I'm buying Abyss 1266 phi tc but I need an advice about electronics;
Oct 17, 2022 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sng mh7

New Head-Fier
Well I was planing to buy Topping A90 D and for a dac use my Audiolab 6000a play as preamp...
Is that ok? I can imagine that I wont get the full potencial of 1266 but will it be listenable? Can it sound bad having not good dac with 1266?

Well I hope and plan to buy better dac (maybe k dac or used Sagra dac... Or any other suggestion?) but It can take some months, maybe even year or more... Will it be listenable meantime?

And also: when I contacted local hifi dealer (to buy a cable to connect dac and amp) he strongly suggested buying Nuprime 10h dac... Which is cca 2100€ but he claimed it is really good and it should be dac and amp... Do anybody know that dac? Does it have enough power? And is it really better than topping a90d with K dac?

Oct 17, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 8
There is an abyss thread with endless oneupman ship of what amp one needs to scale 1266. But you probably have a reason to tailor your question, however, I dont know these dacs or amps. All the advice I’d share is 1266 being the King Kong of hp, the peak, regardless of fit or preference. One should muscle up a great dac amp and cables for this thang. Good luck, I do approve, shoot high.

Oct 18, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 8
Thank you for Audio gd Master 19 proposal. As I've read until now it is better choice than a90, better soundstage and more 3D sounding what attracts me a lot. Well, person who had it with 1266 wanted to upgrade because of bass...
Well, now I will check also Headamp Gs-x mini...

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Don’t know about the Taurus but have a Master 9 and it is fantastic with the AB-1266’s.

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 8
check out the "speaker amps for headphones" thread in the summit fi forum here. Some of those are pretty reasonable and available more often used than some of the top headphone amps. The topping won't sound as good as the really expensive stuff, but it's definitely not going to sound bad if you want to save for now too.

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 8
check out the "speaker amps for headphones" thread in the summit fi forum here. Some of those are pretty reasonable and available more often used than some of the top headphone amps. The topping won't sound as good as the really expensive stuff, but it's definitely not going to sound bad if you want to save for now too.
Will it not? That would be a revelation. Well meantime I found out taurus mk2 (used) and Master 19 for relativelly similar price but better.
Well but now attract me a lot idea of buying Benchmark HPA4 used
But is it really possible and more; does it make sense to use it with a bad dac? At least for some time?
So, in which way does dac make things sound good or bad and for how much? Can bad dac make things harsh (how anoying can it be?). I Heard that not good dac rarely do bass good... Does it mean then that bass is not ok? Or not?

Well Abyss team advice not using speaker amp for headphones for people who don't really know things (technology) and dangers well (for example unplugging while on power) And I really don't. I really like music but all those electronics... I don't understand them. Plus where to get a cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back