IHp-140 amp recommendations
Aug 16, 2004 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers

I have bought the IHP-140 recently and am looking for an amp.
My criteria are something around a 100-150 bucks. the output should be silent with no music playing and it should basically amplify the signal without adding too much to it.
I am looking at driving a HD 25-1 out of it.
Could you guys also recommend a bag for all this stuff, something that could hold the IHP, amp, headphones, and a few spare batteries.

Please don't recommend something that is too expensive (SR-71)
I know it is good but I would prefer something using AA batteries .
I will be using NI-MH rechargeables with it.

Then again if you think that there is an amp out ther with 9V batteries that runs for long periods of time, then please do suggest them

Regards
Kunwar

Aug 17, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 10
I own a IHP-140 and a set of HD25-1, and you seriously don't need an amp to drive them. One of the main benefits of the HD25-1 outside of their sonics/isolation is the fact that they are easy to drive.

Amping the combo does make it slightly better, but I rarely ever do it since the the sonic benefits are so small compared to dragging around an extra box and mini-mini cable. The setup just becomes so much less portable...

Try without the amp first, and if you really find the sound lacking, then save up for a SR-71 or something. IMHO those $100 bucks are better spent expanding your record collection instead...

/Q

Aug 17, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quoth
I own a IHP-140 and a set of HD25-1, and you seriously don't need an amp to drive them. One of the main benefits of the HD25-1 outside of their sonics/isolation is the fact that they are easy to drive.

Amping the combo does make it slightly better, but I rarely ever do it since the the sonic benefits are so small compared to dragging around an extra box and mini-mini cable. The setup just becomes so much less portable...

Try without the amp first, and if you really find the sound lacking, then save up for a SR-71 or something. IMHO those $100 bucks are better spent expanding your record collection instead...

/Q

thanks for the recommendation mate
that is exactly the approach I am planning on taking
BTW what sort of volume are listening to on the IHP.
Are you using Line out or the headphone out.
Also, what settings are you recording your mp3's at
I am currently using VBR extreme fast which works quite nicely for portables.
Not a big gain in performance using the insane option.

Also as far a smusic collection goes i have about 400GB's in FLAC rips sitting on a server so music selection is not a problem,
The best part is I can be selective about what I am putting on the 140.
icon10.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
thanks for the recommendation mate
that is exactly the approach I am planning on taking

Not standard head-fi advice, not to buy new headphone stuff, but I have a feeling we'll kill your wallet in the end anyway
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
BTW what sort of volume are listening to on the IHP.
Are you using Line out or the headphone out.
Also, what settings are you recording your mp3's at

With the HD25-1 I think the volume is just about over 10 (12-13 or something. I don't have the unit with me at the moment...). I use the headphone out (no remote in most cases) since it's the only usable one with the leather case attached.

I create my MP3's in Easy CD Ripper with LAME set to extreme in most cases. I have made a few insane ones of "audiophile quality" albums (I think it improved the sound, but it could be just my imagination...). All my music is on CDs originally so I just rip them to the IHP when I want to listen to them on the move...

/Q

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 10
I also have the IHP-140 and use the sostenuto-1 DAC+AMP, however this is outside of your stated price range but the portable DAC on its own might be a good option and connect that to a budget amp. The plus side is that you get to use the optical out of the player, downside is that there it more things to carry and the amp + dac may still be too expensive, but it should give you good performance from a portable device.

Wordsworth

Aug 19, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quoth
Not standard head-fi advice, not to buy new headphone stuff, but I have a feeling we'll kill your wallet in the end anyway
k1000smile.gif

/Q

Mate
You should check my sig, that advice should have been given long ago, you know

more and more I am thinking that the HD 25-1 should be sufficient on its own from the IHP
I am starting to go off the idea of carrying an amp with the player.
Really unless I sit down, the map would not do much for me.
Then again I might explore it later on.
thankls for your advice.
I am thinking volume 10-15 would be sufficient considering the 25's isolate well.
That plus the sensitivity of the cans should be adequate.

Aug 19, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, an amp doesn't really help the IHP too much. But if you do get one, hook it up the H. out , not the line out. The line is much more forward with less of a soundstage. The H. out sounds much better.

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Yeah, an amp doesn't really help the IHP too much. But if you do get one, hook it up the H. out , not the line out. The line is much more forward with less of a soundstage. The H. out sounds much better.

Hey Kirosia, I think our listening tastes might be different in fact totally opposite.
I really like the Line Out.
one reason for tuning the line out differently might be because the signal is not amped by the IHP's amp.
It is similar to the sound I have noticed on PCDp's via line out and headphone out.

I will find out soon wnough.
another week or 2 and I should have the HD25's

Thanks for chiming in.
ATM the only amp I would consider buying is the Go_Vibe.
About the right size and uniformly praised inlcuding battery life of 70-80 hours from 1 9V battery. Best part is it can drive even cans requiring more biff quite handily.

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 10
Well, the line out does remind me of the grado sound, and since you are obviously a grado fan, this doesn't really surprise me.
biggrin.gif

The go-vibe seems to be a good choice. Norm is a great guy to deal with. I had one of his Elites and it was great for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back