IIEM rec to replace Shure E2C, budget to £80
Jan 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

oktapod

Head-Fier
Hi folks.

My Shure E2Cs, which I've been using for four years now, have recently started to perish at the point where the cable bends around the ear, resulting in exposed copper wires which started to oxidise, turning my ears green
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation for a comfortable IEM with sound quality in the same ballpark or better, decent bass (E2Cs could be a bit thin sometimes) and easy to drive directly from any iPod or iPhone.

My budget is approximately £80 and I'd buy another set of SHures but I am now unsure as to their longevity (I always looked after my pair so to have them fail in this way, without abuse, is a disappointment).

ta!

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey, green ears!
biggrin.gif

I've just got some Atrio M5s from Hand Held Audio and they're great so far. Really chunky bass. I've not listened to the E2C though so not sure how the signatures compare. The Atrios are suppose do be a bit dark sounding but very good for electronic stuff.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Seconding the Atrio M5s. Otherwise look at Klipsch S4 or RE0s

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 6
I think Head-Direct/Hifiman RE0 and the Fiio amp combo would be good. It's 79.99 USD and with a 10 dollar shipping worldwide.

The RE0 sounds perfectly fine by my standards, but many people seem to find them very bass lacking. By adding the fiio amp, it should bring out the low frequencies a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back