I'm about to get the Ear+ HD Super Headphone Amplifier for RS1
Nov 23, 2008 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

freakmax

500+ Head-Fier
I'm about to get the Ear+ HD Super Headphone Amplifier to pair with my RS-1's and probably HD650's in the future.
Here is my setup :Mac Mini (Apple Lossless) > Monster Toslink > Stello DA100 > ???? > RS-1's
Listen to Rock ,Blue ,Folk ,Jazz (Most of them are 60's-80's) and some classical
I want to get rid of RS1's sibilance and want smooth ,rich mid and great bass.

Some questions here.
1.Should I go for the DACT stepped attenuator which is cost $230?
What benefit would I get over the normal one?

2.Would the amp match well with RS1's and Senn HD650?

3.Can I do better than this? Please recommend. (I want to keep it under 2000 USD) It doesn't have to be a tube amp.

beerchug.gif

Please help..... I need new amp.
icon10.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 8
The Mapletree amp was voice by Dr. Lloyd using Sennheiser cans so it sounds very good w/ them. By accident they sound superb w/ the Grado cans.

Currently the good Dr. has a Ear+ HD Super on sale for $800 (saves you $50) and free S&H for the month of November (saves you another $35). So I would get that one and pass on the attenuator.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 8
If you do end up getting it, I look forward to your impressions against the EMS
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Unless you're looking to drive multiple headphones simultaneously, the EAR+ HD Super is probably overkill for you. The regular EAR+ HD is cheaper, built well, and should easily power HD650's and RS-1's. According to Lloyd of Mapletree
Audio, the principle sound quality of both units remains identical, with the Super being designed for high power applications rather than for superior sound quality.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 8
1. No, it doesn't change the sonics that much.
2. Fine
3. No.

The Super IS overkill and, may not even sound better to you than the regular model.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some questions here.
1.Should I go for the DACT stepped attenuator which is cost $230?
What benefit would I get over the normal one?

2.Would the amp match well with RS1's and Senn HD650?

3.Can I do better than this? Please recommend. (I want to keep it under 2000 USD) It doesn't have to be a tube amp.

beerchug.gif

Please help..... I need new amp.
icon10.gif

The Super sounds refined and smooth with the normal pot. Personally, I would not want to give up the ability to set the exact volume I want to go with a stepped attenuator; especially for considerably more money.

The Super has tube rectification and the amp sounds different to noticeably different from the Ear+ .... depending on the rectifier. I had both the Ear+ and the Super at the same time and the Super was better driving high impedance headphones. The Supers higher power comes in handy where the standard amp begins to run out of output at high impedances. The Grados sound very good with both amps. The Senns or the AKG 701 dont sound nearly as good with the Mapletrees as my other amps did .... but the Super does the best job of the two IMO.

Here is the original prototype Super I had Llloyd build for me.

mapltreeearsuperwhite.jpg

Is there anything better under $2000? I like the Singlepower PPX3 SLAM/ MPX3 SLAM or Singlepower Extreme much better than the Mapletrees; especially if you can pick up a used SP amp in mint condition. For amps that mate well with Grados and Senns the PPX3 SLAM or Extreme, in particular, are first rate.

Picture093.jpg

HPIM0126.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back