I'm about to order a Cute Beyond
Jun 21, 2006 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Andrea

Banned - aka HeavySoul - aka inconnu - aka Albert - aka layman - aka joe_average - aka altglos - aka Mr boobi - aka mikesand - aka blindbuy - aka The Well - aka yummy-fi
(yes I know this is roughly a copy of another recent thread)

I'm planning an op-amp upgrade (likely two OPA627) and a (diy) power supply upgrade too. For a budget strictly within $200 including shipping, do you think there's anything better on the planet that I should rather go for? Speak now or shut up forever!
biggrin.gif

Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 20
Huh?
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 20
Yes,No,Yes,No,Yes,No,Yes... Chimpie,You have mail...LOL
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpie
NO!! There is no better choice!!

BTW: Wanna buy my Cute Beyond??
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks. I must wait a couple of days to buy the amp (new). Meanwhile, feel free to keep answers coming
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 20
I do?? Nope, I don't. Didn't make it through.

Send me a PM!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
Yes,No,Yes,No,Yes,No,Yes... Chimpie,You have mail...LOL
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 20
Meditation made me change my mind. I'll take a Portaphile V2^2 with LT1210, instead of the Cute. Ah, this portable amp weakness.
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 20
Wait; don't be hasty... I believe with some bit more meditation, you just may reorder the Headfive....No?
580smile.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
I love my Cute Beyond, but if all goes well someone will drop by with a Headfive on sunday for a comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

That sounds very interesting given they're of a similar price. I'd be keen to know that you guys conclude in that head to head.

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
Wait; don't be hasty... I believe with some bit more meditation, you just may reorder the Headfive....No?
580smile.gif

Tried that... but Jan wouldn't reply to my email despite what he said about a one-week reservation...

Anyhow - while I'm a little sad for letting the Cute go, I've already contacted Casar of Portaphile to get my V2^2 (with the 1500uF NX BlackGates and the LT1210 virtual ground chip) prepared. So please be reassuring
very_evil_smiley.gif
(joke
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597
That sounds very interesting given they're of a similar price. I'd be keen to know that you guys conclude in that head to head.

We'll deffinitly have a Grado SR-325i, Beyer DT770, and a HD-595 to compare with. Possibly a SR-60 and DT880 aswell. I'm looking forward to it.

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 20
Each, I am sure, has its different strenths and counterpoints beyond the synergistic sound coupled with ones specific gear with personal preferances as to our prefered target sound,accepting the fewest compromises, IE: build quality & longivity of the design within any given econimic budget. Yes, a very difficult choice indeed.... Agreed... And I suppose that is the hitch in this hobby of having to try/buy to be able to live with any given set up to see if it lives up to the idea,logic, or initial impressions ... Very difficult, but also fun too!
I do understand indecision in the process too...

Jun 21, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 20
Yup, true... and thanks for the sympathy!

Jun 21, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 20
It's buyers remorse. Right after I paid for my HeadFive, I thought that I perhaps should have gone for an Aria - once you consider that it's got a DAC, the price makes sense. Adding a seperate DAC will end up costing more than an Aria, and you get a better headphone amp with the Aria. Then there's the Cute amp... it's a set, so you can get the DAC separately at a later date. Argh!

Anyway, now that the HeadFive has come, I'm well happy with it. Next thing to upgrade is my headphone. No more amps (for now)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back