ikosters thread
May 17, 2022 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ikoster

100+ Head-Fier
Hi and Welcome,

This will be my exclusive thread where I will be posting everything I will be doing with my current and future iems, amps, posting pictures of my gear, maybe also some lunatic mumbles too (lets hope it does not come to that too much but might happen and it probably will) etc.
I want to have it all in one place.
Lets start then.

Today I digged out my ancient clip+ that was sitting untouched and forgotten since like 2014 when I last recharged it only to find that it had battery level after all these years at 68 percent. Had to look for an SD card and found one 16gb reformatted it copied three albums in there and listened to it with my 272s on a clip+ only to find that this ancient rig of mine is still absolute bliss listening to Buena Vista Social Club album from 1997 (FLAC ofc). 90s were the absolute best time for music imo.

Oh boy what I was hearing I believe could not get any better in that first song called Chan Chan there is quite a lot of wood sticks banging with other sticks and the overall tonality presented is incredible lively engaging musical and many other similar words that I will not write down but after many years of break that I took from listening to any music at all with occasional few times a year listens I am back at it.

If there was the possibility to choose only one iem that I could or should own in the world the 272s are it. I am sooooo obsessed by them that its not even funny, maybe it is :)

I need a time machine to go back and buy at least another 2 pairs and few more clips+ too..
Anyone got one? :)

Anyway ER4-XR should be here tomo and will do initial out of the box quick testing on them so expect some more mumble and "wanna-be reviews"

I am actually surprised that clip+ still works fine except right channel is loosing signal when I move iems 3.5 jack around a bit but when it sits untouched it plays without problems and there is no right channel disconnects I know its time to look for another portable dap but already spent like 600 euros in the last week on iems plus one impulsive purchase of cheap native instruments external sound interface.

So my next purchase will be portable dap and maybe an amp just for etys and maybe GR01.
After using stepdance with 272s I found myself liking the sound straight from clip+ better than clip+/stepdance/re-272 and sold the stepdance long time ago, think I am done with purchasing iems for a while now with etys, GR01 and my ancient 272s. I don't think I need/could use more iems anyway.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 9
So after etys ER4-XRs arrived today I cant help it and absolutely have to/must post this tiny little impressions you can also take this as my wanna-be review too this is probably it I may add more with time still very soon few hours maybe 7 on them and they sounded perfect out of the box with clip+

---
This box was assembled in 2018 in Naam.
I achieved perfect fit upon picking them out on first try with tips that were already attached on them from the factory. First thing that came to my mind after few seconds hearing them was:

Hmm this is interesting these sound very similar to my 272s very similar tonality and soundstage and hit but then second thing that came to my mind was waaaaaait a minute . . .

What is going on with those instruments that I hear?

Sound is presented with incredible detail, clarity and separation in both layers and instruments third thing that came up was
So this is how true high end iems sound everything is just so much more refined and taken step above 272s how big a step above? I have no idea but twice at least and maybe(probably for sure) more...

With Etys the sound tonality is very similar bright and fast as 272s but with 272s its like everything is blended together in one row.. less detail or the detail is lost because everything is blended together who knows...
With Etys there is a row but you can pinpoint each seat and focus on whatever seat separately and there are empty seats to left and right of every seat where each instrument sits and not just the whole row with all the seats perceived at once (this is not a bad thing with 272s its just a different not better or worse it just gives different - perception/presentation).

Bass: So now they have really strong controlled bass (similar tonally sounding to 272s but intensity lacks to Etys) I was not expecting this but I like what I hear very very much from Etys. Bass could be really intense, liquid and hitting too when presented in recording.

Mids are just incredible its like sound of an angle grinder cutting some steel pipes in terms of intensity not the actual sound very intense and liquid as listening to Oasis - Morning glory those guitar riffs are this intensity I love it!

Highs are fantastic clear, soft, refined and bright :)

TLDR:
RE-272 much less intensity, refinement and detail among other things are the main difference between these two IMO.
They are tonally very similar to each other but Etys are looking down at 272s from high above the clouds in the stratospheric regions.

---

I better not be posting some pics taken with mobile right? So no pics added this time.

I will look for my old nx100 camera and its charger and try it if it still works tomo and take a few pics and post them...

Funny thing near the end of this post:

Gr01 are still in the unopened cardboard box as it came in today with ups.
Haven't even bothered opening the box and taking them out I am not even curious
I now have what I need. How sad for them gr01s... like really lol!

I will be sending gr01 back and save those funds and get a portable dap i really dont see any reason to have third iem that I will not use at all. I highly doubt gr01s are even close to Etys.

Last thing as listening to etys right now track "Mami Me Gusto live version" by Buena Vista
I am in there!!!
I HEAR screaming crowds I am standing on the podium next to the band! these are absolute incredible sounding iems and I know now I am in love with Etys!

