I'm a freshman here, and hope somebody can give me some advice
Sep 9, 2013 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

husthn

Head-Fier
I'm a freshman in head-fi, only before several months ago I began to turn myself into HI-FI music, and buy a sennheiser HD219s.
But until now, I can't really how a good head-phone is, I just feel that my HD219s is just similar to my iPhone5 ear-phone.
So I hope to buy a more expensive one within $200. However, without any experience, I just don't know how to select a better one and destinguish the difference.
Hope someone can give me some advices.Thanks!

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 7
always pop music.Thank you
etysmile.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 7
  always pop music.Thank you
etysmile.gif

Yep yep! About 20-30% of my library belongs to Pop xD and I like;
AKG K167 
Shure SRH-840
Grado SR60i 
...for Pop music. It all depends on what you like as they are three different headphone [and I like each and every of it for Pop]. The AKG k167 has a forward mind, Shure SRH-840 for its neutral sound + the Shure's creamy maids. I like Grado's everything but the comfort... Clamping force may be big at first but other than that, it has nice, tight bass but not as deep, vivid mids [I love mids! Hehe ] and the bright highs makes music stands out nicely. The Grados are more colored sounding thought

Hope it helps!
Billson :D

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 7
  I'm a freshman in head-fi, only before several months ago I began to turn myself into HI-FI music, and buy a sennheiser HD219s.
But until now, I can't really how a good head-phone is, I just feel that my HD219s is just similar to my iPhone5 ear-phone.
So I hope to buy a more expensive one within $200. However, without any experience, I just don't know how to select a better one and destinguish the difference.
Hope someone can give me some advices.Thanks!

Heya,

The first step to realizing with your ears, a higher fidelity sound, to help know it's worth getting more expensive equipment for rendering music, is to seek out higher quality recorded & mastered music. That means using lossless quality audio when able, and seeking out specifically higher quality recordings and albums with better mastering, etc. It's amazing that something straight from a CD can sound so bad sometimes, but that's because it's poorly recorded and/or poorly mastered, and just isn't high quality even though it's lossless and straight from source. My point is that not every album is equal in quality. You have to pick and choose selectively for albums that are high quality in every aspect, that you enjoy listening to. It takes a while to find enough albums that truly are well done, to build a large library of it. This is the first and most critical step if you want high fidelity sound and want to be able to appreciate expensive equipment that renders audio. Because garbage in, garbage out, heavily applies here. If the album is poor, if the recordings are poor, it will sound poor, no matter what awesome set of audio devices you pass it through. So you have to start with something very high quality, for it to be realized.

From there, a decent pair of headphones and a simple but clean DAC/AMP to pair it will will do the job very well.

Closed headphone options:

Shure SRH840
Brainwavz HM5
SoundMAGIC HP100
Nuforce HP800
AKG K550 / AKG K271 MKII / AKG K272 HD / AKG K167
AudioTechnica A900X

Open headphone options:

AKG K240 MKII
AudioTechnica AD900X
Beyer DT880 PRO
Sennheiser HD558 / Sennheiser HD598
Philips Fidelio X1

Some basic dac/amp options:

Fiio E10 (home use only with USB)
Fiio E07k or E17 (home and portable use, with USB)

Very best,

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 7
@BillsonChang007

Thank you very much for your valuable advice.
     Grado SR-60i looks great for me. But whether the ear cushion kit should be the style of Beats Solo HD or the style of Grado SR-60i? Actually, I likes using my earphone outside, that's to say, which style is better for mobile?
     Hoping for your more advices, thank you!

Best Regards

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 7
@BillsonChang007

Thank you very much for your valuable advice.
     Grado SR-60i looks great for me. But whether the ear cushion kit should be the style of Beats Solo HD or the style of Grado SR-60i? Actually, I likes using my earphone outside, that's to say, which style is better for mobile?
     Hoping for your more advices, thank you!

Best Regards

The Grado SR-60i are open so if you planning to use the headphone outdoor, I'll say avoid it as it isolates 0 sound and sound from the outside comes in 100% :)

That left you with AKG K167 and SRH-840! Depends on what you like. If you are more interested in Grado's sound... The AKG K167 have a vivid mids but really, nothing gets close to Grado sound signature.. Nothing at all! They are uniqueeeeee

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back