I'm a prospective iPodder with questions...
May 29, 2002 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I'm seriously considering the purchase of an iPod; I've found a good deal for a 5 gigger ($295 refurb) and a way to protect against Apple Upgraditis (CompUSA warranty that will let you pay the difference if a new version comes out). Is there anything else I should consider?

And if not, what case do you reccommend? (I heard they scratch if you look at 'em mean...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 29, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 23
It's an excellent mp3 player for both Mac and PC (running some software). Have you considered getting the 10GB instead? Also, there's some Mac World New York convention in July, where they might introduce a new iPod 2 or one with a bigger hard drive. You might want to wait till then if you can, to see what you can get instead. The iPod gets scratched very easily, so a case is a must. I recommend the Groove Jacket with some clear PDA protective film. It's made of thick durable silicone that protects the iPod and preserves the iPod's shape and look. Go to www.ipoding.com forums, and under accessories there's a couple good posts about the Groove Jacket.

May 29, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 23
One cool thing about the iPod (this is probably in those links) is the upgradeable firmware. That way, once lossless formats start to dominate, you can still use your iPod.

May 29, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 23
For the case check-out Headroom's iPod case. Coupled with an Airhead and some etys... Mmmmm.

Though I'd rather have my PJB100 anyday over the iPod I do see the appeal for the iPod.

May 31, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Well, the HR iPod case isn't out yet...

Get a Super Dooper by WaterField Designs instead, very functional, and allows heat to escape from the iPod.

Jun 1, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 23
$100 off retail. That is quite a deal. I love my 10 gigger. I would take it over a Nomad anyday. Yes, I did have a Nomad and didn't care for it.

Jun 2, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 23
The best case by far is the "iPod Silicone Jacket Set" made by Power Support (http://www.pawasupo.co.jp). You can get it imported outside Japan by Macs Only Imports:

http://www.macsonly.com/macimp/ipod.html

I highly recommend this clear silicone iPod cover. I tried a leather one, and it just made the iPod look like PDA; what fun is it if you can't show it off?

Also, the silicone helps you lean the iPod up against a monitor or a dashboard. Without any case or with just a leather case, it's slick as a bar of soap and will go flying all over the place.

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 23
I've just been messing around with a water cooled PC using silicon tubing. I can see how it would make a good case, being slightly shock absorbent, translucent and tough - but silicon is slightly sticky and difficult to wipe clean. Wouldn't you end up with a fur-covered iPod if you put it down on carpet, or even let it get dusty?

(I don't mind mine looking like a PDA. Since it does contacts now, I can do without my iPaq.)

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
And if not, what case do you recommend? (I heard they scratch if you look at 'em mean...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I love my iPod/Ety 4P combo. It's like having a high-end stereo system in my pocket.

I have the Marware case, which hasn't been mentioned in this thread. At about $40, it's expensive, but the features justify the price: nicely crafted neoprene shell, with a cutout for the dial; detachable cover, with a headphone pocket; armband (which I use for running with the iPod); and belt clip.

greg.

Jun 3, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
I've just been messing around with a water cooled PC using silicon tubing. I can see how it would make a good case, being slightly shock absorbent, translucent and tough - but silicon is slightly sticky and difficult to wipe clean. Wouldn't you end up with a fur-covered iPod if you put it down on carpet, or even let it get dusty?

The kind of silicone that this case uses isn't quite as sticky as some other types I've run into; I was also concerned about this, and when I mailed the importer, he said that he wipes his clean once in a while with no problem.

I haven't had to wipe mine clean yet, and I keep it in a satchel bag pocket most of the time.

Jun 3, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 23
When the case feels dirty or gritty from dust, I just wipe it off on my tshirt or jeans or with my sweaty palms. It's not a problem at all. I also used the OWC leather case for a bit, but it didn't offer much protection outside scratch resistance and hid the iPod's elegance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back