I'm buying 5.1 Surround Headphones - Any Suggestions?
Apr 17, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
Insert plug for Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro/80 as a great headphone for gaming HERE.

Seriously. It sounds like a broken record, but for gaming, the two top choices here have been the DT 770 and the Audio Technica A900.

I went with the DT 770 because I could buy them locally and they had velour ear cups that I thought were kinda neat. They have not disappointed - great for games, movies, music. Even my iPod Nano has no trouble driving them.

IDK for gaming I thought the HD650s were much better than the A900s, I don't care for the A900 though so this is just imho.

Apr 17, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #17 of 46
I've ordered the Philips SBCHD1500U, which should arrive shortly. The sound quality is supposed to be better than the Pioneer, and it uses digital RF transmission instead of IR. The old headphones themselves had some quality issues, but those are apparently solved in the newer "U" version. The new version also has more inputs, and a remote.
Check out http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194397 for additional info.
BTW, two additional regular headphones can be hooked up to the transmitter, so you can enjoy Dolby Headphone with your favorite phones.

Ellen

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
IDK for gaming I thought the HD650s were much better than the A900s, I don't care for the A900 though so this is just imho.

Aren't the 650's better than just about anything responsible humans can purchase?
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 46
Get yourself a receiver that has Dolby Headphone (surround) and pick up some spacious cans, like the K601/701 or maybe a DT-990.

You'll probably end up with far superior sound to some crap 'surround' cans. Plus this setup will also work well for stereo music reproduction.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Don't go with wireless also IMO. Go with ATH-A500. They are amazing for handling surround and shaking head.

Have you used the Pioneer DIR800c mentioned in this thread? Wireless wasn't a priority at all for me when I bought these, but the reviews were all so good I decided to get them anyway... there are zero problems with the wireless transmission with these cans.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HoichiTheEarless
Have you used the Pioneer DIR800c mentioned in this thread? Wireless wasn't a priority at all for me when I bought these, but the reviews were all so good I decided to get them anyway... there are zero problems with the wireless transmission with these cans.

Honestly NO... But similar thing that did you ever use any audiophile grade headphones ? At this world even high quality cables failed to produce desired sound and people spending hundreds of bucks and changing their cables to make them sound like they desire. Wireless serves convinence rather then producing quality like wires.

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Hard to believe, but absolutely true. The IR wireless transmission has never given so much as a snap, crackle, pop, or skip, as long as you have line of sight with the decoder box. If you leave the room, it stop's working, but I hit pause if I'm leaving the room anyway.

The decoder box has a headphone-out. I have used it with a dedicated headphone amp and K-701's and it's nice, but to be honest with you, the wireless phones actually sound better--for movies. Music is an entirely different deal; this setup is marginal for music, and I don't use it for music.

The convenience factor with wireless is significant. There's no cord for one's spouse to trip over, and you don't accidently yank the decoder box into orbit. The wireless cans also have a very convenient volume control knob on them. If you use wired phones, you have to control volume from the decoder box, or put an attenuator in line (I'm far too lazy for all that when watching movies).

There is a reason why this product still sells for the same price it did when it came out, and why the model hasn't changed. It just works.

If I had to find a negative, there are two: 1) you need a neck pillow to avoid "ear-pinch" when reclining for long periods of time; and 2) you get no warning when the headset batteries are dying--they just stop. These are very minor negatives; I love this thing.

I also watch movies frequently on my computer using DH through Power DVD or WinDVD, with K-701's and a dedicated amp/DAC (2006 Total BitHead). Again, for a natural movie surround experience, the stock pioneer system connected to a DVD player/television sounds better.

You must hear it to believe it.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Honestly NO... But similar thing that did you ever use any audiophile grade headphones ? At this world even high quality cables failed to produce desired sound and people spending hundreds of bucks and changing their cables to make them sound like they desire. Wireless serves convinence rather then producing quality like wires.

I'm certainly not making a claim that the wireless transmission from the Pioneer set is superior to the best wired cans that money can buy. But I will say this, recreating the quality of experience listening to movies through this set with other equipment would take considerably more research and money, in all likelihood.

ComfyCan put it well and it sounds like he/she has more of an audiophile background than I do. For the purpose of watching movies, with the Pioneer cans you are talking about a pair of headphones that is specifically engineered for listening to movies with DH. How many audiophile grade headphones are engineered with DH in mind? If the acoustics of a specific pair happen to be perfect for DH, it is probably a happy accident.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #24 of 46
i own pioneer 1000's, similar to the 800 series and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the fact that they are wireless. ive used them for several years now and have never had so much as a hiccup with them. they are highly reco'd for 5.1 movies and music dvds as well (the kraftwerk dts dvd kicks some major ass!) for the people that say 5.1 cant be done with headphones, clueless, ignorant, maybe both...

Apr 17, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #25 of 46
The problem with wireless transmission is you need an amplifier and an attenuator inside the headset itself. Trying to design something more than the most basic of FET designs in the limited space provided is impossible.

It's entierly possible to make an IR unit paired with with a standalone battery powered headphone amp that has minimal loss in sound quality, but no one builds them that way, unfortunatly.

Apr 17, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #26 of 46
ok whatever, i have pioneer 1000s and have no problem with them at all. they are 5.1 HEADPHONES and not speakers. so obviously you would never get the same reproduction as a full 5.1 home theatre, but i love the 1000s and wouldnt trade them. whatever the guy above me said may or may not be true i dont know but i like the pioneer rig.

Apr 17, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

How many audiophile grade headphones are engineered with DH in mind? If the acoustics of a specific pair happen to be perfect for DH, it is probably a happy accident.

Assuming DH as dolby headphone. I had Gainward soundXplosion 5.1. It was most sucking headphone ever I heard. Please click here and download software It's a software can My both phones are handling 360 degree surround excactly as I wish and as we hear at Dolby theater with EAX sourround enabled in my PC. IT's hard to believe that two drivers are producing these sound.

I don't know the reason why they can't handle dolby while they are made for producing clear and natural sound with better and wide 3D soundstage ....Only these phones are not coming with dedicated dolby decoder. For PC you don't need this. But for other devices you may use other low cost decoder comes with dolby phones. They should perform better then high cost setup.

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

i would go with an xfi soundcard and the best set of sennheisser phones you can afford. the 3d positioning in games is incredible. the card can take surround sound info from games and movies and put them in stereo headphones and does a great job.

I sure hope you don't buy into Creative's EAX superior sound positioning crap... 1st off it really doesn't give any better positioning, it's just for environmental sound affects. 2nd the majority of games out there don't actually support EAX such as HL2.

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle
I sure hope you don't buy into Creative's EAX superior sound positioning crap... 1st off it really doesn't give any better positioning, it's just for environmental sound affects. 2nd the majority of games out there don't actually support EAX such as HL2.

EAX sounds perfact for me anyway. It sounds clear and real like 3d for me. Did you ever try it with A*00 phones ?

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle

But...

BF2 does!!! Wheeee!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back