I need a new portable dap.

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 9
I took a few pics with my old nx100 its still working so here you go...
er4xrcase.JPG

er4xr.JPG

er4xrgraph.JPG

and my old RE-272s with the ghetto fix as mentioned in my first ever post in the introduction thread
re272.JPG

May 20, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Think I must have lost my mind completely...

because today I finally decided on and ordered my portable dap that will replace clip+ and it is:

Astel&Kern SR25 MKII (its 2nd version with some improvements to 1st one they say...)

I have not paid this much for an audio equipment in my whole life
(it was 850 euro) OMG I still cant believe what I have done :)

It should be here next week...

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Since my mind was already lost why not to go ahead and order some more like:

Etymotic 2.5 mm original cable to compare SR25 MKIIs 3.5 single ended vs 2.5 balanced outputs and while I was at it I got myself a nice case for SR25s too. It deserves to be safe!

(I wanted to go for the AK PEP11 4.4 cable at first but that decision was replaced by Etys 2.5mm one with a BIG help from another fellow member here BIG THANKS GOES TO rlw6534 for help and if I will have/feel a need (after listening to 3.5 vs 2.5 outputs) to get that 4.4 AK cable or some similar 4.4 in the future I will be able to compare all 3 outputs on SR25 MKIIs.

But I think I am done with these purchases for now since I have depleted a lot of funds already...

It all started with that "innocent" ER4-XR purchase and then it went a little bit too far :)

But Etys deserve much better than a clip+ with depleted/old battery! (it currently lasts approximately 1h30m with full charge after all these years)

I had three clip+ units and this one was the first one purchased at the same time as my 272s were back in 2010 and it over lived the other two mostly due to broken on/off button and its plastic ladder mechanism (hidden inside under the on/off button) that broke/snap into two pieces.

With a little luck everything that was ordered should come in together (SR25 MKIIs, 2.5mm Etys cable and the case) and I will be able to do little out of the box initial impressions in a few days...

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 9
Got the SR25 MKII 8 hours ago and what can I say?

Now this is SOMETHING ELSE!!!
Yes that previous sentence deserves three !s :)

First thing that came up upon listening to Radiohead - 15 steps that middle center dnb line it is so precisely and perfectly placed into center of my brain how could this be placed so precisely in the center and that punch full of energy this is new to me this is high-end :)

initial impressions from SR25 MKII:
The INCREDIBLE PRECISE PLACEMENT of each and single instrument and each single layer (tonality expression nuances are there - experiencing this all the time) together with incredible level of detail, clarity and level of layer separation in all and EVERYTHING OUT THERE is microns/NASA like precise and everything all that is full body sounding (fluid and liquid) FLOWING into to my ears from the Etys :)
I would describe this sound also SYMPHONIC AND GRAND.

My etys shine with SR25 MKII. And this is with 3.5 out. Eveything is stock setting I am listening at 121-124 volume level (gain is off) and that volume level is enough/sufficient for me.

I am hearing/discovering layers and tone nuances that were NON existent/absent/unrevealed with clip+. What I mean is I dont have to even try to discover anything... it is there fully revealed and presented with silly ease like if SR25 MKII is an epicly talented musician performing jaw dropping/unbelievable performance acts in an easy playfull childish silly manner. Like if he is making "s h it" look easy as if its just some child play without trying he dont have to make/prove anything it is just in there out in the open :)

Really clip+ cannot be compared to SR25 MKII or it would be like trying to compare some cheap old car to a lambo or mercedes S class or comparing crap hospital food to michelin star restaurant food you can do that but that would be so obvious (not even funny?).

I will try 2.5 out after 500+ hours but first I want to know 3.5 output from SR 25II Intimately :) - to be able to to say what is the difference between 3.5/2.5 out properly when the time come.

I hear subtle insinuations that there might and probably will be even more nuances revealed with time (burn-in).

The SR25 MKII are worth every cent of that ridiculous (for me) price of 850 euro.

Happy camper here :)

SR25MKII.JPG

cablewillhavetowaitabit.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Just a little update after I got the ER4-SRs.

I first tried them out of 3.5 out on my SR25 MKII but it was meh and bizarre experience.
(all I was hearing were harsh bright sounds and some of them were hurting my eardrums they were like some machine artificial amplified sounds to the point of twisted noise brightened like those sound alarms that make you run away type of sounds ( I know no one believes this but go and try it is all I can say ). I was really considering sending them back because everything was just wrong ill sounding!
Now I know they were under powered or whatever because they were just incredibly hash-bright and harsh-flat unnatural and unmusical or anti musical is better term sounding to me.

But the 2.5 balanced cable and 2.5 out combination made all the difference in the world! (Nothing new for the experienced folks here but for me as for a noob it was something new to find out).

