I'm almost done with upgrades for the rest of this year
Feb 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Leslie Dorner

100+ Head-Fier
My purse took a beating over these past few weeks. I've been getting lots of stuff that I need. I got the Etymotic ER-4PT with the 4S adapter, AKG K 702, and a Toshiba 2.5" 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD. I still need a portable USB DAC and headphone amplifier. I am thinking about the HeadRoom Total BitHead, but I want something that is bus powered so I don't have to carry extra AAA batteries with me. Otherwise, I'm almost done. There's really nothing else that I want to get for the time being.

How about you? How close are you to reaching the end of your upgrade cycle?

I may opt for the Meridian Explorer as it seems to be a higher end product that would be more suitable for the Etymotic ER-4S. I hate listening to music or audio from my System76 headphone jack. It sucks so bad. I was at the library today and I had no other choice but to listen to the headphone output jack and everything sounded terrible.

So, I do need a USB DAC and headphone amplifier. There's the CEntrance DACport as an alternative competitor to the Meridian Explorer. I'm not sure which one to get.

I'll be re-installing Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit and my favorite software applications onto my Toshiba 1 TB HDD. I'll copy my massive music, e-books, magazines, and pictures libraries to the Toshiba HDD. Then, I'll let CrashPlan+ backup everything in a few days.

I'm almost done with upgrades. It feels great. It's a feeling of satisfaction and contentment. Sure, other people have nicer headphones or IEMs than me, but I have a top of the line audio rig and a top of the line System76 Leopard Extreme desktop PC. I will have a capable System76 Lemur Ultra Thin notebook PC with a huge 1 TB HDD soon. Contentment is so difficult to achieve in this hobby. There's always the curse of upgrading and cycling out gear for stuff that everybody else is raging about.

I think that the best thing for me to do is to become inactive and stop frequenting this place. I have a lot of work to get to at the office. We are not allowed to surf the Internet at work. In fact, we don't have an Internet connection at most of our PCs for security reasons.

Once I'm done with my last upgrade, I'll quietly go my path and I won't keep upgrading for the next two years. I don't care if my stuff gets old. I'll still be happy and content. It's places like this one that make me want to keep upgrading. I got to learn to stay away.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
 Contentment is so difficult to achieve in this hobby. 

Not sure I agree with contentment being difficult to achieve.  My tax refund is now safely in my bank account, yet I am not doing any upgrading of my audio gear....I like what I have. 
L3000.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm pretty much done. i may get a nice set of speakers sometime in the next 5 years maybe. I'll probably get other things too like an upgraded turntable and perhaps another full size headphone but that won't happen till maybe 10 years from now.

But other than that, it's time for me to focus on the music not gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back