I'm a Sennheiser 580, and I feel unloved.
Dec 19, 2001 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

fjhuerta

I gave Jude an Orpheus and all I got was this lousy title.
Hi all. Thank you for coming.

I am a Sennheiser 580, 1998 vintage, and I feel unloved.

Let me explain. My owner says he loves me, but I am not sure about it. He spends his lonely nights with me. He plugs me... into his X-CansV2, and falls asleep.

But he won't buy me the damn blue or red Clou cables! Have I somehow failed him? ((fights back tears)). Everyone in Head-Fi talks about how great I can sound with them, yet he thinks a wire is just a wire! He thinks that people who buy $100 cables would be better off saving the money to buy a new headphone or a new amp! ((sobs)). I want the Red Clou cables! Why is he spending so more money on that bitchy Ety? I am so jealous! I want the....

((Heaphone retired from the stand, choking on her tears)).

(I know, it would have worked better if Pixar had animated this story. But they didn't like the script
rolleyes.gif
)

Dec 19, 2001 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 18
poor hd580
frown.gif

I believe stepping up to the hd600 will give more improvement than buying a cable, but that hd580 deserves one. it's almost Christmas after all.

Dec 19, 2001 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 18
So when's the movie adaptation come out?

Dec 19, 2001 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 18
But, alas, wire isn't wire.

The most important thing is the things actually responsible for making your eardrums vibrate. The 580s do that well. After this the amp driving the drivers. Next the source driving the amp followed by the power supply.

After these three it's a toss-up between the ICs from the source to the amp (this is line-level after all and very sensitive to interference) or the headphone cable. I'd lean more toward the headphone cable as it's also a fairly low-level signal. Of course, the power requirements for the 580s might make the ICs more sensitive to interference.

The real question is would it be worth it to you? That I can't answer but if I had the Etys I would spend the money in the ICs first then, depending on the amp's power supply, the power. If the Ety's weren't in the picture, I'd get the cable assuming the ICs are decent and well-shielded.

As always, just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Dec 20, 2001 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 18
Actually, Moo, it sounds like the 580s need to listen to The Who's Quadrophenia a few times.

Dec 20, 2001 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

I believe stepping up to the hd600 will give more improvement than buying a cable, but that hd580 deserves one.

There was actually a thread about this before, and a couple people said they felt that upgrading the 580 to a Clou was a more significant upgrade than getting a Clou-less 600... I'm still curious to find out!

Dec 20, 2001 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 18
I'm still expecting an Oscar(r) for that story... LOL.

Anyway, the point was... (leather beatings aside... LOL again)... aren't we getting a bit carried away with the Clou cable? How much is it, anyway? And how much more pleasure would you get by buying a new set of headphones or amp?

Dec 21, 2001 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 18
There is a member of my family that thinks I am crazy, because I buy a certain brand of peanut butter. I tell her that I like the way it tastes. She says, "Peanut butter is peanut butter period!" Some people can tell the difference, some people can not.
I think that some people have a better ability to use their senses. Things like sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch sometimes can be highly debateable.
As for cables, I definitely hear differences between them. Especially the Clou Red verses the stock cables.
Some magazines use magic numbers, or percentages to tell you how much you should spend on cables.
The only person that really knows how much to spend is you.
One thing is for sure, the next set of interconnects I buy will cost almost as much as my CD player it self.
Jude, please come help me before everyone thinks I'm crazy.

Dec 21, 2001 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 18
I heard that coating your ICs with peanut butter helps a lot. The dielectric properties of peanut butter make it an excellent insulator and it also sheilds 99% of RF and EMI noise as well as removes all distortion.

Rumor has it this is all the Triphazors are.

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back