iHP firmware update schedule (gapless, On-the-fly Playlist, O-t-f File Delete ect!
Apr 8, 2004 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ProFingerSk8er

Headphoneus Supremus
finally!

On-the-fly File Delete and Real Shuffle Mode will come at May, On-the-fly Playlist and Gapless Playback comes June...

is iriver actually listing
eek.gif
maybe it's the new logo..
lol

http://www.iriver.com/community/notice_view.asp?idx=31

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 19
Not only that, but they've also started selling IHP cases in the accessory section..and get this....The 140 case is finally black ! $24 for the black 140 case, and $20 for the 120 case (also black). The 140 case has a belt clip and the 120 has the loop. I may just buy a 140 case for my 120 now...
Oh, and I think the car power adapter is new too.

see here

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 19
With this new update I have a feeling the startup time is going to get quicker... or I shall say "hope".

Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
i want to send back my brown case for a black one

are all the 140's now getting the brown leather case treatment or where u just really unlucky austonia? I was wondering cause i am planning to replace my ihp-100 for the 140 and a brown case would be a quite a downer.

Apr 8, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 19
See! It looks like everyone might be happy now; even Austin!!!
280smile.gif

[size=small](Somebody get that boy a Black Case for his iHP-140!)[/size]

Why would iRiver have brown cases anyway?

.....so 'gapless' would indicate to me (anyway), a seamless recording of a live album to the unit. That would be great, since I do have some live albums, I would like to have on my iHP-120.

With all this going on; iRiver is going to make about every portable listener happy!

280smile.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by sanity8me
are all the 140's now getting the brown leather case treatment or where u just really unlucky austonia? I was wondering cause i am planning to replace my ihp-100 for the 140 and a brown case would be a quite a downer.

no idea. good to hear I'm not the only who thought a BROWN case really sucks matched up to an ALL BLACK player & remote.

It's like wearing a tux with brown shoes. dumb.

Apr 8, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by AGR
See! It looks like everyone might be happy now; even Austin

heh.. while the new features are welcome, it's the little things I'd like to see corrected first.

1) constant hard disk spinup correcte
2) 52-character limit on db scans removed
3) file icon moved/removedin folder view
4) smaller font available
5) play/pause and stop buttons function normally in folder view

these make me go, What??? why was this not addressed in the initial release, much less the subsequent firmware loads? the screen, nice as it is, is totally wasted (during browsing) on bad GUI implementation.

Apr 8, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 19
Quite right Austin, quite right. I'd also like to add:

1) A real working Data base (support for all featured formats)

2) Being able to use the A/B button to return to playing now screen from anywhere in the subset (except for when a song is highlited because this queues a song)

3) When in the menu system, being able to push the nubbin left AND right to get into a sub section, as you would when navigating folders. As of now you can only exit out of sub sections by pressing left, but have to press nubbin IN to get to feature.

4) No time or size limiter on the record feature.

And to the person above who is 'hoping' that this latest firmware will somehow lessen the start up time, I doubt it. None of the mentioned updates have anything to do with start up time. They're going to have to veer away from FAT 32 in order to change this (I think) or invent a new folder system...I doubt it's going to happen this time around. But we should definitely push this on them.

Seems that they only respond to pushing and shoving anyway.

Apr 8, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
And to the person above who is 'hoping' that this latest firmware will somehow lessen the start up time, I doubt it. None of the mentioned updates have anything to do with start up time. They're going to have to veer away from FAT 32 in order to change this (I think) or invent a new folder system..

Now you see why several players use thier own file systems .... Creative... Rio....

or never shut off at alll.... APPLE..
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 19
Proprietary file system is one thing, and that I can dig. But that 'sleep' thing just doesn't wash with me. Must be that whole battery life thing for me I guess. How long does the iPod take to boot from a totally off state anyway ?

Apr 8, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Proprietary file system is one thing, and that I can dig. But that 'sleep' thing just doesn't wash with me. Must be that whole battery life thing for me I guess. How long does the iPod take to boot from a totally off state anyway ?

that was my point - it avoids a bootup sequence at all times by staying in sleep mode. except, when the battery is completely drained, then recharged, and turned on. then it takes a few more seconds to start. nothing significant. certainly not worth justifying the eternal sleep mode, for sure. At least, users should have the option of a true off-mode.

Apr 8, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 19
I've always wondered about complaints regarding gapless playback. My archos has always initiated the next song as soon as the current song ends. It seems fairly instantaneous to me.

Often times, sequential recording files will transition with me not noticing a pause at all (though sometimes I will hear a very quick break in the continuity of the note or crowd applause though the sound continues throughout). I'm assuming from everyone's comments that this is not how it usually is with other players? How much gap is there between songs on your player?

I've only used an archos and an ipod..and to be honest I never paid enough attention to gaps between songs on the ipod....they may have been there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back