I'm a basshead
Jul 10, 2006 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
And my Energy C-3 bookshelfs are not cutting it. I think I have a panasonic A53R amp. But there is basically no bass extension.

Do you think it's worth trying to integrate a sub, or getting some more serious floorstanding speakers?

Jul 10, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 6
they say the hardest step is to admit your problem, after that it gets easy . . . .
biggrin.gif

some do not like subs, but I think they can work wonders and sound good if nicely matched and not overdone

oh and did I mention that they are easier to integrate into the decor than large speakers
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 6
AV123 has a speaker coming later this year called the Onix X-PLS. It's basically an MTM (two midbasses and a tweeter) speaker with a sub and a passive radiator built into the lower part of the speaker. MLS has been saying that the tower itself will produce enough bass without really needing a sub. They're supposed to retail for $599 when they debut, which is a steal for powered towers in that class.

Otherwise, you could add a beefy sub, but a good, chest pounding sub costs some good money. SVS has some pretty serious cylinder subs that really do the trick, but they start out at roughly $550.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Speaking as someone who had two REL subwoofers in my audio set up I’d say forget the floor standing speakers and get a sub. If you still want bookshelf speakers then try any of the Dynaudio range. Small, neat and they thump like mad.

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 6
buy a sub!

HSU STF-1 is a good sub, and on a lower budget the Dayton 12" from partsexpress.com is also a key player.

In the higher budgets, SVS is always a great option, one I'd highly recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back