I'll take the criticism if I deserve it!!!
Jan 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #31 of 72
I have over 2,000 songs that I did not pay for. If anyone has a problem with that, please PM me and call my mom.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who criticizes the OP for what he did is just supporting the talking points of the RIAA goons. The RIAA are not the artists, they are the greedy corporate hounds who are responsible for the lack of quality music out there these days.

No, anyone who criticizes the OP for what he did is supporting the talking points of the rule of law and the cornerstone principles of a democratic society.

I don't like RIAA, I don't like DRM, I don't like that artists often don't get a fair return on their creativity. That doesn't give me the right to break the law. It does give me the right to support alternative (legal) distribution channels, to speak up and try to influence copyright legislation, to exercise my fair use rights, to advocate for change.

--Chris

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, anyone who criticizes the OP for what he did is supporting the talking points of the rule of law and the cornerstone principles of a democratic society.

I don't like RIAA, I don't like DRM, I don't like that artists often don't get a fair return on their creativity.

You think the RIAA represents the cornerstone principles of a democratic society? You contradict yourself in your own post. If you actually do care about music, and care about how artists don't get a fair return, then you should stand up to unjust laws and the status quo... there is something called civil disobedience and there are some famous individuals who bettered society through it.

Face it, you know the music industry would be many times better off without corporate trade groups like the RIAA... which stifle creativity and produce crap into the mainstream media to push for profits. I pledged a long while ago to boycott the RIAA by refusing to buy their albums, which does include all the big record labels, but I'm just doing my share to try to hurt them as much as I can. I'm fighting against the money-hoarding businessmen behind their gold-plated desks much more than I am against the artists... since artists don't see much profit from record sales anyway. But the truth is the artists who ally up with the RIAA are generally the ones who are scum anyway. An intolerable amount of crap is pushed into mainstream music today, and they're partly to blame, aside from the labels that push them, since they steal the spotlight from the ones who are actually talented. You want to really support an artist? Go see their live concerts and buy merchandise from their online stores. But don't think for a moment that by going out to buy all your RIAA-stamped CDs that you're doing a great service for democracy; in fact, you're doing quite the opposite. You're supporting corporatism and its ever-tightening grip around the rights of the people.

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #36 of 72
You have done nothing wrong at all. I have done the exact same thing time and time again, and I also fully admit to allowing my friends full access to my computer to take whatever music they want from my iTunes library and putting it on their iPods, and I have done the same with their libraries. I'm sure this would be an issue in the US, but since December 2004 peer-to-peer sharing of copyrighted works is A-OK in Canada. The record industry has definitely got my dime, I do not lose sleep over it.

Jan 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taping something from the TV onto VHS is illegal but it didn't stop everyone from doing it.

In Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984), the United States Supreme Court held that making of individual copies of complete television shows for purposes of time-shifting does not constitute copyright infringement, but is fair use under Section 107 of the Copyright Act.

I'm not aware of any court in the United States that has ever held that copying a CD and then selling it is a fair use.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #40 of 72
I am quite sure you have illegal music on your computer.
Cause by selling the CD's you also sold the rights to use the CD's content.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who criticizes the OP for what he did is just supporting the talking points of the RIAA goons. The RIAA are not the artists, they are the greedy corporate hounds who are responsible for the lack of quality music out there these days.

Fine. The just do it and keep it to yourself.

I criticize OP for doing it, THEN post the LAME justification.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #43 of 72
Once you bought the media, you own "your copy" of the music. At least this is the case up until such time as the latest RIAA brain fart becomes law, if it does. Making a safety copy seems perfectly sensible, and if you keep the receipts for your purchases, I can't see how any legal case could be made against you.

If we want to talk about ethics, let's take a look at how RIAA member labels treat their artists. Most artists have to put up all the risk and capital to produce a CD nowadays. Then forfeit the publishing rights to a company trying to distribute music on a 1952 business model. There's nothing in it for them. Personally, I want to support the artists. Ask your favorite artists what to do, if they're honest they will likely say "buy our merchandise and concert tickets".

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you bought the media, you own "your copy" of the music.

It would be more accurate if you said, "as long as you own the media, you own 'your copy' of the music."

Quote:

Making a safety copy seems perfectly sensible, and if you keep the receipts for your purchases, I can't see how any legal case could be made against you.

Because section 106 of the Copyright Act gives the copyright holder the exclusive right "to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords." There are certain limitations to that exclusive right, including the right of fair use as set forth in section 107 of the Act, but making a copy and then selling the original, as far as I am aware, has never been held to be fair use.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #45 of 72
wambulance5fw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back