I'm a prospective iPodder with questions...
Jun 4, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
I've just been messing around with a water cooled PC using silicon tubing. I can see how it would make a good case, being slightly shock absorbent, translucent and tough - but silicon is slightly sticky and difficult to wipe clean.

The iPod gets warm, sometimes hot during play. Which could explain the dead iPods, since the alot of the cases are tight fitting and heat retaining.

Jun 4, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #17 of 23
With the new firmware 1.1, the iPod shouldn't get hot while playing songs, even if they are large files. But it does get warm while recharging or hot if it's left plugged into the computer (since it recharges and the hard drive is constantly spinning).

Jun 8, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #18 of 23
I recently got an ipod myself (10 gigger for $370, new) and I've been enjoying it quite a lot.

Battery life is a non issue (though anyone know how long lithium polymer batteries last? I know lithium ions don't last forever... and the battery is not replacable), the sound quality is amazing, at least, I was amazed from that headphone jack. Enough to drive my ER4S as well as HD580s, well maybe the 580s. Nice and small, convinent, etc.

Some bitches on it: The back metal part scratches easily and gains fingerprints quite easily, a sleeve or a case is a MUST (I got some sort of fabric sleeve from ebay that looks nice and works well, and has a clip). The unit does get hot on recharging but not while playing.

Oh, also, a portable amplifier will do NOTHING for it, the volume on the ipod will be the same (near max to max) and the sound would mostly be unchanged. Though I don't think it is a problem since the internal jack is pretty good, imo.

Jun 8, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #19 of 23
I tried an Airhead with my iPod. I agree with Chynch. For MP3's it does'nt do much. I did load up the iPod with AIFF files and it did sound better with the amp. $370 great deal.

Jun 8, 2002 at 4:01 PM Post #20 of 23
I actually prefer the sound of my iPod when coupled with a TA. In addition to the amp aspect, there are some jazz tracks I have a hard time listening to without a crossfeed - the channel separation is too distinct.

I do agree that the amplification benefits are limited, though, and I often plug my ER4Ps directly into the iPod's jack.

Jun 8, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
I recently got an ipod myself (10 gigger for $370, new)

Chych, where???

Quote:

Oh, also, a portable amplifier will do NOTHING for it, the volume on the ipod will be the same (near max to max) and the sound would mostly be unchanged. Though I don't think it is a problem since the internal jack is pretty good, imo.

Well, a portable amp won't bypass the headphone jack circuitry, but it will provide two other benefits:

1) Better power for harder-to-drive headphones.
2) Crossfeed.

Those are two big reasons I'd use an amp with the iPod (or any other source without a line out jack).

Jun 10, 2002 at 7:51 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
I recently got an ipod myself (10 gigger for $370, new) and I've been enjoying it quite a lot.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Chych, where???

Am I the only one anxiously waiting a reply from Chych?
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Well, a portable amp won't bypass the headphone jack circuitry, but it will provide two other benefits:

1) Better power for harder-to-drive headphones.
2) Crossfeed.

Those are two big reasons I'd use an amp with the iPod (or any other source without a line out jack).

Yep! I just got a TAH today, and plugged it into the iPod. It drives the HD590 much better. The bass is deeper, the highs aren't so shrill, and the overall sound is smoother. I like it a lot. I'm still trying to figure out what a crossfeed does. I can hear the change in positioning when turned on, but 95% of my music doesn't need it. Best of all, the sound from the HD280 with the TAH is fuller, which has been a complaint with the HD280 with many people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back