iLounge First Look: Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 Earphones
Sep 28, 2006 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
I hope this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...efi-earphones/

If you've been following the leaks on Ultimate Ears' famous XXX (triple-X) headphones, you'll want to read this - the first actual shots and details on the finished product, recently renamed "triple.fi" to avoid search term confusion. Promising to deliver the same top-of-line audio quality as the company's vaunted UE-10 Pros, but in a universal ear casing that doesn't require custom fitting, the triple.fi 10 earphones use a similar triple-driver design to what was found in the $900 UE-10s (and Shure's recent, excellent $500 E500 series earbuds), but with several tweaks. Ultimate's take includes cords that have memory portions at their tops, for less slippage out of your ears during listening, blue bodies rather than Shure's copper brown, and audio quality the company claims is the best available at its sub-E500 price point. More details to come, soon.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 11
interesting it's coming out of iLounge first... (ooh, ubiquitious colour matching there...
rolleyes.gif
)

did any previous UE phones have bi-flanges? and i gotta agree w/ Dane, it's big. i dont know how far you're gonna get that in your ear canal...

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 11
Looks-wise I like them more than E500, but be careful going through any narrow doorways!

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille
did any previous UE phones have bi-flanges?

I don't know about their other products but all SF5Ps come with bi-flanges.

The Color sheme is superb,I would need a another DAP to match that IEM though.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 11
yep the super.fi's did come with biflanges.

BUT the updated version (glossy version, new cable, crack resistant body) seems to have dropped the biflanges as well as the leather case and no spool inside the metal case.

also, when is UE going to have the super.fi's in color?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994 in February, 2006
Just got off the phone a with Mike Dias from UE. The new triple driver IEM due out in June has been designated: Super.Fi XXX (read: triple X).

One of the things he wanted to clarify was that this product is not made in response to the E500. They've been working on this unit for quite some time. I myself started hearing hints about it several months ago. According to Mike, this product is just the natural evolution of the Super.Fi line. He also mentioned that they felt it was unfair for the average consumer to have to pay $900 to get into the performance range of the UE-10, which commands such a price because of it's customized nature.

We talked for a little while about the sound of the XXX, but Mike was hesitant to give many specifics as they are still trying to nail down the final sound. He did mention an increase in clarity over the 5 Pro through the entire range. He also stated that the bass would be similar in quantity to the UE-10. According to Mike the XXX is meant to be a reference grade unit with very flat response that will give you back whatever you put into it. However, he insisted that it would not sound just like the UE-10, and that people who wanted the sound/flavor (as well as comfort and look) of the UE-10 would still have to get the UE-10. He also mentioned that it would be able to extend slightly beyond 16kHz. He stressed on several occasions that the goal was to offer different sound flavors throughout their line. Apparently the new XXX will stress musicality more than the UE-10.

I also asked Mike about the housing of the new XXX. He said it would be very similar to the 5 Pro and 3 Studio, but that there will be limited edition runs in various colors taking advantage of their new sputter process. Sputter is a process that bonds metallic ions to the plastic. The sputter look will also be available on existing Super.Fi products (see pictures below). For now the only color they've done is a candy apple red, but Mike mentioned that they would be making a black and pearl white and that they could do just about any color they wanted (I told him cobalt blue would be very cool, but then again, maybe I would want XXXs in red
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Also to be introduced is a thicker cord that will work on any product in the Super.Fi line.

UE_SF5P_with_sputter.jpg

http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...=8152&size=big

ultimate_ears_rap_up_Winter_Issue.jpg

ultimate_ears_rap_up_Winter_Issue_2.jpg

due out in June! haha, maybe they'll be out by the end of the year!

also:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2019008,00.asp

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCMag
The president of Ultimate Ears, Mindy Harvey, dropped by my office recently to show off the company's new triple-driver consumer headphones, which compete directly with Shure's E500PTH earphones. The goal was basically to bring the quality of Ultimate Ears' professional custom-molded studio reference monitors like the $900 UE-10 Pro to the consumer market by offering a universal fit and a more affordable price of $399 (direct).
ADVERTISEMENT

The triple.fi 10 Pro earphones look very similar to the members of the super.fi line (the 5Pro and 3Studio), but they've got a slightly bigger bulge to accommodate three balanced-armature microspeakers in each earphone. Two low-frequency drivers pump out the bass and mids through one hole of the "pig snout" tube that goes into your ear canal, while the same high-frequency driver used in the top-end UE-10 Pro reproduces the upper mids and highs via the tube's other hole.

The headphones are noise isolating and come with a fit kit comprising four sets of silicone tips and one set of foam tips, as well as a cleaning tool, attenuator, ¼-inch adapter, and protective hard case. Flexible ear loops keep the headphones securely attached to your ears.

0,1425,sz=1&i=140582,00.jpg

and lastly:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200073
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200510
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200577

i guess i'm kinda late
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
How much will this protrude out of one's ear though. My main quarrel with IEM's is not being able to lie down on my side with them on.

I can't speak for everyone but with the reverse mod I can sleep with mine.my main concern with the SF5Ps are the isolation though...I doubt the Triple.fi will fix that issue which would probably be the reason I don't purchase one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back