I'm about to buy a pair of monitors. How to control on/off and volume?
Oct 4, 2016 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Estiui

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying a couple of JBL LSR305 to be used as PC speakers, but the volume wheels are on the back of the monitors and it is not confortable to be moving both wheels from there.

Therefore, I'd like to control them (volume basically, on/off would be a plus) physically from a more confortable position. I've seen expensive solutions, as USB wheels or dedicated controllers, but there are priced over 60$, which seems a bit expensive to me for a beautiful potentiometer.

So I'm wondering if it would be worth to upgrade another component, as for instance an external sound card (I'm currently using the integrated in the mother board), like a Creative X-Fi 5.1 Pro, which has a nice wheel.

It is important to say that I would like to connect a digital piano to the speakers too, so in case I bought some component, I'd like to be able to have 2 inputs (computer and piano) going through the same output (JBL monitors).

Currently, the most feasible option is controlling the volume with the PC keyboard and mouse. It's not the most sexy approach, but it works. However, I cannot switch the power on the monitors, and still is not as fast as a physical dedicated controller would be.

I'm a bit lost on this, so I'd appreciate some expertise here :)

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 15
Your budget may be an issue but there are cheep audio interfaces that will do exactly what you require.  Entry level interfaces like the focusrite solo, Roland Duo-capture or the Native Instruments tractor-2 should do the job.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 15
  Your budget may be an issue but there are cheep audio interfaces that will do exactly what you require.  Entry level interfaces like the focusrite solo, Roland Duo-capture or the Native Instruments tractor-2 should do the job.

This seems to be a good option, although I'm concerned about possible limitations. Will it play the audio output from the computer through the speakers AND the headphones simultaneously? Will it also play the instrument line in? Does it work as a typical sound card but with improved DACs and AMPs?

I have lots of picky questions about interfaces, I'm a total noob :frowning2:

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 15
re: headphones yes you can play both speakers and headphones at same time, or one or the other, mine has individual volume control for both. 

I use midi to connect my mini keyboard, you should also be able to use a line in.

Its is a sound card, just connected via usb and set up in windows its a 2 minute job, it will also ignore any on board sound processing.  The benefit of a interface over a tradition sound card is you can move it between computers in seconds.

HTH

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 15
  re: headphones yes you can play both speakers and headphones at same time, or one or the other, mine has individual volume control for both. 

I use midi to connect my mini keyboard, you should also be able to use a line in.

Its is a sound card, just connected via usb and set up in windows its a 2 minute job, it will also ignore any on board sound processing.  The benefit of a interface over a tradition sound card is you can move it between computers in seconds.

HTH

Thanks, will look into the Scarlett 2i2.

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 15
+1 on the focusrite 2i2 -- nice little piece that should meet the needs.  it's only $96 on the focusrite web site -- great deal.

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 15
You should consider the Schiit SYS. A high-quality passive preamp with a volume control and an input selector for 2 (RCA) input sources. $49. Designed exactly for this use, AFAICT.

I use it for my desktop monitors, switching between the output from the PC or from my headphone system. Set the volume control on the powered speakers (mine are Emotiva AirMotivs) to max, and then use the volume control on the SYS, which is located within easy reach. Works like a champ. Two sets of 6' RCA cables from Monoprice were long enough to make the connections to the SYS for my set-up. 

http://schiit.com/products/sys

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 15
  You should consider the Schiit SYS. A high-quality passive preamp with a volume control and an input selector for 2 (RCA) input sources. $49. Designed exactly for this use, AFAICT.

I use it for my desktop monitors, switching between the output from the PC or from my headphone system. Set the volume control on the powered speakers (mine are Emotiva AirMotivs) to max, and then use the volume control on the SYS, which is located within easy reach. Works like a champ. Two sets of 6' RCA cables from Monoprice were long enough to make the connections to the SYS for my set-up. 

http://schiit.com/products/sys

schiit sys is a nice piece, but it's analog only.  the 2i2 can serve as a dac, preamp, and headphone amp -- would be a significant step up from using the analog out from his pc.  since the 2i2 is an audio interface, could even hook the analog outs from the piano to the 2i2 to send the sound through the speakers and record himself at the same time.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 15
I have used the steinberg in the past when recording and a nice bit of kit for the money, I would say its also a fair recommendation.  I only like to recommend kit I actually own or have owned in the past.  I find focusrite gear to be almost faultless in terms of value for money, I have dropped/thrown/manhandled my 2i4 for several years and its still working like its new out the box.  Pretty much all audio interfaces are built with a certain "durability" factor involved, unlike consumer dacs that are not designed to be thrown in a backpack or a kit box and moved on a daily/hourly basis.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 15

looks like it goes to 192k -- better than the 96k with the 2i2.

Good to know, though I think I'll never use that.

I have used the steinberg in the past when recording and a nice bit of kit for the money, I would say its also a fair recommendation.  I only like to recommend kit I actually own or have owned in the past.  I find focusrite gear to be almost faultless in terms of value for money, I have dropped/thrown/manhandled my 2i4 for several years and its still working like its new out the box.  Pretty much all audio interfaces are built with a certain "durability" factor involved, unlike consumer dacs that are not designed to be thrown in a backpack or a kit box and moved on a daily/hourly basis.

Nice, thanks :)

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 15
I use a surge protector to connect all of my components at my computer desk, including LSR305s and Schiit Magni/Modi 2U. I can easily flick the switch on the surge protector with my toe after shutting down my computer, turning off all of the audio gear without having to reach for each of their individual power switches.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 15

looks like it goes to 192k -- better than the 96k with the 2i2.

At the risk of opening up a silly argument, I'll say it anyway. 192k is a waste of hard drive space if you're recording, and irrelevant if you're listening back since nobody records with it anyway. I wouldn't use it to justify a purchase on its own.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 15
  I use a surge protector to connect all of my components at my computer desk, including LSR305s and Schiit Magni/Modi 2U. I can easily flick the switch on the surge protector with my toe after shutting down my computer, turning off all of the audio gear without having to reach for each of their individual power switches.

Not the most elegant solution, but it should do it, nice. Is it safe for the gear? Or is it better to switch off each component individually?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back