Now my ER4-XR are retired and I can't even get myself to listen to them anymore (I tried it but nope.) because there is just too much bass and bass bleeding compared to the SRs. The SRs have none bass bleed and I would say the bass is at least 60-70 percent of that XRs bass (its higher quality texturized bass too) but its not interacting with midrange at all it just lives happily with the rest of the spectrum in perfect harmony and synergy. I know its that brightness tamed by the more juice in the 2.5 out! :)

I really don't know what to do with the XRs. I don't want to sell them under priced. They will just sit in the box until the end of the world - unused :frowning2:

I take this as a cost of finding the perfect iems for me - nothing is for free.

For me the SRs are the best iems in the universe!
And there is no need for me to look for anything else I am done with finding any other iems THE END.

I will be getting second backup pair of SRs just in case something happens to the current one. I know I am crazy but I don't care.

Currently I am waiting for the AK HC2 USB-C Dual DAC Cable to be available but it is still on pre-order...
I will be using 4.4 to 2.5 adapter with it.

--
Lately I was thinking about the battery in my SR25 MKII and got depressed a bit because it wont last lets say for 10 years those li-pol batteries start to degrade/age the moment they are manufactured.
Now I am not letting the battery to go under 40 percent and charging it to 90 instead of 100 but... still depressed about that but then - think about folks that lived 100 years ago they had nothing of that we have now... even roads were just a mud... walls inside houses looked like crap etc. but enough of that!

I will try to compare that dac to the SR25 MKII after I will have it.
Maybe my expectations are too high already :)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 9
Hmm... after I got depressed and that depression lasted and lasted haha! about realization that SR25 MKII battery will not last 10 years I had to get something ASAP! that is NOT battery based and to have another option after that happens (I know that there is theoretical possibility of battery replacement for the SR25 MKII but like is that guaranteed 100 percent etc? so then I panicked and got to looking for something with no battery) it went very fast from there as usual in my case :)

I decided to get my first ever desktop dac/amp so the FiiO K9 Pro ESS is on the way! And should be here next week together with Astell&Kern - PEP11 4.4mm MMCX cable for my ER4-SR.

And while I was at it got myself second backup pair! of the ER4-SRs with another 2.5 spare balanced cable just in case so I can better sleep at night :)

Another 1400 eur burned. Is there even point for me to comment on this? It was expected to spend a lot of cash after joining this forums no surprises there.

I will try to do a SQ comparison to the SR25 MKII ... lets hope that balanced out on FiiO is comparable.

We will see ... soon.

p.s. I was even thinking about getting another SR25 MKII and to store it in the fridge at 6C and recharging it every three months to 50 percent but that would be a bit crazy but I would do it!

But then I decided to rather not :)

Jun 25, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Today my re-272s that were sleeping forgotten in the riva case got paired with the SR25-MKII for the first time from the day etys arrived!
I was tendentious to insert them just as etys with triflanges at first Look in what state I was left and how I was ruined by etys :)
Who would not be after two weeks straight with etys and just etys...

This is something I know and I realized that I love that dynamic sound so much (it is more outside head for a change much better more enjoyable more closer to the heart)

Omg I still love my re-272s :)

Yes I got tired of etys today for the first time (I have been listening to them exclusively)

I did good to unpack them... and to try them with my new player
<Victorious music plays> !

I just love that I hear the music outside my head now mainly

this combination is: Bright (I mean the SR25MKII is bright sounding on them) there is less detail those absolute ety details are hidden in that lovely dynamic punch type sound at the edge of soundstage (hearing) they are hiding there unrevealed but still there but that is their place with the re-272s but this is still plenty detail I don't miss more details had enough of that haha and the tonality is just my thing on them its more smooth not that intense and machine precise

Hm maybe the FiiO K9 will smooth-en out the etys at least that would maybe be interesting...

I absolutely love this!
sorry 272s that I left you in that case for so long...

Its a nice welcomed change 272s never sounded that good on clip+ the old poor battery degraded but there are some clips on ebay still right shush - never step into the same sh ehm river again!

This is more enjoyable experience I don't miss those absolute details
I am just enjoying music man these are the true legend no doubt whatsoever.

RE-272 are Legendary
(now on SR25-MKII I know why!)

I must say that I am looking into other iems and such than just etys from now on...
How unexpected and surprising not but just into few I will be looking is my excuse.
I will post a few photos of the first SRs and the 2nd SRs pair.
I am intrested in the graph comparison etc. side by side graph to graph :)
Very soon hopefully.

Going into the 272 season surely its like coming back home but better than ever I have no choice its the 272s they are here to stay btw
I have made ear impressions have made but they are from like 10years ago ...
I doubt that my ears growed bigger from then
I will try them on maybe
They are for the 272s prepared and waiting getting replacement cable on that then going into cables lots of fun and funds and fun maybe?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back