).

As for the build quality of Grados...they're always kind of like that...lots of manufacturing imperfections.

Apr 23, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Yes, that is probably the problem. I have this issue with one of my other computers, too (onboard audio).

As for the build quality of Grados...they're always kind of like that...lots of manufacturing imperfections.

I agree with the above, but I'd also check your music. It could be that your actual music isn't recorded well and simply distorts. Try listening from a decent CD player.

Apr 23, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

are you running your cans from a headphone out or a line out from your soundcard?

I'm running out of a headphone out, just onboard audio from the motherboard because I lent my soundcard out to a friend.

Quote:

what was your burn-in process like? how loud, etc?

I don't know the standards for the burn-in process, I guess it was a little louder than my normal listening levels.

I will try to find a better source to listen too. I listened more on some different songs and the pops are still there. Lemme try a couple different albumns.

But the general consensus is the marks are normal?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Apr 23, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 19
Man, definitely get a better source. Did you even think that onboard sound will do your Grado's any justice whatsoever?

EDIT: Nm, I see you already have those. Just get it back from your friend and problem solved
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 19
Ahhh...a brief sigh of relief. I decided I had to know for sure TONIGHT, so I'm over at my girlfriends house right now listening on a dedicated source. You guessed it, ONBOARD SUCKS FOR PLAYBACK!!! I'm so relieved
biggrin.gif

I'm still kind of confused, I was listening off the onboard audio out for like 2 days and it NEVER sounded as bad as that. There was a little bit of hiss when there was no music playing, but it never popped or had that much distortion. Do you think hooking up the Grado's could have damaged it?

O well, thanks for all your help. I think I have an extra SB Live card laying around that I can put in for now, that should be better than the onboard stuff. Back to headphone bliss
icon10.gif

Thanks much,
Andrew

Apr 23, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #11 of 19
the positive of good headphones is that good audio sounds better

the negative is that bad audio sounds worse.

it'll make you hear the "true sound" a lot more, rather then smoothing out the top and bottom 15% of audio quality like cheap headphones do

Apr 23, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #12 of 19
To test if the pops are into the source file repeat the song where you hear them and look if they are always at the same point.
If it's your computer you'll have to test with another source. (Anything with a jack headphone it's enough: Radio, walkman, tv, etc).
yesterday i hear distortion in my new grados sr225 and it was a hair into the driver.
I think the quality of construction is't crappy. At least compared with the Senns HD600.

Apr 23, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 19
Maybe I was unclear. I've been listening to the Grado's off the onboard audio for 2 day's. During the 2 day's it sounded great until last night when I started hearing the pops. Maybe the Grado drivers have just loosened up during the burn in process and now they can deliver that level of detail?

And by the way, The SB Live card is really terrible as well. There are no more pops, the distortion is less, but it's added this "airey" aspect to all of my music as well as you can really tell I'm playing off the computer. I can hear more of that "computerish" additive to all my music that I didn't hear with the onboard.

O well,
Quote:

Just get it back from your friend and problem solved
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll just do this and get my AV-710 back...or perhaps a new 0404
very_evil_smiley.gif

Upgraditis here I come!!!

Apr 23, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ntsour
You could also try muting everything except Wave/MP3. Audio-CD, and line-in might generate a lot of strange noise even when not in use. It helpled in my case.

Ya that's a good idea.I remember hearing tons of distortion before seeing that my line in and auxilary were turned up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back