iHP and SRS/WOW - Does anyone use it? And how?
May 19, 2004 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drssyoon

100+ Head-Fier
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the SRS to sound acceptable. TruBass EQs up the bass (is that all?) and WOW seems to be a combination of the two, but they seem to have a lot of artifact on certain tracks. Kind of swirling phasing on higher freqs. Is there a magic secret to getting these to sound right? What do people use on their iHPs? Thanks.

/S/

May 19, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 5
I have found only ONE acceptable use for the SRS effects, which is the user customizeable setting, used with tracks which are more or less mono, such as old jazz live recordings. Works ok on my Benny Goodman, or WW2 ragitme music etc...gives the spacial effect. With anything else though, it sounds like utter schlitt, and I'd never use it. Gimicky is definitely the word. The WOW and basss stuff is just the most horrendous sounding crap ever.

May 19, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 5
on media player 9 i use a combination of eq, true bass and wow as lower settings while listening to streaming radio (kexp). since i listen at VERY low volume, the srs acts as an adjustable loudness. the sample errors (pops and static) are there no matter what setting i use, and if you are listening to low bitrates the "swirling" sound you hear is most likely digital artifacting from the encoder.

May 19, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I first thought that the swirling was due to the encoder - but I use what most people say is the best encoder and setting combination - LAME with -aps. Anyway, iHP lets you play around with the setting, so I will try different combinations and see if there is a "magic" setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back