I'm a Newbie, just ordered my JH16Pros. Wahoo!! Ummmm, what now??
Jul 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3
Hi, as I mentioned in my heading, I'm new to this, but I feel a bit like Neo in "The Matrix" after waking up to "the real world".  Been using Apple's basic earbuds for years just assuming this is the way audio is, and after a little research, a little direction from educated friends of friends, a little bit of reading here and other websites, I decided to jump into the deep-end and ordered a pair of JH16s.  I'm excited, but realize there's a TON I don't know, and while this site is great, it can be a little bit overwhelming for a newbie.  I'm excited and willing to put in the work to learn, but was looking to get some streamlined direction from a (hopefully) welcoming community.

So, specifically I'm interested in trying to figure out what type of complimentary equipment may be appropriate for my new CIEMs.  I'm planning to use the system primarily with my iPhone 5 (don't laugh...should I be embarrassed??), and have questions about the need of a portable amp.  If so, recommended models to go with the JH16?  What about thoughts on a 3rd party cable, like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon?  Any other brands?  And lastly, I'm thinking about upgrading my source files (right now I use iTunes Match) and I subscribe to Spotify which is great for the wealth of music variety it affords... but as I get into this, I understand there's the world of FLAC and other formats that in my past ignorance, I've been unaware of.  Which format, and why?  I like all modern forms of music (hip hop, rock, alternative, acoustic, classical and jazz, country), in case that dictates what path I should consider.  

I know there's probably posts I can sort through to hear discussions on some of this, but a lot of it seems geared to experienced dialogue rather than folks just getting into this.  I'm hoping I can get some streamlined direction, and make some purchases between now and when my CIEMs get here.  Thanks in advance!!

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 3
hello

I'd say use stock cable (it's good) and the iPhone 5 is also quite good.
no need to worry really. it will sound amazing with that setup.
if you later on feel the need to upgrade, an amp can be nice but I don't think it will do all that much as the iPhone is actually quite decent.

though a recommendation if you do want one: Leckerton UHA-6s MKII, it can connect to the Lightning port of the iPhone if you jailbreak it and get a plugin called "CameraConnector". then you can use the DAC and the amplifier of the Leckerton unit, which is quite a bit better than the iPhone's. but you should see if you can try anything first to make sure you notice enough of a difference.

cables is a different story... most of us don't really think they make a difference at all, but if there is one, it is small. and cables are expensive.

for formats I do like Spotify although where I live now it doesn't work, but I just listen to MP3's and ALAC (Apple's lossless format) on my iPad and find it doesn't make enough of a difference to me.

so all in all, you really have to try these things to make sure they make a difference for you. if it's too hard to tell, it probably isn't worth it. 
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 3
There is an age old debate that will rage on forever in regard to file formats and sonic quality.   Lets avoid that here and instead focus on the facts. Don't worry about power needs, the JH16 runs great off the iPods alone.  But, that quality level is low, dare I say awful for the JH16.  So, upgrade that source first.  If you want a balanced sound signature, pick a source with a great line out function.  The new Fiio X3 is excellent.  If you want some oomph on the low end, take a step down and snag a used Cowon J3 for unrivaled EQ customization.  Balanced cable replacements for the JH16 do help the sound staging qualities a little, its noticeable, but not significantly so.  

I recommend an Amplifier like the Alo MKIII if you don't need a USB Dac, but the International is also great.  I chose unwisely on the ALO International, but at the price I snagged it for used here on Head Fi, I couldn't pass it up.  The USB Dac does not mesh with the JH16 to my ears in the slightest, but the Amplifier section does.  If you go Balanced, it's a pick your poison event.  I say go for the cheapest cables, BTG Audio and Chrishimself at HPL cables are fantastic and offer high quality cables at fractions of what other sellers do.  If you enjoy the low end, stick with a Hybrid or Copper cable.  If you like treble, get a silver cable.  

Beyond that, its all up to you.  You have to enjoy the journey we all take and learn from it.  My personal setup is the JH16pro FreqPhase, Cowon J3, ALO International, HPL Hybrid balanced cable and lastly a moon audio balanced to 3.5mm interconnect.  I recently upgraded from the older JH16 and for the life of me I cannot get the stock JH16pro cable off.  I can't report on how it sounds with a balanced cable, but the older JH16 definitely changed a bit for the better with a balanced setup.  I assume the newer model will also.  Hope that helps!

-Moxxi 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back