I'm after a ZMF like headphone.
Jun 25, 2023 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

N3XED

New Head-Fier
So, I don't know how to word this, but I'm after a headphone like a ZMF. Which I have been told is a great headphone to go for a timbre/dynamic range experience. But I'm only using that as a reference, Because frankly, I'm not quite sure *What* headphone I'm after.

So just for reference, I currently use a Audeze LCDX 2021, Which I thoroughly enjoy. But sometimes, It falls a little flat on it's face. I know it has great sound quality, but it's hard to enjoy sometimes *because* of said quality. It highlights every little detail and issue with a poorly recorded music and it's painful to listen to for those tracks. And so with that (And the desire to own a wooden cup/resin molded headphone), I'm after a headphone that's not quite as detailed as the Audeze, but one that has better timbre/dynamic range as well as real.... *Nuance* the sound.. That make sense? I was recommended ZMF's because they fit that category of headphone. Great timbre, not to detailed. They scale well with higher equipment as I've seen as well.

So after this long little introductory like paragraph, could someone point me into the right direction of what I might be looking for? Couple things to mention:
.I'd prefer a dynamic driver headphone, But I'm open to suggestions otherwise.
.I have a powerful amp (Cayin IHA6) So I can probably power it if it's a hungry headphone.
.I like a mid range focused headphone with good bass. Not a fan of harsh/bright/sibilant headphones.

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 12
It’s very subjective subject and those of us who have made a particular choice tend to sing its praises.and then there is the issue of budget. It sound like we share similar taste in what we might like in sound.
I have had and enjoyed the following: Susvara my best all around ever also the most expensive. AB 1266 a close second to Susvara a bit less not much in price and very dynamic with good solid base , its a headphone you feel more but is just a tad less of an all rounder than Susvara, LCD 5 loved it, less than both in cost and performance a shade under both IMO the next level down. The one I would recommend you give a listen too would be the Focal utopia. For me it seemed to be right in the middle of top tier next tier with a solid build, quality and a bit less in price and seems to work with a lot of component chaining including portable DAC’s. I’m sure there are lots more but those I have experienced and enjoyed them all for different reasons. None of them for me made me feel like i could not finish a track or pain the brain…………..good luck as they say in the search is the fun of the hobby………

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 12
It’s very subjective subject and those of us who have made a particular choice tend to sing its praises.and then there is the issue of budget. It sound like we share similar taste in what we might like in sound.
I have had and enjoyed the following: Susvara my best all around ever also the most expensive. AB 1266 a close second to Susvara a bit less not much in price and very dynamic with good solid base , its a headphone you feel more but is just a tad less of an all rounder than Susvara, LCD 5 loved it, less than both in cost and performance a shade under both IMO the next level down. The one I would recommend you give a listen too would be the Focal utopia. For me it seemed to be right in the middle of top tier next tier with a solid build, quality and a bit less in price and seems to work with a lot of component chaining including portable DAC’s. I’m sure there are lots more but those I have experienced and enjoyed them all for different reasons. None of them for me made me feel like i could not finish a track or pain the brain…………..good luck as they say in the search is the fun of the hobby………
Thanks for that reply. Honestly didn't think the first reply would mention an abyss Ab1266 and sussy vara but well... I shouldn't be surprised now should I! :dt880smile:

Jun 25, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 12
The zmf aeolus will be a perfect fit for you! Get a tube amp in the future. Fun, musical, addictive and forgiving. The lack of the ultinate technicalities is the stopper for me.

Next step up should be the meze empyrean for the forgiving nature

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Seconding the Aeolus, it's got a very warm and cozy sound signature and great timbre. It's the least analytical of the ZMFs and I'd say the least fatiguing too

Jun 25, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Atrium. I'm coming from Audeze LCD-X 2021 too and it's an upgrade across the board. Much better timbre, smoother treble while still being detailed and has some of the best mid-range you'll find. Lots of pad & mesh options so you can get them even darker/ warmer or brighter if you want. It also supposedly scales well with tube amps but I haven't tried them on tubes yet. Aeolus would also be another good choice.

Jun 25, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 12
So, I don't know how to word this, but I'm after a headphone like a ZMF. Which I have been told is a great headphone to go for a timbre/dynamic range experience. But I'm only using that as a reference, Because frankly, I'm not quite sure *What* headphone I'm after.

So just for reference, I currently use a Audeze LCDX 2021, Which I thoroughly enjoy. But sometimes, It falls a little flat on it's face. I know it has great sound quality, but it's hard to enjoy sometimes *because* of said quality. It highlights every little detail and issue with a poorly recorded music and it's painful to listen to for those tracks. And so with that (And the desire to own a wooden cup/resin molded headphone), I'm after a headphone that's not quite as detailed as the Audeze, but one that has better timbre/dynamic range as well as real.... *Nuance* the sound.. That make sense? I was recommended ZMF's because they fit that category of headphone. Great timbre, not to detailed. They scale well with higher equipment as I've seen as well.

So after this long little introductory like paragraph, could someone point me into the right direction of what I might be looking for? Couple things to mention:
.I have a powerful amp (Cayin IHA6) So I can probably power it if it's a hungry headphone.
.I like a mid range focused headphone with good bass. Not a fan of harsh/bright/sibilant headphones.

If LCD-X 2021 is too revealing for your type of songs, than I think most of TOTL Headphones will suffer the same problem.

If it has to ZMF, I would opt for ZMF Aeolus, or Atrium with a little tweak here and there (pad and cable rolling). For other option, Focal utopia 2022 could be an option too, but still more revealing than LCD-X.

Jun 26, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 12

+100 for the ZMF Aelous and like what was said above, get yourself a good tube amp and don't look back. I have the IHA6 here and while it drives the Aeolus very well, tubes are where it's at with ZMF headphones.

Jun 27, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 12
Hmm. Seems the Aeolus is synonymous with my requests! I'm willing to fork out a bit more though. I had my eyes on some of the closed back options, namely the Verite. Perhaps that's too revealing though?

Atrium Closed Back would be a little more forgiving.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Of the closed backs, I'd say the AC is the must forgiving and comfortable. The Atticus is warm with a fun, checkmark signature so it's got a bit of a treble bump, and the VC is similarly revealing to the open Vérité, granted the Vérité line has slightly laid back mids anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back